Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Thanks for the hint with USE=-gtk; somehow I overlooked this :oops:
Of course, xdg-user-dirs alone is not a strong dependency, and I think one can justify to add it unconditionally.
However, installing it (even after reemerging fvwm-crystal) did not change anything - no icons (also no $HOME). It seems desktop-manager is not starting here at all. Does it have to be started manually or is it visible only with a certain

You must enable it in the main menu -> Preferences -> Desktop manager -> FVWM-Crystal.
When done, you will get at least the $HOME icon. On this icon, the contextual menu will let you to enable/disable the xdg user directories and the mounted partitions independently of each other.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that doesn't work after enabling it into the preferences, you must change the command line that start fvwm-crystal into something like that:
Code:
exec fvwm-crystal 2>.errors.fvwm-crystal

and look in that file for some error message.

I started a wiki page here. It should be nice if someone can review my English. And of course, you are free to add whatever you may think is appropriate, my developer point of view can be somewhat different from an user point of view.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
You must enable it in the main menu -> Preferences -> Desktop manager -> FVWM-Crystal

Thanks; it seems I never recognized that menu point.
It is strange: All icons shown on your screenshot appear here (even more beacuse I have more partitions) - no matter whether xdg-user-dirs is installed or not (I even tried on a chroot where xdg-user-dirs was never installed). So either xdg-user-dirs is not strictly needed or I have installed something else which can serve as a substitute. I have installed xdg-utils, so maybe this is the substitute? In this case one could have an "|| ( x11-misc/xdg-utils x11-misc/xdg-user-dirs )" dependency.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in the file $FVWM_SYSTEMDIR/components/apps/DesktopIcons.

This file use 3 different ways to show the icons.

- $HOME will be shown in all cases. It is mandatory because it have the preferences in its contextual menu.

- environmental variables are used to show the xdg directories (Movies, Desktop, Download, ...). The variables are set up by components/functions/Xdg-User-Dirs which search for ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs. If it doesn't exist, xdg-user-dirs-update is used to create the xdg directories with the locale in use. At the same time, it will create the user-dirs.dirs file. When done, that file is used to export the variables used by DesktopIcons.

That imply if you used another desktop which support the xdg user directories, they are already created and user-dir.dirs should exist, and it will work out of the box. You can remove that file, logout and login, the xdg icons will not work if xdg-user-dirs-update is not into the system.

- /proc/mounts is scanned by gawk and sort to create /tmp/Icons-Drives, which is used to create the icons for the mounted partitions.

It is also a helper script, scripts/DesktopCheckMounts, that check /proc/mounts every 5 seconds and when needed, update /tmp/Icons-Drives and tell FVWM to update the icons.

EDIT: It is many different possibilities in /proc/mounts for the different sorts of mounted partitions. I was not able to test them all. If you have a mounted partition that doesn't show on the desktop, I want to know it and to have the corresponding line in /proc/mounts. Thanks.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. Indeed, an ancient ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs existed on both partitions I tried (I had listed only recently generated files from ~/.config and missed user-dirs.dirs since it was so ancient).
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so many functions into FVWM-Crystal that I don't remember them all. When I am looking for something, I use 2 ways.

First, it is good to know the order of the file loading. The first file loaded by fvwm is $[FVWM_SYSTEMDIR]/config. From that file, everything is loaded via components/Standard, components/functions/LoadCommonStuffs, the recipe in use and finally the userconfig file.

Second I use searchstring in the addons directory to search for given strings. I put it in ~/bin and it take a string as parameter. Be aware it is not bullet proof. If you give it no string, it will search all the files in the current tree and output a lot of crap in the console. Anyway, it is very useful to search for a given function, or whatever string you may want to search for, into FVWM-Crystal files.

Be also aware that normally, the user configurations will be kept between release. That include all the preferences available in FVWM-Crystal and the userconfig file. But if you copy file from $FVWM_SYSTEMDIR into $FVWM_USERDIR and modify them, the only way to be sure your modifications will not break in case of update, or hide some new or updated stuff, is to contribute them to the project.

A good example of that is the style changes I begun to made it was 2 years ago. The style loading was a real mess, and if most things was working, it was very subtle and deep rooted bugs. It took me some time, but the result is good because most, if not all, of these subtle bugs was fixed and FVWM-Crystal is now able to apply all its preference changes without restart (at the exception of the Nautilus and ROX-Filer delstop icons managers and the key modifiers). That included the introduction of LoadCommonStuffs, and a few things was moved from the recipes to that file. Another result of that was a better standardization of many functions between the recipes, the most obvious being the desktop geometry.

Some users may not like that standardization but it really make easier to implement new things, and FVWM-Crystal a better software which is even easier to use now than before.

On the other hand, I have no planned new big changes, and even the introduction of the FVWM-Crystal desktop icon manager didn't changed nothing of the existing functionalities.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.3.2 is out. It bring:

- 2 new recipes for laptops with ACPI support
- a smaller clock button to fit these recipes

and several fixes:

- force the Gambas applications to not use their specified user and program location, but let fvwm do its job.
- increased delay before bringing the Xephyr windows in full screen.
- ACPI batterie applet: changed the checks from /dev to /sys; patch from Debian.
- recipe Default with ACPI: fixed height and colorset in the bottom bar; removed IconMan button warning.
- recipe Lapleft and LapRight: fix stalonetray startup with 1 icon width in the preferences; the clock use now a fixed 24 pixels height.
- Stalonetray give now the same alpha rendering than trayer, instead of the inverse rendering. This make easier to implement it, we can rely on root transparency like with trayer instead of button transparency.
- the launch of the the nested Xephyr session use now $HOME directly instead of a nasty infostore variable. This is both simpler and more robust.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv, if I understand well your patch into your ebuild:
Code:
sed -i -e 's!/usr/local!${EPREFIX%/}/usr!' -- "${S}/Makefile"

it will change
Code:
prefix?=/usr/local

into
Code:
prefix?=${EPREFIX%/}/usr

and later you have:
Code:
emake \
      DESTDIR="${D}" \
      docdir="${EPREFIX%/}/usr/share/doc/${PF}" \
      prefix="${EPREFIX%/}/usr" \
      install

This is redundant. You pass EPREFIX with prefix=.., so you don't need to patch the Makefile. Be also aware that some paths are hardcoded into fvwm-crystal at install time, and I tested them only with prefix=/usr, /usr/local and $HOME/local.

Also, I don't see the point to use EPREFIX instead of a regular portage install. In install:, $(DESTDIR)/etc/X11/Sessions doesn't use $prefix, and it will not follow $EPREFIX either. At that time, the file in that directory is more a compatibility file for old systems not using the desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions, than anything else. It is not even used in fvwm-crystal anymore, I will maybe remove it in some future release.

And last I like your use of a doc file instead of einfo.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.
Quote:
Code:
sed -i -e 's!/usr/local!${EPREFIX%/}/usr!' -- "${S}/Makefile"

This was a security measurement for code possibly not covered by prefix (IIRC some earlier versions had /usr/local hardcoded on some other places; but I might misremember due to a mistake from my side, because I had expected originally that "emake" would automatically pass "prefix=...")
Since you confirm that it is unneeded, it is probably safe to remove it. Done.
Quote:
Be also aware that some paths are hardcoded into fvwm-crystal at install time, and I tested them only with prefix=/usr, /usr/local and $HOME/local.

I do not have any prefix systems, so I never tested either. However, beginning with EAPI 3 ebuilds are supposed to be prefix-aware.
Quote:
Also, I don't see the point to use EPREFIX instead of a regular portage install.

What is a "regular portage install"? Do you mean not to set prefix explicitly? Then the install would go into /usr/local; ebuilds are not supposed to install anything there.
Quote:
In install:, $(DESTDIR)/etc/X11/Sessions doesn't use $prefix, and it will not follow $EPREFIX either.

This is clearly a bug in the ebuild which is now fixed: It should be "DESTDIR=${ED}" (instead of "DESTDIR=${D}") of course. Here you see that I did not test EPREFIX support :wink:
Quote:
And last I like your use of a doc file instead of einfo.

Since gentoo provides a new eclass for this, it seems that all gentoo developers are supposed to change to it. However, it seems it was not sufficiently announced so that I bet that most developers do not even know that such an eclass exists.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Quote:
Be also aware that some paths are hardcoded into fvwm-crystal at install time, and I tested them only with prefix=/usr, /usr/local and $HOME/local.

I do not have any prefix systems, so I never tested either. However, beginning with EAPI 3 ebuilds are supposed to be prefix-aware.

The adjusted path are internal paths referring to $prefix. In the Makefile, install: call correctpath which fix the paths accordingly to $prefix.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, I don't see the point to use EPREFIX instead of a regular portage install.

What is a "regular portage install"? Do you mean not to set prefix explicitly? Then the install would go into /usr/local; ebuilds are not supposed to install anything there.

No, with prefix like in portage's ebuild:
Code:
emake \
      DESTDIR="${D}" \
      docdir="/usr/share/doc/${PF}" \
      prefix="/usr" \
      install

The gentoo devs doesn't like the use of EPREFIX when it is not needed. At the same time, the devman doesn't explain when it is needed, it just say something like special case...

Quote:
Quote:
In install:, $(DESTDIR)/etc/X11/Sessions doesn't use $prefix, and it will not follow $EPREFIX either.

This is clearly a bug in the ebuild which is now fixed: It should be "DESTDIR=${ED}" (instead of "DESTDIR=${D}") of course. Here you see that I did not test EPREFIX support :wink:

You are right on this, as the correctpath function in the Makefile make the same function as a configure phase, and portage use --prefix=${EPREFIX}/usr by default, which correspond to ${ED} in the install phase. I now think the right fix is to have both DESTDIR=${ED} and prefix="${EPREFIX}/usr". Thanks for pointing that out.
Sibwara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment choisi-t-on le navigateur par défaut?

j'ai viré firefox et je voulais utiliser chrome à la place

dans mon .fvwm-crystal/preferences j'ai un fichier BROWSER, je l'ai modifié comme ceci:
SetEnv BROWSER /usr/lib64/chromium-browser/chromium-launcher.sh
j'ai bien une variable globale $BROWSER

mais pas mal de programme comme hexchat ou zaproxy, ouvrent les liens avec seamonkey (un clone de firefox que j'ai encore d'installé)

merci
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$BROWSER est une vieille pratique toujours en usage, mais seulement quelques fonctions de fvwm-crystal et les programmes qui utilisent cette variable vont fonctionner avec.

Aujourd'hui, beaucoup de programmes utilisent les utilitaires dans xdg-utils. Le problème avec eux est que ni fvwm, ni fvwm-crystal ne sont reconnus par la norme de freedesktop (encore une connerie de cette équipe, seuls les bureaux authorisés fonctionnent, on dirait du windows et ses drm.) si bien que 'xdg-setting --set' ne peut pas être utilisé, voir http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/shared-mime-info-spec/

Pour une solution, voir https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/arch-linux/XT_12YTNFj4
Il faut éditer ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
Sibwara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickel merci beaucoup

J'ai observé un truc assez bizarre, quand je lance fvwm-crystal avec slim plutot que gdm (je voulais un truc plus léger)

du coup j'ai un curseur énorme (3 à 4 fois sa taille normale), et la taille de base de mes fenetres à l'ouverture (surtout le temrinal) est plus grande que d'habitude (1/3 voir 1/2 de l'ecran au lieu de 1/4 maxi)

as-tu déja observé ce comportement?
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J'ai jamais utilisé slim. Avec startx, le thème de curseur peut être défini dans ~/.Xdefaults
Il y a des exemples dans /usr/share/fvwm-crystal/addons

Code:
Xcursor.theme : Oxygen_White_Big
Xcursor.size: 48

Sibwara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci, j'ai résolu le probleme, j'ai fait pointé slim vers /etc/X11/Sessions plutot que vers /usr/share/xsessions et ça m'a remit le curseur normal.

J'ai vu en fouillant notamment dans les fonction d'extinction (parce que du coup dès que je voulais eteindre, j'avais un xterm me demandant mon mot de passe) que tu as fait un bon boulot d'integration à gdm, c'est vraiment bien.

Mais je me demandais s'il ne serait pas mieux, à long terme, de se désolidariser de gdm, qui est lourd et qui tire des dépendances gnome dans tous le sens. Moi en fait j'ai du l'abandonner car mon overlay pentoo masque des dépendance gnome necessaires à gdm (notamment en raison du systemd un peu forcé partout).
Slim est très léger et plutot beau (dans un minimalisme apréciable), cela me semble plus convenir à la philosophie fvwm-crystal.

Su ce j'arrète d'écrire en français, je viens de voir que j'ai posté sur la version internationale.

Sorry for frenchless speakers ^^ I apologyze
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sibwara wrote:
J'ai vu en fouillant notamment dans les fonction d'extinction (parce que du coup dès que je voulais eteindre, j'avais un xterm me demandant mon mot de passe) que tu as fait un bon boulot d'integration à gdm, c'est vraiment bien.

It is just the session file that make it to work with gdm. Nothing more. It is no dependency on gdm or any particular way to start X, and it will never be. Here, I always use startx, and it just work too. The advantage for me is it is easier to log the errors, and with gdm sometime it doesn't work well when debugging a function.

~/.xinitrc
Code:
exec /usr/bin/fvwm-crystal 2>.errors.fvwm-crystal

From the preferences menu, Silent operations toggle if I want only the fvwm-crystal errors or all the crap from the other softwares too. It also toggle the bip in the pc speaker/buzzer (I hate them).
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year!

FVWM-Crystal-3.4.0 is out with a lot of new features and fixes.

Among them, the Exit menu now support hibernation/resume via pm-utils, automatic hibernation too, the amixer control was rewritten to be able to control any mixer control with 'Volume' into their name, and a lot of bug fixes.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Version is bumped in the mv overlay.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a bugtracker, or should reports go by PM to the maintainer, or should they be reported here?

The receipt "Dock" seems to contain a typo: It attempts to start FvwmScript-Clock-small_date, but there is only a script FvwmScript-Clock-small, so the clock does not appear.
Edit: I just realized that the previous version of fvwm-crystal contained FvwmScript-Clock-small_date, so maybe the bug is that this file was removed?
lost+found
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the new release. Much appreciated! 8)

I'll continue using the Amiga recipe, and the SVN version.
(Found the new ebuild here: it includes the '9999' live ebuild too.)
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost+found wrote:
(Found the new ebuild here: it includes the '9999' live ebuild too.)

Thanks for the link. The mv overlay has been updated to use that ebuild(s) (somewhat modified, e.g. updated to EAPI=6 and without subversion dependency for the non-live version).
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Is there a bugtracker, or should reports go by PM to the maintainer, or should they be reported here?

The preferred way is the mailing list, but many peoples prefer to mail me directly. Here goes also well.

mv wrote:
The receipt "Dock" seems to contain a typo: It attempts to start FvwmScript-Clock-small_date, but there is only a script FvwmScript-Clock-small, so the clock does not appear.
Edit: I just realized that the previous version of fvwm-crystal contained FvwmScript-Clock-small_date, so maybe the bug is that this file was removed?

I reverted the commit that removed that file. Thanks for the report.

mv wrote:
Thanks for the link. The mv overlay has been updated to use that ebuild(s) (somewhat modified, e.g. updated to EAPI=6 and without subversion dependency for the non-live version).

Thanks for the updated ebuild. I just updated the bug with it.
gulivert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great JOB Dominique!
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the ebuild in bug 499644 with the REQUIRED_USE variable (it is obligatory to set in when the python-r1 eclass is used, as mentioned into the doc).
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulivert wrote:
Great JOB Dominique!

Thanks,

It was a little bit time consuming, so I will take some holidays now :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: