View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingcoras
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never did get mate working on that install. kept running into compile time errors. the final straw was after i finally thought i had everything sorted out and i run an emerge --update --deep --newuse world, and ran into a compile time error with python exec saying that suddenly, gcc couldn't make executables... GAH!

really, this whole thing is my fault. the last time i'd run emerge --sync was nine months ago, let alone any type of emerge --update command.

Thankfully, i have a very modular directory structure, and a lightning fast internet at home.

Formatted /, pulled portage, reinstalled base, deleted the hidden directories in my user folders, installed layman and pulledmate, and hello! that was beautiful. so yes, it is running now, just on a completly fresh install.

I need to setup crons to take care of updates for me. I just never got around to it on that install, and it cost me something fierce.

gentoo boot time: 25 seconds, Windows boot time: 1:30. Why, Bill, why?
trigggl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to this Gnome 3 systemd madness, I've moved one desktop to GhostBSD. GhostBSD comes with MATE installed.

I'm going to try to stick with Gentoo on the two main systems. Off to look for a gnome replacement. Mate doesn't sound like a good place to start just yet on Gentoo, though.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mate doesn't sound like a good place to start just yet on Gentoo, though.

Why?
trigggl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Quote:

Why?

See entire page of conversation above my post. It was my observation of it.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingcoras wrote:
I did have to create the /etc/env.d/90xsession file, and i placed XSESSION=mate in it, then rebooted, ran startx... and it failed. oh, it's calling gnome-session from .xinitrc. deleted that file... and startx gives me a basic Xsession... 3 terms and a clock.

did i miss something?
Sorry I missed this post but for some reason I stopped getting responses to this topic in my emails.

The "/etc/env.d/90xsession" file may or may not exist on all systems and is not absolutely necessary. It is used to define the default xsession to be loaded either from the startx command line or a login manager. It doesn't stop you from selecting a different xsession from your login manager. Its convenient on mulit-user systems or on systems using auto-logon. See man startx for more information.

If you haven't used this file in the past you won't need it now. Just continue to use whatever method you used to start you xsessions before.

I am assuming from you latest post you managed to get MATE installed and working.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trigggl wrote:
Most of the problems when installing MATE in Gentoo come from blockers and circular dependency issues caused by having Gnome-2 already installed and Gnome-3 being stable. Figuring out what to remove and what to mask is the challenge. Because every system is different due to individual user choices there is no cookie-cutter solution to installing MATE. However installing MATE from scratch on a new clean install of Gentoo should go smoothly.

I've tested MATE from different distros in VM's before I committed to it myself. Even though at this time MATE can only be installed form a OVERLAY in Gentoo which is considered testing and unstable. I haven't experienced any stability issues yet. There is virtually no difference in the look and feel of my MATE install and my old Gnome-2 install.

Gentoo is all about choice...................... :D :D
HerrSchafer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a brand new install and Mate seems to be ok...
I haven't mask gnome 3, but MATE has pulled just a few gnome things.
I used to install wicd, but it couldn't be installed and I went back to NetworkManager wich looked lighter than wicd after all.
My complains are all about customization: I would like to use a better menu (like whiskermenu in XFCE) and I still looking for something like Windows Seven Superbar...
I have installed also compiz, but I didn't like the windows look (maybe my fault for not research the solutions).

As a final user, my word is: MATE is ok; I just have to learn it's details.

EDIT: after reading this thread several times, I decided to mask Gnome 3 and then I have emerged GDM, wich is working properly.
ebray187
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the video thumbnailer in caja, just:
Code:
# emerge ffmpegthumbnailer
# nano /usr/share/thumbnailers/mate-ffmpegthumbnailer.thumbnailer

Then add this:
Quote:
[Thumbnailer Entry]
TryExec=ffmpegthumbnailer
Exec=ffmpegthumbnailer -i %i -o %o -s %s -f
MimeType=video/jpeg;video/mp4;video/mpeg;video/quicktime;video/x-ms-asf;video/x-ms-wm;video/x-ms-wmv;video/x-msvideo;video/x-flv;video/x-matroska;video/mp2t;video/3gpp;video/webm;video/x-ogm+ogg;

Saludos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ebray187
I tried... but nothing :-/ is there anything else to do to get the video ffmpegthumbnailer in caja to work?

Has someone else issues with vsync/tearing videos (mp4,mkv etc. files and also in youtube vids) under mate desktop?
ebray187
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingron wrote:
@ebray187
I tried... but nothing :-/ is there anything else to do to get the video ffmpegthumbnailer in caja to work?

Sorry, that work for me. When I emerge mate, i remove all ".folders" and stuff from gnome2 before the first run so i get a clean gconf (of course first I backup all my program options: $ cd; mkdir backup; mv .* backup/). The only thing i do manually for the thumbnails was create the .cache/thumbnails folder in my home.

kingron wrote:
Has someone else issues with vsync/tearing videos (mp4,mkv etc. files and also in youtube vids) under mate desktop?

With compiz (version in portage) and vlc, xbmc or mplayer almost no tearing. Youtube in a browser, gnome, mate and all my wm have tearing. If you use vlc ensure you have the correct output in the video preferences (any XCB in my case).

Good luck.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate Update

From portage update message:

MATE is in the progress of being brought to the Portage tree; if you see this
mask message when you install it from the Portage tree, we suggest you to
wait a few days until MATE has been fully brought to the Portage tree.

New ebuild request bug:-----> https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387487
MATE overlay users that see this message can use the following package.unmask:

If your using the MATE overlay create a /etc/portage/package.unmask file and add at least these packages to suppress the message.
Code:

=mate-base/mate-menus-1.6.0::mate-overlay
=mate-extra/mate-dialogs-1.6.2::mate-overlay
=mate-base/libmatekbd-1.6.2::mate-overlay
=x11-libs/libmatewnck-1.6.1::mate-overlay
=dev-libs/libmateweather-1.6.2::mate-overlay
=mate-base/mate-common-1.6.2::mate-overlay
=mate-base/mate-session-manager-1.6.1-r1::mate-overlay
=mate-extra/mate-polkit-1.6.1::mate-overlay
=mate-base/mate-desktop-1.6.2::mate-overlay
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list will change almost daily, I suggest you to unmask everything: https://gist.github.com/TomWij/cf9cdd0fe90ac08b8ded

If this causes further issues, please let me know...
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
This list will change almost daily, I suggest you to unmask everything: https://gist.github.com/TomWij/cf9cdd0fe90ac08b8ded

If this causes further issues, please let me know...
The repository doesn't contain any version numbers and if I add all packages (as is) from it I will be unmasking the Mate-1.7.* versions as well which are also masked by package mask. This causes hard blocking of some installed packages and requires some additional keyword changes to proceed. I didn't unmask Mate-1.7 on my first install or for this HOW-TO because of the package mask.

Do you recommend that I go ahead and unmask Mate-1.7, solve the hard blocks and proceed to update Mate? I ask because others who have followed this HOW-TO may run into this problem and I would like to document the process in case others have difficulties.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unmask file on that gist URL has been updated to respect the 1.7 mask.
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
The unmask file on that gist URL has been updated to respect the 1.7 mask.

FYI
Not sure what possessed me to try updating to MATE-1.7 but I gave it a go. Portage tossed out some blockers
Code:

[blocks B      ] x11-misc/mate-menu-editor ("x11-misc/mate-menu-editor" is hard blocking x11-misc/mozo-1.7.0)
[blocks B      ] app-text/mate-document-viewer ("app-text/mate-document-viewer" is hard blocking app-text/atril-1.7.90)
[blocks B      ] media-gfx/mate-image-viewer ("media-gfx/mate-image-viewer" is hard blocking media-gfx/eom-1.7.0)
[blocks B      ] app-arch/mate-file-archiver ("app-arch/mate-file-archiver" is hard blocking app-arch/engrampa-1.7.90)
[blocks B      ] x11-wm/mate-window-manager ("x11-wm/mate-window-manager" is hard blocking x11-wm/marco-1.7.90)
[blocks B      ] mate-base/mate-file-manager ("mate-base/mate-file-manager" is hard blocking mate-base/caja-1.7.90)

But failed to catch app-editors/mate-text-editor which should have been blocking app-editors/pluma causing file collisions and failing to install as expected.

After using the new unmask file and reverting back (downgrading) portage only caught two blockers, x11-wm/marco and media-gfx/eom again causing major file collision issues. After solving these issues the NEW unmask file seems to work well.

Thank You and thanks for your willingness to take MATE on.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATE is dropping forks where it can rely and adjust GNOME 2/3 and/or their libraries; as a result you see a block between the old fork and the new GNOME package. Besides that, you might also spot renames going on.
HerrSchafer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that mintmenu is provided by overlay; a have emerged it but I cannot see it anywhere.
I thought that its behavior would be as whiskermenuplugin (for xfce) but I couldn't add it to panel.
I'm trying to make the DE like it is @ Linux Mint. Any idea?
alexandervdm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have much success with earlier release, but have been running MATE 1.8 from the sabayon overlay for a few weeks now, and am very pleased with it. How can we help getting this into ~arch as soon as possible? Would there also be interest for live git ebuilds if I created them?
nihil39
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that some 1.8 packages are already in the portage tree, even though hardmasked (e.g. app-admin/mate-system-tools, dev-libs/libmateweather). I don't know when 1.8 will be fully (keyworded) included in the portage tree. Just to be sure: will there be any problems upgrading from 1.6.x (installed from the official tree) to 1.8 (installed via an overlay)?
nihil39
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to set windows transparencies during move? Why only MATE terminal transparency can be set?
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nihil39 wrote:
I see that some 1.8 packages are already in the portage tree, even though hardmasked (e.g. app-admin/mate-system-tools, dev-libs/libmateweather). I don't know when 1.8 will be fully (keyworded) included in the portage tree. Just to be sure: will there be any problems upgrading from 1.6.x (installed from the official tree) to 1.8 (installed via an overlay)?

The differences between MATE in Portage and in the the overlay are small enough that I do not foresee any problems; if there are, feel free to let me know.

nihil39 wrote:
Is there any way to set windows transparencies during move? Why only MATE terminal transparency can be set?

Yeah, this is a thing with terminals; there are people that want to see what there is behind their terminal, or perhaps their background. As for windows transparency/opacity during move; I've tried to reduce this to searching how to do it in GNOME 2 (which MATE is derived from) and can't find something useful, therefore I suggest you file a feature request at https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues and look whether a similar feature request at https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues/71 is perhaps of your interest too.
nihil39
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
The differences between MATE in Portage and in the the overlay are small enough that I do not foresee any problems; if there are, feel free to let me know.

There aren't, but mate 1.8.0 depends on webkit-gtk to use yelp. I hope that dependecy will be optional when it will be merged in the official tree.

TomWij wrote:
Yeah, this is a thing with terminals; there are people that want to see what there is behind their terminal, or perhaps their background. As for windows transparency/opacity during move; I've tried to reduce this to searching how to do it in GNOME 2 (which MATE is derived from) and can't find something useful, therefore I suggest you file a feature request at https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues and look whether a similar feature request at https://github.com/mate-desktop/marco/issues/71 is perhaps of your interest too.

Compositing in marco is only software. I solved by installing compton (it is already in the portage tree), maybe that's a better solution.
al_chem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been using mate 1.6 from the overlay for quite sometime now, until yesterday I managed to mix packages from both the overlay and the main tree. Now I have some duplicates installed and some packages that conflict with each other and can't be updated. Has the transition been completed yet? What is the recommended way to switch over to the packages from portage?
nihil39
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

al_chem wrote:
I had been using mate 1.6 from the overlay for quite sometime now, until yesterday I managed to mix packages from both the overlay and the main tree. Now I have some duplicates installed and some packages that conflict with each other and can't be updated. Has the transition been completed yet? What is the recommended way to switch over to the packages from portage?

I upgraded from 1.6 in portage to 1.8 in mate overlay. I just manually unmerged all the packages causing blocks, unmasked in package.unmask and in package.accept_keyword all the required packages and it went smooth.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebray187 wrote:
For the video thumbnailer in caja, just:
Code:
# emerge ffmpegthumbnailer
# nano /usr/share/thumbnailers/mate-ffmpegthumbnailer.thumbnailer

Then add this:
Quote:
[Thumbnailer Entry]
TryExec=ffmpegthumbnailer
Exec=ffmpegthumbnailer -i %i -o %o -s %s -f
MimeType=video/jpeg;video/mp4;video/mpeg;video/quicktime;video/x-ms-asf;video/x-ms-wm;video/x-ms-wmv;video/x-msvideo;video/x-flv;video/x-matroska;video/mp2t;video/3gpp;video/webm;video/x-ogm+ogg;

Saludos

Now I got this running as well, I had to compile it with the gnome flag (didn't had it in my make.conf)

solutions was:
Code:
USE="gnome" emerge ffmpegthumbnailer

do I need the "gnome" flag in general if I'm using mate ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: