problems migrating from genkernel to genkernel-next
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neybis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: problems migrating from genkernel to genkernel-next Reply with quote

Hello all,

I often find myself able to resolve issues on my own thanks to the great utilities the community has provided and the answers found searching the forums. But I have stumbled across an issue I need help with therefore am not sure what information to post now that I am running into issues I cannot resolve. Please let me know what information is needed and I will post it. No particular rush ;)

I ran into issues when upgrading my gentoo box to gnome 3.8 and systemd. I was around the 3.10.17 gentoo-sources at the time. Systemd caused genkernel to become masked and genkernel-next took its place. Since then, I have not been able to generate a working initramfs with genkernel-next. In fact, the only way to get my system to boot using either systemd or OpenRC is by pointing grub at my latest kernel (3.10.25) as usual but to an older initramfs (3.10.7) that was generated before systemd / genkernel-next was pulled in (which works surprisingly... I know).

I have been using gentoo for over 5 years on this box now. I have always been able to get init up and running, the application for init existing on a dmraid, by using the initramfs created via `genkernel --dmraid initramfs`, all the while using grub (version 1). My grub configurations haven't changed in ages. I am using a custom compiled kernel (from gentoo-sources) but am very thorough in my configurations during ugprades so I don't believe this to be the issue.

All that being said, does anyone have any suggestions or need information I can post?

Thank you for your time and effort
neybis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shameless bump?? Been about two weeks : /
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teegrins, neybis!

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with systemd, and it has been nearly 4 years since I last used genkernel, so I don't have any first-hand intel about this.

Even so, if you haven't stumbled upon this before, check:
It seems to me it could be relevant.

Apologies if it's a different issue, but I do hope this helps!

(By the by, when your topic has no replies, it can be found via the View unanswered posts-link, which I guess many people use. When your bump is the only reply, it will no longer be so, which could hinder getting replies. Just a thought! It's not like I have statistics on which nets you responses better. ^^;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: