nfsv4 not working on new server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: nfsv4 not working on new server Reply with quote

I'm in the process of setting up a new server, bringing functions up one-by-one. I'm stuck with nfsv4 at the moment.

Both old and new servers, as well as the client I'm using for debug are running nfs-utils-1.2.9 with identical USE="caps libmount nfsidmap nfsv4 tcpd uuid -ipv6 -kerberos -nfsdcld -nfsv41 (-selinux)"

When I try to mount a filesystem from the new server in /var/log/messages I get:
Dec 31 19:52:57 anastasia kernel: RPC: AUTH_GSS upcall timed out.
Dec 31 19:52:57 anastasia kernel: Please check user daemon is running.
But as can be seen above, none of these installations use Kerberos, yet GSS makes me think that this is a Kerberos-related sugestion, and it isn't necessary to connect to the old server, anyway.

Any suggestions?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try mount it with -o sec=sys on the client
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to explicitly mount it with sec=sys to disable any kerberos auth? Like this:
Quote:
mount -t nfs4 -o sec=sys server:/share /mnt/pount

Edit: Note: this is only meant for testing, it disables kerberos authentication / encryption. You should not use this in production, especially not on untrusted networks. Thank BitPit for pointing that out more verbosely.

Last edited by Kompi on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be working. I'm not sure that the "sec=sys" option did it, there appear to be a number of little problems here, and they all need to be flattened in order to get a clean mount.

First, half of my RAID-1 is an eSATA drive that doesn't reliably mount at power up. So I've de-auto'ed all of that stuff. After power up, I need to:
1 - See if the eSATA drive is there, and replug it if it isn't.
2 - Start the RAID
3 - Mount the RAID
4 - Bind-mount the /exports/home

Next, it appears that nfs doesn't do a clean start, first time. I get this error message:
Code:
Jan  5 07:47:31 hostname rpc.idmapd[24296]: nfsdopenone: Opening /proc/net/rpc/nfs4.nametoid/channel failed: errno 2 (No such file or directory)

Second time it's OK. I may have seen this before, on my old server I found that I needed to restart nfs after boot, and never got that far into debug, once it worked. So:
5 - Restart nfs, after having started it once already.

Next, I've noticed that nfs is a bit slow to start on my other systems, and haven't really looked into it. I suspect that they're seeing the GSS timeout. Incidentally, even after adding the "sec=sys" option I still see the GSS timeout, which is what makes me think that getting it working was a bunch of i-dotting and t-crossing.

I'm not marking this [SOLVED] yet because I suspect I've been running for years with all sorts of cruft and bugs, tucking it under the rug. It would be nice to see if that can be cleaned up. (Maybe I should be trying to secure this better, too.)
BitPit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caution: changing krb5 to sys allows connection without kerberos authentication. It no longer uses kerberos security.

There is still something wrong with NFS4 using kerberos. I too have this problem, but have not figured out why it came about or how to fix it.

It worked until the last month on a gentoo mostly stable system. It may have broken in linux 3.10.17, but I didn't see really bad things until linux 3.12.13 where is stopped working. I noticed it in linux 3.12.13 because I share /usr/portage with several machines and a remote update suddenly wanted to revert a lot of stuff to a much older version. /usr/portage was not NFS mounted over the original portage files.

ssh with kerberos still works, but it is real slow making a connection.
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitPit wrote:
Caution: changing krb5 to sys allows connection without kerberos authentication. It no longer uses kerberos security.

Thanks BitPit for pointing that out more clearly. I should have been more verbose about that, edited my post to have a note next to it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: