VPN under WINE[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: VPN under WINE[SOLVED] Reply with quote

Is it possible to run a VPN using wine?

I have found that many VPN services that do not provide OpenVPN config files to use under Linux so am trying to use one of them in wine. I was able to successfully install and launch a particular VPN service using wine, Surfeasy VPN, but it does not see a network connection even though other apps in wine do. Any ideas how to get it to see my wifi and eth0 connections? Also will my entire box run through the VPN or only apps running under wine?

Thanks

Last edited by Budoka on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt this would work for the same reason that Wine cannot run most DRM-restricted games. VPNs need kernel level support for obtaining the outbound traffic. Some Linux VPNs, such as OpenVPN, use the generic Linux TUN/TAP driver to get the traffic instead of inventing their own interface, but that is still kernel support. You could probably run the Windows-based configuration GUI under Wine.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I doubt this would work for the same reason that Wine cannot run most DRM-restricted games. VPNs need kernel level support for obtaining the outbound traffic. Some Linux VPNs, such as OpenVPN, use the generic Linux TUN/TAP driver to get the traffic instead of inventing their own interface, but that is still kernel support. You could probably run the Windows-based configuration GUI under Wine.

Hu,

Thanks for the reply. I was following you right up until the point you said: "You could probably run the Windows-based configuration GUI under Wine."

Sorry if it wasn't clear in my initial post but that is what I did. The application runs no problem...it just doesn't see the network connection.

The first part of your reply left me thinking that it isn't possible but then the last part sounds like it is possible?

Thanks
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A VPN can be logically divided into at least two parts. One part does the work of receiving the traffic from the OS, wrapping it in the VPN transport protocol, and sending the wrapped packets to the VPN server. The other part does the work of presenting a pretty GUI to the user to set any available knobs, report any summary data provided by the transport layer, etc. I mean that the second part should be a pretty simple Windows application that you could run under Wine. However, unless the configuration tool can read in saved configuration files, let you edit them, and write the modified versions out, running it is useless, because you cannot run the transport layer process under Wine. Without the transport layer process, you will not be able to send any traffic over the VPN.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
A VPN can be logically divided into at least two parts. One part does the work of receiving the traffic from the OS, wrapping it in the VPN transport protocol, and sending the wrapped packets to the VPN server. The other part does the work of presenting a pretty GUI to the user to set any available knobs, report any summary data provided by the transport layer, etc. I mean that the second part should be a pretty simple Windows application that you could run under Wine. However, unless the configuration tool can read in saved configuration files, let you edit them, and write the modified versions out, running it is useless, because you cannot run the transport layer process under Wine. Without the transport layer process, you will not be able to send any traffic over the VPN.

Thanks. That was very clear and provided the information I was seeking.
dwickle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out Crossover for Linux (commercially maintained wine) as it may just work. They have a like a 15 or 30 day trial license so you could at least test it out.

They definitely do support other VPN Clients.

It's worth noting that if it does work and you let your license expire then it's likely they'll send you offers for 40% off the purchase price (code: SPECIAL40 ). I tested it once for SmartDashboard and was surprised to see it actually works. I hear Cedaga also worked but that's dead now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: