[SOLVED]postfix/dovecot: auth process broken/no worthy mechs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]postfix/dovecot: auth process broken/no worthy mechs Reply with quote

I've tried to get a mailserver to run on my Gentoo box I intend to use as a server for everything I don't want to trust the cloud with anymore, but I can't manage. I read just about every instruction manual or how-to guide I found, restarted from scratch twice and still I end up stuck.

Guide I followed at the last try: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Simple_Virtual_User_Mail_System
Outcome: Postfix is running, Dovecot is running. I can set up accounts with PostfixAdmin and mail sent to the server is received, I can read it locally on the server using a text editor.
What doesn't work: SMTP outgoing, POP3, IMAP. Trying to connect with Thunderbird I get "wrong password". Trying telnet on POP3 or IMAP yields the reply "Auth process broken" and a forced disconnect before I could even HELO. I have subscribed to a relay server for outgoing mail because I'm on a dynamic IP, I've set up the box to authenticate itself to the relay with the proper credentials (retried that several times following different guides all apparently correct, judging from people positively commenting on them), but the relay always says "nope, you need to auth" - I guess that's related to the errors above.
I've been googling around for solutions but couldn't find any that worked, so I'm officially giving up before I flip the table.
If any of you have knowledge, time to spare and a bit of patience with a noob who used to think he wasn't a noob until this started, I'd really appreciate it.

Now, I'm sure you need config files, log files etc., but since all those non-helpful guides left me utterly confused, I have no idea where to start. So.. tell me what you need and I'll happily provide.

Last edited by chaoscommander on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to make your log files more verbose, perhaps also set the debug parameters.

Can you please show the output of
# dovecot -n

And also what you have in you log files after you set everything to debug and verbose mode.
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

output of dovecot -n:
Code:
# 2.2.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
doveconf: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean config file with: doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:104: add auth_ prefix to all settings inside auth {} and remove the auth {} section completely
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:106: passdb sql {} has been replaced by passdb { driver=sql }
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:109: userdb prefetch {} has been replaced by userdb { driver=prefetch }
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:111: auth_user has been replaced by service auth { user }
# OS: Linux 3.10.17-gentoo x86_64 Gentoo Base System release 2.2
auth_mechanisms = plain login
listen = *, [::]
login_greeting = blah
mail_home = /home/vmail/%d/%u
mail_location = maildir:~
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = *
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  driver = sql
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-master {
    group = mail
    mode = 0600
    user = mail
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = postfix
    user = postfix
  }
  user = nobody
}
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/server.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/server.key
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  driver = sql
}
userdb {
  driver = prefetch
}

Code:
 19 11:07:06 postfix/smtp[3242]: warning: SASL authentication failure: No worthy mechs found
Mar 19 11:07:06 postfix/smtp[3242]: 478D4EE1F57: SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server smtp-relay.tld [IP]: no mechanism available

Trying stuff..
Code:
telnet localhost 143
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* BYE Disconnected: Auth process broken
Connection closed by foreign host.

telnet localhost 110
Connected to localhost.
-ERR Disconnected: Auth process broken

SMTP works, as stated above.

Logs:

Code:
Mar 19 11:17:47 dovecot: auth: Fatal: sql /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf: Can't open configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf: No such file or directory

Oh.. wait.. checking where that vanished to.. *facepalm*
Err, okay. Now at least the auth process isn't broken anymore. But I still can't connect to my SMTP relay:

Code:
 19 11:07:06 postfix/smtp[3242]: warning: SASL authentication failure: No worthy mechs found
Mar 19 11:07:06 postfix/smtp[3242]: 478D4EE1F57: SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server smtp-relay.tld [IP]: no mechanism available

I also can't login with Thunderbird:
Code:
Mar 19 12:00:33 postfix/smtpd[6906]: initializing the server-side TLS engine
Mar 19 12:00:33 dovecot: imap-login: Aborted login (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=192.168.0.1 [router], lip=192.168.0.101 [client], session=<j9vIj/P0RQDAqAAB>
Mar 19 12:00:33 postfix/smtpd[6906]: connect from router[192.168.0.1]
Mar 19 12:00:33 postfix/smtpd[6906]: disconnect from router[192.168.0.1]
Mar 19 12:02:02 dovecot: auth: Error: PLAIN(alias,192.168.0.1,<lettermuddle1>): Request 6859.1 timed out after 150 secs, state=1
Mar 19 12:02:32 dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: Inactivity during authentication (disconnected while authenticating, waited 180 secs): user=<>, method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.0.1, lip=192.168.0.101, TLS, session=<lettermuddle1>
Mar 19 12:03:16 dovecot: auth: Error: PLAIN(alias@mydomain.tld,192.168.0.1,<lettermuddle2>): Request 6909.1 timed out after 150 secs, state=1

Any pointers, please? :)
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what reason you have the SQL passdb twice?

Code:

passdb {
  driver = sql
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  driver = sql
}

Please post the content of those files. Also, please post the output of `postconf -n` and `emerge --info postfix dovecot`.
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: I edited identifying info in all conf files etc. posted here, of course where it says "mydomain.tld" and such I put in my real domain.

hydrapolic wrote:
For what reason you have the SQL passdb twice?

I honestly don't remember which tutorial told me to add and modify what and why. Not unlikely that confusion will turn out to be the cause of the issue. Ok, let's see..

the only lines not commented out in /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext:
Code:

driver = mysql
connect = host=/var/run/mysql.sock user=postfix_user password=[...] dbname=postfix_db
default_pass_scheme = MD5-CRYPT
password_query = SELECT username as user, password, '/home/vmail/%d/%u' as userdb_home, 'maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%u' as userdb_mail, 5000 as userdb_uid, 5000 as userdb_gid FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u' AND active = '1'
user_query = SELECT '/home/vmail/%d/%u' as home, 'maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%u' as mail, 5000 AS uid, 5000 AS gid, concat('dirsize:storage=', quota) AS quota FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u' AND active = '1'
password_query = SELECT CONCAT('/var/mail/', maildir) AS userdb_home, username as user, password, CONCAT('*:bytes=', quota)
AS quota_rule FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u' AND active = 1

/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf:
Code:

driver = mysql
connect = host=localhost dbname=postfix_db user=postfix_user password=[...]
# The new name for MD5 is MD5-CRYPT so you might need to change this depending on version
default_pass_scheme = MD5-CRYPT
# Get the mailbox
user_query = SELECT '/home/vmail/%d/%u' as home, 'maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%u' as mail, 5000 AS uid, 5000 AS gid, concat('dirsize:storage=',  quota) AS quota FROM mailbox W$
# Get the password
password_query = SELECT username as user, password, '/home/vmail/%d/%u' as userdb_home, 'maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%u' as userdb_mail, 5000 as  userdb_uid, 5000 as userdb_gi$
# If using client certificates for authentication, comment the above and uncomment the following
#password_query = SELECT null AS password, ‘%u’ AS user

You're right, this seems at least partly redundant, which one should I use? Damn, this is a little embarassing :P

postconf -n:
Code:

broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes                                                                                                                                             
command_directory = /usr/sbin                                                                                                                                               
config_directory = /etc/postfix                                                                                                                                             
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix                                                                                                                                     
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix                                                                                                                                           
debug_peer_level = 2
debug_peer_list = 192.168.0.100
debugger_command = PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin ddd $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
default_destination_concurrency_limit = 10
home_mailbox = .maildir/
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = ipv4
local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps
local_transport = virtual
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = mydomain.tld, localhost.mydomain.tld, localhost
mydomain = mydomain.tld
myhostname = mydomain.tld
mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = no
relayhost = smtp-relay.tld
sample_directory = /etc/postfix
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = postdrop
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/saslpass
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $mydomain
smtpd_sasl_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = $smtpd_sasl_security_options
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/newcert.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/newkey.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 3
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
smtpd_use_tls = yes
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/random
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias_maps.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/virtual_domains_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit = 512000000
virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 5000
virtual_transport = virtual
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: smtpd_sasl2_auth_enable=yes

emerge --info postfix dovecot:
Code:

Portage 2.2.8-r1 (hardened/linux/amd64, gcc-4.7.3, glibc-2.17, 3.10.17-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
                         System Settings
System uname: Linux-3.10.17-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Atom-TM-_CPU_330_@_1.60GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem:     1792212 total,   1537936 free
KiB Swap:    2097148 total,   2097148 free
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:30:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.23.2
distcc 3.1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [disabled]
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p45
dev-lang/python:          2.7.5-r3, 3.3.3
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.11.2
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2
sys-apps/openrc:          0.12.4
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.6-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13, 2.69
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6, 1.12.6, 1.13.4
sys-devel/binutils:       2.23.2
sys-devel/gcc:            4.7.3-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.2
sys-devel/make:           3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.9 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.17
Repositories: gentoo
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5.5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5.5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5.5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs candy config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://de-mirror.org/gentoo/"
LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
USE="aac acl acpi alsa amd64 apache2 berkdb branding bzip2 cdda cdr cli cracklib crypt css cxx dbus dri dvd dvdr ftp gdbm hardened iconv icu ipv6 justify mmx modules mtp multilib ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pax_kernel pcre readline session sse sse2 ssl symlink tcpd unicode urandom vcd xcb xft xtpax zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LINGUAS="de" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby20" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="vesa fbdev" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, SYNC, USE_PYTHON

Package Settings

mail-mta/postfix-2.10.2 was built with the following:
USE="berkdb dovecot-sasl hardened mysql pam sasl ssl -cdb -doc -ldap -ldap-bind -mbox -memcached -nis -postgres (-selinux) -sqlite -vda"
CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe -Wno-comment"
CXXFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe -Wno-comment"

net-mail/dovecot-2.2.9 was built with the following:
USE="bzip2 ipv6 maildir mysql pam ssl tcpd zlib -caps -cydir -doc -imapc -kerberos -ldap -lucene -managesieve -mbox -mdbox -pop3c -postgres -sdbox (-selinux) -sieve -solr -sqlite -static-libs -suid -vpopmail"
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm not that sleepy yet I decided to poke around a bit. I found the place where dovecot-sql.conf.ext is pulled in and commented it out since it appears to be completely useless, at least how I set it up. Then I crawled through the log and found I apparently also had this problem: http://www.techques.com/question/2-297960/Dovecot:-auth-sockets-permissions

I applied the proposed fix and the error that "nobody" couldn't run auth_worker has stopped occuring.

I still can't log in, but the error looks different now:
Code:
Mar 20 01:05:52 dovecot: imap(alias@mydomain.tld): Error: user alias@mydomain.tld: Couldn't drop privileges: User is missing UID (see mail_uid setting)

Ok. Went to /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf and set mail_uid and mail_gid to "vmail".

And IMAP now works! \o/ :D Mail doesn't arrive in Thunderbird yet, apparently I still gotta figure out how to make postfix put stuff into the vmail directory instead of /home/user/.mailbox/.
The other remaining problem is that I can't auth to my SMTP relay because of "no worthy mechs".

Sleep for now. If anyone wants to drop a hint, as always I'll be happy, otherwise I'll continue digging tomorrow.
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall update you!

I know these are more or less "obvious" errors, but seeing how long it took me to find out, maybe someone who googles around for these will find this thread useful.

Postfix delivered incoming mail to /home/username/.mailbox because it was set to do so in main.cf. If you want mail to be delivered to a vmail directory, change it like so:
Code:
# DELIVERY TO MAILBOX
#
# The home_mailbox parameter specifies the optional pathname of a
# mailbox file relative to a user's home directory. The default
# mailbox file is /var/spool/mail/user or /var/mail/user.  Specify
# "Maildir/" for qmail-style delivery (the / is required).
#

#home_mailbox = Mailbox
#home_mailbox = .maildir/

# The mail_spool_directory parameter specifies the directory where
# UNIX-style mailboxes are kept. The default setting depends on the
# system type.
#
mail_spool_directory = /home/vmail/
#mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail

Afterwards I noticed that dovecot was looking for my mails in /home/vmail/alias@mydomain.tld while postfix was delivering them to /home/vmail/alias/. fixed the empty inbox by editing /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf so dovecot would look for my mail in the right place:
Code:

old:
mail_home = /home/vmail/%d/%u
new:
mail_home = /home/vmail/%d/%n

Now I can finally see all those non-delivery notifications! #notsureifyay

Okay, for the last one: outgoing SMTP auth failure.
I'm trying to implement this: http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl_policy
Nope, doesn't work.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I would just hook postfix to dovecot for smtp-auth...
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL

main.cf:
Code:

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl2_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = domain.ltd
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

dovecot.conf:
Code:
service auth {
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  user = vmail
}

HTH, Cheers
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already was using dovecot for this, but with smtpd_sasl_path = /run/dovecot/auth-worker.

Oh great! I tried private/auth which didn't work either, reset everything to how it was before (or so I think), and now IMAP is out of order again.

Code:
Mar 20 15:18:24 dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts in 1 secs): user=<>, rip=192.168.0.1, lip=192.168.0.101, TLS: SSL_read() failed: error:14094418:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert unknown ca: SSL alert number 48, session=<iUEtcQr18ADAqAAB>

Last edited by chaoscommander on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, but that failure now looks like an ssl config failure! Check dovecots ssl_cert and ssl_key options.

What error messages do you get if you try to auth through smtp?
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird says: The server doesn't support the chosen auth mechanism. Sounds familliar.

How could this suddenly turn into a SSL problem? I didn't touch the SSL certs or anything.

Edit: Ah, that's why you ask. No, it's just that Thunderbird complains about the unknown CA because the certs are self-signed. I think.
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, no, that last log entry was unrelated, see above. This is the problem:
Code:
Mar 20 15:32:02 dovecot: auth: Error: net_connect_unix(auth-worker) in directory /run/dovecot failed: Permission denied (euid=65534(nobody) egid=65534(nobody) missing +r perm: /run/dovecot/auth-worker, dir owned by 0:0 mode=0755)

Which is funny because I didn't change any permissions..
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my /run/dovecot/auth-worker looks like this: -This should really be the default...
srw------- 1 dovecot root 0 Jan 21 11:06 /run/dovecot/auth-worker

But my private/auth folder looks like that:
srw-rw---- 1 postfix postfix 0 Jan 21 11:06 /var/spool/postfix/private/auth

The error means that not even dovecot is able to use it's socket right now!
I'd chown that to dovecot:postfix... and chmod it so that also the postfix group has read/write (140660).
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My files look the same as yours.

I tried chown/chmod like you proposed anyway, but I suppose they don't do anything. Indeed - nothing changed and the error remains.
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you restarted the service right!? :roll:
Can you show the whole dovecot-startup-logs as well as a try via imap or pop?
Also the postfix logs for an auth attempt would be interesting.
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nativemad wrote:
But you restarted the service right!? :roll:

Of course I did!

Quote:
Can you show the whole dovecot-startup-logs as well as a try via imap or pop?
Also the postfix logs for an auth attempt would be interesting.

Disclaimer: I know about these warnings. I assumed they are just because I used old manuals and that they have nothing to do with what's wrong. So I focused on fixing errors and malfunctions first. If I'm wrong about this, please correct me.

dovecot startup
Code:

Mar 20 16:36:20  dovecot: master: Dovecot v2.2.9 starting up (core dumps disabled)
Mar 20 16:36:21  dovecot: config: Warning: NOTE: You can get a new clean config file with: doveconf -n > dovecot-new.conf
Mar 20 16:36:21  dovecot: config: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:104: add auth_ prefix to all settings inside auth {} and remove the auth {} section completely
Mar 20 16:36:21  dovecot: config: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:106: passdb sql {} has been replaced by passdb { driver=sql }
Mar 20 16:36:21  dovecot: config: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:109: userdb prefetch {} has been replaced by userdb { driver=prefetch }
Mar 20 16:36:21  dovecot: config: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:111: auth_user has been replaced by service auth { user }
Mar 20 16:36:26  dovecot: auth: Warning: sql: Ignoring changed user_query in /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf, because userdb sql not used. (If this is intentional, set userdb_warning_disable=yes)
Mar 20 16:36:27  dovecot: auth: Error: net_connect_unix(auth-worker) in directory /run/dovecot failed: Permission denied (euid=65534(nobody) egid=65534(nobody) missing +r perm: /run/dovecot/auth-worker, dir owned by 0:0 mode=0755)

telnet localhost 143
Code:

Connected to localhost.
+OK Welcome.
USER username
+OK
PASS password
[...silence for a long time, non-responsive to POP commands]

Server log:
Code:

Mar 20 17:00:37 dovecot: auth: Error: PLAIN(username,::1,<AE/lettermuddle>): Request 6624.1 timed out after 151 secs, state=1
Mar 20 17:00:45 dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected: Inactivity during authentication (disconnected while authenticating, waited 159 secs): user=<>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, secured, session=<AE/lettermuddle>

telnet localhost 143
Code:
Connected to localhost.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Welcome.
? LOGIN user password
[silence for quite a while...]
* OK Waiting for authentication process to respond..
[silence...]
* BYE Disconnected for inactivity during authentication.

Logs for that:
Code:

Mar 20 17:06:06 dovecot: auth: Error: net_connect_unix(auth-worker) in directory /run/dovecot failed: Permission denied (euid=65534(nobody) egid=65534(nobody) missing +r perm: /run/dovecot/auth-worker, dir owned by 0:0 mode=0755)
Mar 20 17:08:11 dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: Inactivity during authentication (disconnected while authenticating, waited 125 secs): user=<>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, secured, session=<more muddled letters>

telnet localhost 25
Code:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
220 mydomain.tld ESMTP Postfix
EHLO localhost
250-mydomain.tld
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN
auth
503 5.5.1 Error: authentication not enabled

server-side log:
Code:

Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: connection established
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: master_notify: status 0
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: name_mask: resource
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: name_mask: software
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_list_match: localhost: no match
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_list_match: 127.0.0.1: no match
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_hostname: localhost ~? 192.168.0.100
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_hostaddr: 127.0.0.1 ~? 192.168.0.100
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: smtp_stream_setup: maxtime=300 enable_deadline=0
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_hostname: localhost ~? 192.168.0.0/24
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_hostaddr: 127.0.0.1 ~? 192.168.0.0/24
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_hostname: localhost ~? 127.0.0.0/8
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_hostaddr: 127.0.0.1 ~? 127.0.0.0/8
Mar 20 16:45:02 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 220 mydomain.tld ESMTP Postfix
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: < localhost[127.0.0.1]: EHLO localhost
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_list_match: localhost: no match
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: match_list_match: 127.0.0.1: no match
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 250-mydomain.tld
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 250-PIPELINING
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 250-SIZE 10240000
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 250-VRFY
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 250-ETRN
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 250-STARTTLS
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 250-8BITMIME
Mar 20 16:45:05 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 250 DSN
Mar 20 16:45:12  postfix/smtpd[6558]: < localhost[127.0.0.1]: auth
Mar 20 16:45:12 postfix/smtpd[6558]: > localhost[127.0.0.1]: 503 5.5.1 Error: authentication not enabled
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, lets get pop/imap working again first...

Set user = dovecot in dovecot.conf under service auth where now it is set to nobody (according to your post earlier).
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done that. Dovecot appears to be using auth-worker again, sasl plain login are listed as capabilities for POP3. I can login to IMAP via telnet and Thunderbird. I can receive messages. Phew.

So, back to the relay trouble. I finally found the right switch to make the logs more verbose, here's what happens when I send an e-mail (just the part where the remote server is involved):
Code:

Mar 20 18:52:56  postfix/smtp[2590]: smtp_connect_addr: trying: relay.tld port 25...
Mar 20 18:52:56 postfix/smtp[2590]: vstream_tweak_tcp: TCP_MAXSEG 1368
Mar 20 18:52:56  postfix/smtp[2590]: global TLS level: may
Mar 20 18:52:56  postfix/smtp[2590]: match_hostname: relay.tld ~? 192.168.0.100
Mar 20 18:52:56  postfix/smtp[2590]: match_hostaddr: [IP] ~? 192.168.0.100
Mar 20 18:52:56  postfix/smtp[2590]: match_list_match: relay.tld: no match
Mar 20 18:52:56  postfix/smtp[2590]: match_list_match: [IP]: no match
Mar 20 18:52:56  postfix/smtp[2590]: smtp_stream_setup: maxtime=300 enable_deadline=0
Mar 20 18:52:56  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 220 relay.tld rmsmtp 3.1.0a 5adb508466
Mar 20 18:52:56  postfix/smtp[2590]: > relay.tld:25: EHLO mydomain.tld
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250-EASYSMTP
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250-8BITMIME
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250-SIZE 102400000
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250 STARTTLS
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: server features: 0x103b size 102400000
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: smtp_stream_setup: maxtime=300 enable_deadline=0
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: > relay.tld:25: STARTTLS
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 220 go ahead
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: send attr request = seed
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: send attr size = 32
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: private/tlsmgr: wanted attribute: status
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: input attribute name: status
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: input attribute value: 0
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: private/tlsmgr: wanted attribute: seed
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: input attribute name: seed
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: input attribute value: randomstuff
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: private/tlsmgr: wanted attribute: (list terminator)
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: input attribute name: (end)
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: smtp_stream_setup: maxtime=300 enable_deadline=0
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: > relay.tld:25: EHLO mydomain.tld
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250-EASYSMTP
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250-8BITMIME
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250-SIZE 102400000
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: < relay.tld:25: 250 STARTTLS
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: server features: 0x103b size 102400000
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: maps_find: smtp_sasl_passwd: hash:/etc/postfix/saslpass(0,lock|fold_fix): relay.tld = relayuser:pass
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: smtp_sasl_passwd_lookup: host `relay.tld' user `relayuser' pass `pass'
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: starting new SASL client
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: name_mask: noplaintext
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: name_mask: noanonymous
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: smtp_sasl_authenticate: relay.tld:25: SASL mechanisms PLAIN LOGIN
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: warning: SASL authentication failure: No worthy mechs found
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: E17C5EE001D: SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server relay.tld: no mechanism available
Mar 20 18:52:57  postfix/smtp[2590]: > relay.tld:25: QUIT
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh... i thought you'd have problems with incoming smtp auths - which is done by dovecot! Sorry for the confusion!

i think the problem is here:
Mar 20 18:52:57 postfix/smtp[2590]: name_mask: noplaintext
Mar 20 18:52:57 postfix/smtp[2590]: name_mask: noanonymous
Mar 20 18:52:57 postfix/smtp[2590]: smtp_sasl_authenticate: relay.tld:25: SASL mechanisms PLAIN LOGIN

is smtpd_sasl_security_options still set to noanonymous exclusively, or do you got a noplaintext also in the meantime? -The remoteserver only allows plain.
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now I'm confused too, I have no idea where that 'noplaintext' is coming from. It's not in main.cf. Anywhere else it could be?
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you telnet into the remote smtp server and do a ehlo? Just to get the listing and get sure what that server really wants...

does postconf show it?
chaoscommander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

postconf shows something else: smtp_sasl_security_options (minus the d) = noplaintext, noanonymous - same for lmtp_sasl_... I'll try to specify that to noanonymous too.

Ha! That was it! *dances* \o\ /o/ \o/

Thank you very much for your help :) Finally. I've been working on this (on and off) for weeks.
hydrapolic
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official documentation is also great, needs some time to read (even multiple times), but then you'll have it under control :)

http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html
http://wiki2.dovecot.org
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: