Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
wgetpaste /usr/src/linux/.config
let's see if anything is there and if so what it is.

Code:
emerge -s genkernel
is genkernel or genkernel-next installed? both install the executable as genkernel. wondering if either or both is now behaving oddly?

I will go do
Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all
using genkernel-next version and see if it works as I expect.
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, too late :( I've overwritten that. But we can test later on the next compile, I'm sure there will be many. :x

Actually, I would suggest we test the very kernel with some option, like the buffer size I mention, so we can see if the config.gz you ask is somehow not reflecting the changes but the kernel is... if so, then maybe there is some kernel option interfering with stuff, like the kernel debug messages I had to enable as per guide [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
Quote:
Check the current GPU, Memory clocks and voltage (needs to have kernel debugfs enabled):

However, I didn't find that exact name there so I may have pressed the wrong red button :o though I think I just added "kernel debug" which seems close enough.. though i cant confirm that wasn't already a default option... (oh, maybe that .config I pasted have the defaults, lol)

It says genkernel-next is not installed.

what this version does is save a .bak file, which seems to be the one the user is editing, though it says it is saving the "previous" one. I can't quite be sure solely from timestamps what really is, there are many of the same size too.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
zcat /proc/config.zip | wgetpaste
is a write out of the configuration of the running kernel
Code:
wgetpaste /usr/src/linux/.config
is a write out of the configuration used in making the kernel
after a reboot to a recompiled kernel they should be identical
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That was it... genkernel was ignoring stuff...

It's not even on log in yet but I noticed the "processing uevents" did not change the screen resolution.. Im on raw console mode now, which means the radeon module is not being loaded.. though probably the fglrx isn't either. Maybe modprobe will accept it now.... brb :)
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There I fixed..." :lol: Unfortunately (again,lol), only the hellish, now unneeded, wireless though :cry:

But good news, we are one step from fixing the fglrx... radeon is out of the way (not even showing under kernel modules anymore, in lspci -k)

Thanks, man! \o/

Now, modprobe says the following for fglrx: could not insert: Exec format error

samething when I tried it earlier on the bare kernel (the backup I mentioned on the extlinux .conf), so maybe it must be compiled specifically for it?

maybe re-emerge ati-drivers?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe re-emerge ati-drivers? exactly right
new kernel will require new emerge of ati-drivers in perpetuity, remerge of evdev driver and/or xorg-server used to be sometimes required with new kernel
reboot after emerge ati-drivers
aticonfig --initial
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genkernel-next behaved properly with changes made in genkernel --menuconfig all being saved properly in /usr/src/linux/.config and used in building the new kernel.
what did you do differently this last time to get the changes to take effect?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the process I've established that
Quote:
# CONFIG_RTL8180 is not set
is the default setting for genkernel kernels. Another
Code:
genkernel --menuconfig all
edit to add:
Quote:
Device Drivers --->
[*] Network device support --->
[*] Wireless LAN --->
<M> Realtek 8180/8185 PCI support
should restore wifi
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I suggested in my Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:31 am ; Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:23 pm and Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:27 pm posts! :D

edits 1 and 3 on that last one.. I explicitly had to go there and save the bugger to the exact name .config. Different names for different versions of kernel experiments is simply ignored by genkernel! 8O Even if you answer yes when it asks you to save, before quitting, and it suggests you save on the last name used. I would suppose the program should pick the return value of menuconfig or something, but no... :roll:

AAAaaarggg... I'm starting to love Gentoo again. :evil: no, really...

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-986684-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html?sid=7927b6a6356cd7f802892e6d54063923

Quote:
new xorg-server. xorg-server & evdev may need to be specifically re-emerged for a new kernel version, based on past (bad) experiences, may no longer be true.

I remember ^_^ Thanks again. I'll try them in order and report back, so we can update our database of bad experiences. lol.

You see, infidel, Murphy's law can be used to change the future. It was just a matter of saying "many more kernel compiles will be necessary" and boom! Solved. :lol: I'll found a new cult on that fundamental, sacred, belief. May Mercy have Murphy on our souls.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been in that trap; should have guessed what was happening earlier; you were using the load an alternate, save an alternate menu choices. the devil's invention!! now compounded by adding load save to select exit help at the bottom of every page
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe, yeah.. but I do think a save feature is important specially for people hacking the kernel.. I would certainly be 100x more frustrated if I had to re-check every option I changed over and over for every experiment, which I suppose were relatively few compared to those people. And saving in a particular screen saves the whole thing, I believe, right? :?

Anyway, wanna help me test the xorg/evdev thing? I configured everything (aticonfig finally detected the device! \o/) but startx made the monitor go out of sync.. this has happened before with this monitor with a different box, and was a simple matter of setting the resolution and Hz right, but.. aticonfig --resolution=0,1024x768 complains that screen0 does not exist and, following this:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Configuration#Setting_your_Resolution

leads to xrandr -q complaining it can't open display (perversely similar to aticonfig, back where we started :lol: )

There is no option for monitor under the Device section of xorg.conf.. so maybe there is another aticonfig command to set it up (maybe it even bypasses xrandr)

Any suggestions before I give up and re-emerge xorg? (it may fall into the same problem if it's a simple resolution problem, and we lose the testing opportunity)
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your /var/log/Xorg.0.log show edid information? if it does and if the manufacturer of the display did not screw it up; the very simple xorg.conf generated by aticonfig --initial and the x11 scripts should result in a good enough resolution to get you into the GUI. I haven't had a complex home made xorg.conf for about 8 years now. what display are you using? it may have a preferred resolution. if you have the gui working, the amd control center may be the best way to play with settings. is eselect opengl list showing ati selected?
Code:
emerge acpid
rc-update add acpid default
maybe?
my xorg.conf:
Quote:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
hd5770 driving a 1080p flat screen over hdmi. my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/98-keyboard.conf
Quote:
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "keyboard-all"
Driver "evdev"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp:switch,grp_led:scroll,compose:rwin,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
Option "XkbVariant" ",qwerty"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection
added so I can escape from GUI misfires. xorg.conf.d is where you should add your own good xorg.conf ideas
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an old CRT but it was quite good at the time, a Samsung SyncMaster 753dfx. Could great Samsung have messed up??? 8O

The log has EDID on it, but doesn't look good:

fglrx(0): says on all lines:

Display0: Failed to get EDID information
EDID for output DFP1 (and another line for each DFP2-7)
Cannot get EDID information for CRT1
EDID for output CRT1

I copied over VertRefresh and HorizRefresh from another box using this monitor, other stuff like default depth, preferredMode (from the guide above), nothing worked. Also that box had CRT-0 as model name, and i changed to crt-1 (as per log above), but this is probb only aesthetics. So I'm hoping it's simply because, as you say, emerge Xorg is necessary. Perhaps evdev isn't, that will be the last test :-)

And speaking of evdev, the xorg.conf is using kbd :o evdev was emerged before, what happened? lol
anyway, yeah, i should have tested the ctrl-alt-bksp was working before (there was no need, everything worked, lol), now there is no way to be sure that Option is not working, or is only for evdev, etc.... I'm ALT'n into tty1 and CTRL-C'n, hoping it doesn't break subsequent tests, although I reboot before a more significant one.

btw, I had acpid already added to the boot runlevel... would adding it to default be redundant? I did anyway, but didnt change anything. I'll be removing it later. :)

Anything else before I emerge xorg for good? And bump against the next problem... : )
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you will need to write your own modelines for your monitor. In the bad old days before automatic xorg.onf I would specify my monitor name and xorg.conf in google and hope someone had figured it out already and posted the solution.
there used to be a couple of programs that would write a xorg.conf for you--I think they no longer work. there were a couple of modeline calculator guides.
I think there was/is a lot of variation in implementing edid formats among monitor manufacturers.

so make model of monitor? if the manual is still around specifications?
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied over a line from a box that uses this monitor flawlessly. It reads:
Code:
Option "metamodes" "CRT: 1024x768 +0+0"

in fact the resolution was greater. So this should be fine, I actually prefer 1024x768 on default font and icon sizes... (dunno how to make them bigger in all environments or any)

is that what you mean by modelines?

dunno where the manual may be, the model info that I know was only what I said above. SyncMaster 753dfx.

Also, the X was working great with the radeon driver, do you think this would change for the fglrx? :?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf pls
Code:
wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log
wgetpaste /var/log/xorg.errors
you may not have a .errors file
going to google a while see if any memories surface

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-395579-start-0.html might be of interest; ignore edid probably a good idea
alternately
Code:
genkernel --meuconfig all
and disable EDID
Quote:
Device Drivers --->
Graphics support --->
[ ] Enable firmware EDID

metamodes may be codeword for a set of modelines, memory says modelines are a set of space separated numbers

found example:
Quote:
Section "Modes"
Identifier "Modes[0]"
Modeline "1680x1050" 117.69 1680 1776 1952 2224 1050 1051 1054 1080
Modeline "1600x1024" 119.10 1600 1696 1864 2128 1024 1025 1028 1056
Modeline "1600x1000" 118.59 1600 1696 1864 2128 1000 1001 1004 1032
Modeline "1400x1050" 118.42 1400 1488 1640 1880 1050 1051 1054 1086
Modeline "1600x900" 119.00 1600 1696 1864 2128 900 901 904 932
EndSection

and an explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFree86_Modeline

and specs for your monitor: http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-syncmaster-753dfx-crt-monitor-17-series/specs/
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpaste.net/show/197230

Edit: Sorry, doing it through links is kinda cumbersome, below are more details:

A quick glance seem to confirm I only need a xorg re-emerge... (suspicious activity under lib64/)
Many of the options tried are "not being used", including the last suggestion from that thread.

But it doesn't seem needed, the thing can actually detect the CRT and even probe it for a whole bunch of its accepted resolutions! More evidence it only needs a xorg re-emerge :)

What's more, all those modelines you talk about, are already there! :D
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Same problem... :?

emerged xorg-server, it required a rebuild of evdev...

same out-of-sync problem, tried re-emerging evdev, no luck either. Re-issuing aticonfig --initial had no effect.

looking at Xorg.0.log there seems to detecting ok, however, look how strange:

one line says output DFP1 is using monitor section Monitor0 and my "preferredMode" 1024x768.
Output DFP2 through 7 has no monitor section and, more importantly, Output CRT1 has no monitor section.

3 lines later: Connected Display0: CRT1;
then "Display0: failed to get EDID info"
it then lists EDID for all DFP1 through 7, which are empty, then complains "Cannot get EDID info for CRT1" but then lists the same line for EDID info as the previous DFPs, this time (I suppose) not empty as the next line says: "Printing probed modes for output CRT1" and lists all supported resolutions.

Remember the first line I described said it was using monitor section for DFP1? now it says: Output DFP1 disconnected. And remember how CRT1 had no monitor section? Now: "Output CRT1 connected" and even selects the max resolution from the list above! Bypassing the preferred mode it read above, which later on it says Option "preferredMode" not used!

It seems confused about DFP1 and CRT1... could it possibly be because I'm using a DVI to VGA adapter? (my card has no vga output and came with that adapter.)

How can I direct CRT1 to the Monitor Section on xorg.conf?

edit: When I run only X, no dm or de, it closes "successfully", emerged xterm and tried only that, same problem (out of sync), but allowed to read one line at the end there saying: "No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@2:0:1) found"
However, in xorg.conf, Section Device says: "BusID "PCI:2:0:0"" ... should I try changing it to 2:0:1?
edit2: Nah.. now it complains about 2:0:0, it seems X tests all possible slots on everything.. pci's, monitors, output ports...
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "native resolution" for your monitor is 1280x1024.

Code:
aticonfig --resolution=1280x1024
aticonfig --force-monitor=crt1,notv

http://dev.man-online.org/man1/aticonfig/#lbAR may help

Code:
xdpyinfo | less | wgetpaste

BTW I am now using radeon vice fglrx on this machine. update world yesterday, reboot, no startx, found out dev had masked ruby 1.8 causing hassle with portage--still trying to sort out why aticonfig and fglrx stopped working

This is my last fglrx Xorg.0.log, the whole log!!
Quote:
[ 80.638]
X.Org X Server 1.15.0
Release Date: 2013-12-27
[ 80.638] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[ 80.638] Build Operating System: Linux 3.14.0-gentoo x86_64 Gentoo
[ 80.638] Current Operating System: Linux fx8150 3.14.0-gentoo #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 4 13:16:50 EDT 2014 x86_64
[ 80.638] Kernel command line: root=PARTUUID=89bc9633-fbc9-4a90-8a67-e058cb655d95 ro init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd quiet
[ 80.639] Build Date: 04 April 2014 07:28:32AM
[ 80.639]
[ 80.639] Current version of pixman: 0.32.4
[ 80.639] Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
[ 80.639] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[ 80.639] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Apr 4 13:42:24 2014
[ 80.639] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[ 80.639] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 80.639] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've tried that above (Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 pm post)...

but aticonfig still complains screen0 does not exist, I believe this to require X to be already running (that is, it just changes current resolutions).. just as glxinfo, xrandr, all seem to require... thus I also tried running startx from a different terminal, going back to this terminal after running X and trying it again, but still complains. Btw, you must specify a screen, before the resolution, or it will spit out an obscure complaint about Section # which will have you looking at xorg.conf (fell on that trap :evil: ) while it simply needs an integer and a comma (e.g. --resolution=0,80x25 :lol: my current res)

that second command does not seem to exist in my version of aticonfig. (force-monitor)

xdpyinfo (had to emerge), got the same problems as the above ones (probably equivalent to glxinfo?), they need X already running (different terminal didn't work either).. the X prefix (infix for glxinfo?) is probably for this reason.. :(

thanks for the link, I've read the aticonfig help which shows up when ran without a parameter, but this is more convenient :)

Quote:
This is my last fglrx Xorg.0.log, the whole log!!

Wow, it simply breaks midway like this with no ceremony?! 8O

Unless there is more info on some xorg.error log, it may actually be symptom of the same problem I have here! That's because the very next line it sets the ServerLayout, first thing there is |--> Screen "Screen0" (0) :?
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW I am now using radeon vice fglrx

Sorry for the language barrier here. :oops: You mean you are using radeon over fglrx, changed back or is vice yet another driver? :?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently using VIDEO_CARDS="radeon", the open source driver x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati, instead of VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx", the oem driver x11-drivers/ati-drivers
will switch back next time I need some frustration

have another machine that went through the ruby mess a day before this one and was hanging with a black blank screen, that was a gnome problem.
MarcoMarin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
currently using VIDEO_CARDS="radeon", the open source driver x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati, instead of VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx", the oem driver x11-drivers/ati-drivers

But did opengl work? I had that working before we began this exchange, but there was no acceleration (either root or user, so this rules out permissions)
Quote:
will switch back next time I need some frustration

hahahaahahaha... I would trade some with you, I've got so much I'm ready to move on to shame now and fall back to reinstalling Windows :oops:
Quote:
have another machine that went through the ruby mess a day before this one and was hanging with a black blank screen, that was a gnome problem.

I was thinking this could be a USE variable thing with X... I saw a -xinerama option in blue in one of those re-emerges, maybe there is something lacking there, but i cant see anything.. fglrx is already there... and i think it explicitly puts -radeon. :?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to get some acceleration using the radeon driver.

however, would like to see what your xorg.conf looks like fresh from an aticonfig --initial -->
Code:
aticonfig --initial
wgetpaste /etc/X11/xorg.conf
url?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news for me: fglrx restored and working
the sequence:
configure and rebuild the kernel for the open source driver, set VIDEO_CARDS="radeon", unmerge ati-drivers, emerge xorg-server xf86-video-ati xf86-input-evdev, reboot, startx, enjoy the open source driver and kms for a day or so,
followed by
configure and rebuild the kernel for the closed source driver, set VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx", unmerge xf86-video-ati, emerge xorg-server ati-drivers xf86-input-evdev, reboot, startx, it works

bad news: I have no idea what was wrong nor exactly what fixed it. I suspect masking ruby 1.8, or my response to it, destroyed some file(s) or link(s) or changed some permission that is now (accidentally) restored.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: