View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apiaio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Konqueror in Fluxbox [Solved] Reply with quote

Hi there.

Aurora works, but Konqueror does not in Fluxbox. At first when starting Konqueror from terminal I had seen error message concerned about ktimezoned. Emerged ktimezoned.
Now Konqueror starts without error, but when I want to display some URL I can see error in terminal
Quote:
localhost ~ $ konqueror
konqueror(4161)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libkhtmlpart.so"
and on the screen of Konqueror
Quote:
The Uniform Resource Locator (URL) that you entered was not properly formatted. The format of a URL is generally as follows:
protocol://user:password@www.example.org:port/folder/filename.extension?query=value
Any suggestions?

Last edited by apiaio on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably emerge kdebase-runtime-meta.
PatomaS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is downloading/installing more than 100Mb the only solution to have this browser working?

Sorry for bumping this thread, but may be now somebody has found a better solution and doesn't make sense opening a new thread.

Bye
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatomaS wrote:
Hi

Is downloading/installing more than 100Mb the only solution to have this browser working?

Yes. Note that this standard is not that different from any other modern browser anyway. If you install chromium from source (or firefox, seamonkey...) you will have to download much more than that, and wait much longer for the compilation to end. Chromium alone is around 150mb nowadays, and that without counting the dependencies.

The kdebase-runtime-meta metapackage was created precisely to solve this kind of problem, by gluing together all the dependencies that a kdebase program should need to run adequately. That doesn't mean that everything in there is "strictly needed" though. You can probably run konqueror without much of that stuff, but you gotta keep the pieces yourself, meaning that if something doesn't work no one's gonna give you support if you don't have these requirements installed, logically.

This is because despite kde apps being able to run outside kde, you still need the kde foundations for them to work.

So, if you are brave enough, just look at the ebuild or the merge list, and emerge the packages that you consider to be vital (probably all the *kio* related ones, kdelibs, etc) and skip the rest. You'll have to advance based on trial and error, and some of the errors will only appear at runtime, and might be difficult to diagnose.

As far as I know, there's no such thing as a self contained and standalone konqueror fork. Though there are some other qt based web browsers, and a couple of them are in portage.

Quote:

Sorry for bumping this thread, but may be now somebody has found a better solution and doesn't make sense opening a new thread.

Don't worry, that's fine as long as we are on topic and the topic still applies nowadays.

ps. Edited to correct typos and a few other things.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: