Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved]Strange issue with Gambas - privilege related?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: [solved]Strange issue with Gambas - privilege related? Reply with quote

Hello,

I wanted to try out Gambas. Since ebuilds are long gone from portage, I installed it from source. Compilation went well, as with previous installs I have done.
But I've got a strange problem that is probably related to user privileges - but even then it is strange.

After compiling and make install I can start the IDE from terminal with "gambas3" and it starts up correctly. I can create new projects or open one of the example files. Here's the first strange thing: Whenever I do this, I get the message that the file already seems to be opened and that it'll therefore be read-only.
This has been the case with previous installs as well; however, another strange thing is that I can't run the code, which worked before. Or rather, the code seems to be running, but there's no visible result.
Now the strangeness continues. When I start gambas3 from a terminal after su-ing, it starts up just fine and code can be run and example files opened without the warning about read-only.
But wait, there is more strangeness to come: Since starting the programme after su-ing worked, I logged into XFCE as root, made a launcher, execute the launcher and lo and behold, the same issue. And even weirder, opening a terminal as root and running gambas does NOT work. I really don't understand this.

So, does anyone have any idea what might cause this?
I'm not sure what kind of info might be relevant, so please specify.

Architecture: AMD64
DE: XFCE4

Also, since there is no ebuild for gambas, I'd like to try and write one. Any suggestions on how to get started?

Edit:
Solved by compiling from SVN. I still don't know what the cause really was.
Now it's time for the harvest
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: