Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What should be my next linux (or other OS) journey?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
diablo465 wrote:
jonathan183 wrote:
it's probably what I'd use if Gentoo decided to make it really difficult to avoid systemd

why do you hate systemd so much?

I don't understand why the choice to not use systemd is referred to by many as hate.

The answer to this question is simple, but... it leads to a much more complicated one.
Many is just in love with many's computer. Therefore what many installs is not governed by rational needs but by affect.
Many installs things because many loves it and won't install because many hates it.
Many then believes that others act identically.
Now don't ask me why the relationship between many and many's computer is affect-driven. :twisted:

Oh wait... :idea: Could be because it's a many to one relationship... :roll:
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systemd is a piece of software why would I hate it?

I just don't want to use it, no more than I want to use windows day in and out or gnome or kde.
None of which is hate just my personal choice.

Now referring to me as a luddite or conspiracist because of my choice and opinion is indeed hate.
They hate me for my freedom :lol: the freedom to chose to use or not use.

Anyway...I digress. ;)
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diablo465 wrote:
jonathan183 wrote:
it's probably what I'd use if Gentoo decided to make it really difficult to avoid systemd

why do you hate systemd so much? so much so that it would cause you to move to another distribution?

I don't hate systemd, I don't want to use it and object to being forced into using it (I believe if I wanted to switch from Gentoo in future because it became particularly difficult to avoid systemd Funtoo would be a good choice for me).
I want an init system to be just that - I don't want or need it to be integrated with anything else. I want the option to select the best tool for the job to meet my particular use case. I don't care if it enables some fabulous feature in Gnome or KDE because I don't use them (but if the feature exists then I'd like a use flag so I can enable/disable it as I see fit). I use startx if I want to use a gui ... which is not all the time (I use links -g with framebuffer support some of the time, system admin and a few other things I do are cli based).
The simpler and easier the system is to understand the better for me. It doesn't need to be newbie friendly, if I don't understand I'll read up about it.
I don't need lots of features, more features mean increased complexity and more bugs. I don't want things to happen automagically - I want to be able to configure autodetect features and prefer to have the features switched off by default.
I want to be able to add and remove packages and features without having to pull in an init system just to get a device manager.
... I have systemd on Arch at the moment - but I'm not having it on a source based distro ;)

Hopefully that gives some additional background info related to my previous reply, there are other threads on the forums about systemd which are probably better suited to discussions about systemd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: