View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Chromium: tabs hang Reply with quote

I do not know how to explain but since a couple of days I have a serious problem with chromium (www-client/chromium-34.0.1847.14-r1). Both on a Gentoo desktop installation and on a Funtoo desktop installation.

When opening various tabs, some tabs will freeze (I have not yet discovered if it are systematically tabs showing the same category of web pages). When going from a tab that works normally to a frozen tab, the frozen tab will just show the latest status of the previous (working) tab and it will take some time before I can use the mouse again (but the tab remains frozen)

I know the explanation is not perfect but it is the best I can give at present. Anybody else having a similar problem? Anybody having a suggestion (emerge -e system and emerge -e world does not solve the issue)?

Many thanks in advance
ferreirafm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's likely because you are running a chromium release candidate. The current version chromium in portage is 33.0.1750.146. I wouldn't expected support in these occasions.
Best.
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ferreirafm for your reaction.

I understand the risks of running an unstable branch. If nobody would run them, problems would remain unnoticed.

Hence I still hope someone has similar issues and has found out how to get rid of them.

Otherwise I continue to use firefox till there is another. working version of chromium.
sven75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Have the same problem Reply with quote

I have the same problem with chromium. I would be thankfül for any suggestions how to fix it.
ferreirafm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdvgent wrote:
Thanks ferreirafm for your reaction.

kdvgent,
I'm sorry if my answer sounded rude. I just intended to warn you not to expect support when running a release candidate packages. Actually, these packages are very frequently used but at risk of their own users. If you want to discuss problems in release candidates you may want to joint the herd list of the corresponding package.
Best.
chalucha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Tried to revert to previous version, but it does not resolve it.

I have an intel HD3000 (on sandy bridge) graphics card with SNA accel so I guessed that this can be a problem too.
Tried to disable HW accel in chromium and now it seems to work again - so my guess is the problem is with xf86-video-intel but did not try the older one yet.
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Indeed, disabling HW acceleration in Chromium seems to work Reply with quote

Chalucha, thanks for the suggestion. Disabling HW acceleration indeed seems to help. As the latest update of xf86-intel-video dates back from 10 February, this is unlikely the cause of the problem.

Anyhow, I'll create a bug report.

Ferreirafm, no problem. I am not a systematic tester of new packages but run for almost ten years now unstable branches of Gentoo (or current branches of Funtoo) on my computers. Every now and then this gives a problem but nothing serious has ever happened - and if necessary I just rebuild my system. I create bug report whenever I can clearly describe the problems.
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=503892
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=350822
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Latest google-chrome-beta works fine Reply with quote

The default version of google-chrome-beta (AMD64, unstable) has changed. I installed and could - up to now - not get a tab to fail. Either something has changed between the previous version and this one that solved the problem or an update to an underlying package cured the problem.

I have updated the google-chrome bug report and will now recompile chromium and see what happens there.
kdvgent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Version 34.0.1847.60 (256359) - problem gone Reply with quote

With the newest version that is in portage, the problem has gone.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: