Wine vs GoPro Studio
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Wine vs GoPro Studio Reply with quote

Hello,

I need a second hand GoPro H2 with a WiFi bacpac but the previous owner lost WiFi password (he didn't used it for a while).
As per the documentation, I need to reset it using GoPro Studio which is unfortunately m$ only.

I installed Wine, installed GPS w/o trouble or error message. But I'm not able to launch it :(

Any tips ? Or where can I fiend some log message to troubleshoot ?

Thanks

Laurent
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Teegrins, destroyedlolo!

First of all, launch the application via a terminal to see if you get some helpful messages there (one usually does).

As a side-note, often things do not like to work if the working directory is not set, so it's best to 'cd' into where the executable lives, for example (assuming default prefix path):

Code:
$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Imaginary/
$ wine application.exe

Often the output from there is enough, but if you are interested or need to learn more advanced techniques, here's a link to the Wine FAQ entry concerning debug traces:
From thereon, one can find their way to even more in-depth guides, but let us start with the basic terminal output.
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum ...

Code:
laurent@PiV ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/GoPro/Tools $ wine GoPro\ Studio.exe
The entry point method could not be loaded

As per information I found here, it's may be due to the fact m$-VB runtime is missing ... but I think it's only a configuration problem as I think it has been done by GPS installer, no ?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really tell anything for certain, but I might guess that requires a dotNet installation (i.e., you may or may not be able to get it to run with Wine mono).

For that, I would recommend using winetricks.

I might also suggest you try running it in a 32-bit prefix, which is likely needed for when you install dotNet. For how to create one, I once wrote a quick guide at our wikki. Though I've been meaning to improve upon it a lot, it should give out the basics. The WineHQ of course contains the info as well, as do many other fair sites.

Here a link to the article I speak of: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wine

From the GoPro website, I discerned that it requires QuickTime as well. You may or may not have much luck with that... (I really can't remember when I tried anything QuickTime related via Wine, but I have a bad feeling about it just from thinking of it.)
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuickTime is not mandatory : the installer ask you if you want it to be installed or now.

Now, all in all, I think I will give up : I borrowed an m$ PC form my neighbor and configured my GoPro's WiFi and that was the only thing I needed from this soft.

Thanks anyway for your time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: