Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Difference between Install and Admin Live CDs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckoeber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Difference between Install and Admin Live CDs? Reply with quote

Hello,

Noticed that there were two versions of the installation ISOs (the Install and Admin ISOs) available for download.

Is there information for the differences between the two?

I didn't find information on what exactly the Admin ISO has.

Thank you.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Install and Admin Live CDs? Reply with quote

ckoeber wrote:
Noticed that there were two versions of the installation ISOs (the Install and Admin ISOs) available for download. Is there information for the differences between the two? I didn't find information on what exactly the Admin ISO has.

ckoeber ... can you point to these iso's as these are completely unknown to me. There are "install-$arch-minimal" and "livedvd-*" iso's but these are the only iso's I'm aware of.

best ... khay
ckoeber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Install and Admin Live CDs? Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
ckoeber wrote:
Noticed that there were two versions of the installation ISOs (the Install and Admin ISOs) available for download. Is there information for the differences between the two? I didn't find information on what exactly the Admin ISO has.

ckoeber ... can you point to these iso's as these are completely unknown to me. There are "install-$arch-minimal" and "livedvd-*" iso's but these are the only iso's I'm aware of.

best ... khay

See this link: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml

Right under alpha there are these set of links for AMD64:

Code:
amd64: iso ( install-cd admin-cd ) stages
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Install and Admin Live CDs? Reply with quote

ckoeber wrote:
Code:

ckoeber ... yeah, no idea, they don't exist for other arches. I couldn't only guess what the purpose of "admin" is ... and I see no mention of it on the release page. Sorry I can't say any more than that, as I said, such an iso is completely new to me.

best ... khay
ckoeber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Install and Admin Live CDs? Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
ckoeber wrote:
Code:

ckoeber ... yeah, no idea, they don't exist for other arches. I couldn't only guess what the purpose of "admin" is ... and I see no mention of it on the release page. Sorry I can't say any more than that, as I said, such an iso is completely new to me.

best ... khay

No problem; thanks for looking into.

Just curious, hopefully we will get some more information on this or another post. Seems like it might be a useful livecd with a bunch of utilities, etc.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between Install and Admin Live CDs? Reply with quote

ckoeber wrote:
Just curious, hopefully we will get some more information on this or another post. Seems like it might be a useful livecd with a bunch of utilities, etc.

ckoeber ... the admin iso is only an additional 24mb, but if this is the case then it seems confusing to call one "install" and the other "admin" if they can both be used for install. In fact I don't see why the additional iso is necessary if the "admin" iso can serve as "install" ... why would the latter be needed, its not like the image is over the CD size limit with whatever additional packages come as part of 'admin'.

best ... khay
ckoeber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between Install and Admin Live CDs? Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:
ckoeber wrote:

ckoeber ... the admin iso is only an additional 24mb, but if this is the case then it seems confusing to call one "install" and the other "admin" if they can both be used for install. In fact I don't see why the additional iso is necessary if the "admin" iso can serve as "install" ... why would the latter be needed, its not like the image is over the CD size limit with whatever additional packages come as part of 'admin'.

best ... khay

I see. Thanks for looking into it.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: stay away from admincd Reply with quote

I briefly played with it about a month ago and found that it breaks emerges of ebuilds that need to setuid files.
ckoeber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: stay away from admincd Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:
I briefly played with it about a month ago and found that it breaks emerges of ebuilds that need to setuid files.

Hmmm, if the admin iso is buggy then at least there should be text explaining what it does and what it is recommended for.

Minor quibble.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just guessing.
I could imagine that the admin cd is one that has some additional tools for admins but is really just a CD you can boot and then chroot into the system you want to administer. Given that most of those tools are on the minimal cd as well, it's possibly just minimal cd + firmwares, so you can get wifi cards and other stuff running, which you often can't using the minimal cd only.
Still, an explanation would be nice.
Now it's time for the harvest
Killerchronic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This i find quite stupid, release a new version of a minimal disc and not explain the difference. I admin all my machines, i also install all my machines.

Some dev needs to explain the difference instead of leaving us to guess. Fucking ridiculous to release something and not say why.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Bug 352152: Create a new administration-cd target for amd64/x86 for a brief explanation.

@Killerchronic, don't fault the devs too much for letting development get ahead of documentation. If a feature is still in-work, it's pretty natural for this to happen in a volunteer development community like Gentoo. Not optimal, I know.

- John
CZ_JC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
See Bug 352152: Create a new administration-cd target for amd64/x86 for a brief explanation.

@Killerchronic, don't fault the devs too much for letting development get ahead of documentation. If a feature is still in-work, it's pretty natural for this to happen in a volunteer development community like Gentoo. Not optimal, I know.

- John

Right. I'm switching to Funtoo.
harperkjh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Admin CD Reply with quote

I know this thread is remarkably old, but there isn't much information from any direction about what the Admin CD is.
In looking at one of the download Mirror repositories, drilling down into the ISOs, you can find the Admin CD ISO under the "hardened" directory. I guess that means it contains the extra security measures, or at least, the packages required to implement them.
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help someone finding this information as I just did, a newer thread answered this question.

What is the "Admin CD?"
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8695637.html#8695732

pjp wrote:
I agree that it ought to at least have a comparably minimum mention here as does the minimal CD.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bootable_media
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bootable_media wrote:
Additional included packages can be seen in this diff:
http://ix.io/4CkS

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: