View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akirahinoshiro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: vesa resolution Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a problem with my t61p.
I know my graphics card died the nvidia thing but in vesa mode I can watch movies up to 720p.
My problem is the only working mode is vesa but it only runs with 1024x768.
What I want to know is how do I run it with an resolution of 16:10 in best way 1920x1200.
How do I do this?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, determine which graphics chipset is in use. In order to do that, look up what a t61p is. Upon discovering that it is most likely a model of Lenovo Thinkpad, look up the specifications, which indicate the type of graphics chipset in use. Then check the wiki for references. From there select which drivers you want to use, or install both and switch between them to determine for yourself which suits your needs.
akirahinoshiro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a quadro 570m in this notebook but I have the nvidia bug so I can not use the nvidia driver anymore.
I tried editing the xorg.conf for the resolution but Xorg ignores my settings.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you be more specific? Which "nvidia bug"? What did the xorg.conf that you created contain? What was being ignored? Have you tried the nouveau drivers?
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 4 driver options with nvidia cards:

VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nouveau nv vesa"

Nvidia and Nouveau should be described in the provided links.

Nv is only 2D, and is no longer maintained by nVidia. x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv is still in portage, so it should work.

Vesa is not nVidia card specific - it is a common language all cards speak and all operating systems used for their boot screens until some years ago. No 3D, no 2D acceleration or special multimedia features. Vesa mode is still used for booting if you have nvidia/nv driver (before X11 kicks in).

The resolutions/color depths provided by vesa depend on the video card bios, and can be different with every card/manufacturer. I doubt any (modern) nvidia card provides 1920x1200 in vesa mode. Maybe you can find out with "vbetool" from "sys-libs/lrmi", but the package is hard masked due to maintainer retirement. Don't know if it still works. See here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=160013&p=1280361
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: