View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the chroot stuff is only needed on first install, because you cannot yet boot into your system, you have to get into your new root with chroot from another bootable device like the liveCD. Of course, of you screw up your boot, this is always good to repair your install as well.

With grub you can change the kernel boot command line temporarily when booting by hand. With grub1 you just have to press "e" (for edit) in the menu and can add additional parameters or change the line. I think in grub2 it is also "e".

To change your grub2 config permanently in SuSE best you boot into SuSE and change it from there. With grub2 the grub.conf in /boot is auto created from several different config files. I think you need to change something like /etc/default/grub (at least thats where it is stored in Ubuntu). You should be able to just use YaST to edit your boot parameters (as described here: http://tr.opensuse.org/SDB:Inserting_Boot_Options_Permanently)
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmam wrote:
x11-... nouveau-1.09
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.10.17:3.10.17

thoose should be compatible. So there's no problem. As your startx works, I think nouveau is fine. Maybe it is actually the same issue as sling has. But I'm not sure at this point what could be wrong with gdm / dbus or consolekit, considering that it is a fresh install without anything that could be confused by an upgrade or left over configurations ...
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found out how to add parameter to kernel with grub2 - same as you told me -
pressing 'e'. but please inform me how exactly to write it down:
in my case it is written there: linux-kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.17-gentoo
so after gentoo i should add: nouveau.modeset=1. i do not know if -
with '-' after gentoo, or with "
please advise!
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just separated with a white space:

Code:
linux-kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.17-gentoo nouveau.modeset=1
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kompi wrote:
just separated with a white space:

Code:
linux-kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.17-gentoo nouveau.modeset=1

no change - the same result...
is there a way to find out what is missing?
do you think it is a good idea to replace gnome with kde - it may work? if yes - i would try to do it -
it means to change the menuconfig and USE variables?
a good tutorial link for kde would help me.
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm very certain now that there is some problem which prevents gdm from starting up. If gdm however does not give any debug messages with the debug flag set in the custom.conf, I'm not sure how to find that out. It's curious that lightdm seems to have the same problem. I'm not yet sure what that means. Maybe lightdm gives some more info why it does not start up?

You can of course switch to kde, but the problem so far is not with gnome. We aren't even there yet to try to start gnome, if the login manager does not start up. With kde we might have the same problem - of course it might be worth a try to emerge kdm (the kde login manager) and see if that fails as well and whether it has more verbose output as to why.

However, if you get the login manager to run, any of those should be capable of starting any desktop environment (gnome, kde etc.).

To merge just kdm:
Code:
emerge kdm

If you want to install kde anyhow:
Code:
emerge kde-meta

Having the "kde" useflag set is also wise, as this adds compatibility with kde to some programs.
Here is the install howto for kde on gentoo: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am quiet confused...
lightdm does not give any more info - after typing i am getting black screen.
on the other hand - if i want to change to kde i am not sure i understand exactly what to change -
is the attached howto for kde includes all the needed info?
what about the USE flags? what are the exact needed changes that i should do in order to change gnome to kde -
at the moment i have in /etc/portage/make.conf: USE="-qt4 -kde X dbus gtk gnome" -
i assume that it should change. also - should i add all the services written in the howto?
i need to know the whole changes - please be patience with me - this is the first time with gentoo -
it seems like endless details to be updated - i hope it is only a beginners feeling and i will manage better soon.

Last edited by pmam on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can imagine, gentoo can be very overwhelming at the beginning, because you have so much options to choose from to get exactly the system you want. Even if you don't yet know what you will end up wanting :)

Okay, let's have a short walk through the wiki. I hope I don't confuse you any more with that:

1. Profile & USE flags

You *can* change your profile. This is not neccessary but will make it a little easier if you are going to use a specific desktop environment (DE). What this actually does is usually to set some default USE flags that are sane for that DE. It may also mask packages that are known to not be compatible and such. However, those things can of course be set manually as well. If you want to have different DEs installed (yes you can have more than one an choose at the login manager which one to use - if that login manager runs, that is ;o) ) you can as well set everything so that it works best for all your DEs.

If you want to find out what a specific profile does, you can look at the files in /usr/portage/profiles/. The amd64 desktop kde profile for example is located at /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde/. You will find there is not much in there, except a "parent" file, which links to /usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop/kde. In this folder you will find the default kde config that looks just like a /etc/portage/ dir. There is a make.conf with USE flags, and some package.* files with package specific USE flags, some hard masked packages etc.

USE flags are generally compile time options for packages. That is, if you for example build a program that can integrate into gnome and kde as well, you will find it has a kde and gnome use flag. If those are enabled, these extras get compiled and installed as well. The programs should run fine without them, but of course having them for your DE is a good idea. So the "kde" use flag manages those kind of things, while KDE itself is installed with the "emerge kde-meta" (see below).

Long story short: If you gonna use only KDE, switch to that profile and you won't have trouble with package conflicts and have sane defaults for all programs that may integrade into kde. If you want to do it manually, you should at least change your USE line in make.conf to include qt4 and kde.

2. Services

Those are needed, but you should not need to care that much. They should be installed when you emerge kde-meta anyway, and most of them are started by default when xdm is started - like udev, polkit etc. You can make sure that they are running and enabled at boot, but that should be about it you have to do with that....

3. X-Server

Well, as startx works for you, there SHOULD be nothing to do. However, as no login manager starts, there may be some weird problem. But again, I think it is somewhat related to the login managers, not the X-Server itself, as it has no problem starting with startx.

4. Packages

You should be fine just emerging "kde-meta". The other two options (kdebase-meta and kdebase-startkde) are there if you want a minimal KDE install. That is, a KDE that can run but has none of the default kde applications pre-installed. The other kde-base/*-meta are there so that you can install parts of KDE if you are only using kdebase-meta and want just SOME of the applications, but not all.

I would just go with "kde-meta" for now.

5. Localization

Additional language packs that are not all installed by default. If you don't want an english UI ...

6. Config

Basically, this just tells you how to use KDM as default login manager. (you would only have to set the DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm", the rest is already done). Note here: If you're only using KDE it is good to use KDM, as it uses the same libraries as KDE etc. But any login manager should be able to start any DE. So you CAN use gdm with KDE as well. You just have a GTK login interface and a QT based DE then.

As you are using openRC as init, you can ignore the systemd part.
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the initial problem with the login managers:

Can you try to start lightdm this way:

Code:
lightdm –debug

This should give you more output as to why it does not start. If there is any ouput please post it. If not, have another look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Kompi,

your explanations are very helpful!!!
each line that you write worth to me a few hours of wondering in the 'emerging world' :)
i am grasping your information and let you know if i have further questions.

lightdm --debug gives blank screen... by the way - how can i return to root -
i am pressing on ctrl alt F1 F2 ... until it returns to login...

thanks alot
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that I make sense and it helps you. Good to hear :)

With return to root you mean to your text console from X? When X is started, you have to use Ctrl+Alt+F[1-6] to get back to the text console. The Alt+Fx does not work, because usually GUI apps use the Alt+Fx combination for other things.

I just notices, so you get a black screen, that means X *is* started, but does not show anything! Okay, I thought it would just do nothing and return to the console. Well, that's good I guess. Because of course the debug output should only be visible in the text console.

So try to return with Ctrl+Alt+F1 and see if there is any debug output of lightdm.

You can also redirect any output to a file:
Code:
lightdm --debug 2&> /tmp/lightdm-debug.log

and then read that file afterwards:
Code:
less /tmp/lightdm-debug.log

or read it afterwards with your SuSE installation to post it here.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes there are some messages:

counld not run plymouth --ping: failed to excecute child process "plymouth" (no such file or directory)
using VT 7...

I hope we are getting better...

Last edited by pmam on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good idea to send it from suse:
Code:

[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.8.5, UID=0 PID=17175
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xlocal
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module surfaceflinger
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Adding default seat
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat: Starting
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat: Creating greeter session
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat: Setting XDG_SEAT=seat0
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat: Creating display server of type x
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat: Starting local X display
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process "plymouth" (No such file or directory)
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+0.00s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-1.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:1
[+0.00s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Launching X Server
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Launching process 17179: /usr/bin/X :1 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:1 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+0.00s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Waiting for ready signal from X server :1
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Process 17179 exited with return value 1
[+0.02s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: X server stopped
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+0.02s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Removing X server authority /var/run/lightdm/root/:1
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Seat: Display server stopped
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping; greeter display server failed to start
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping session
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Seat: Session stopped
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopped
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Required seat has stopped
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Stopping display manager
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Display manager stopped
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Stopping daemon
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping session
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Exiting with return value 1
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The missing plymouth should not be a big issue. Plymouth is a program that handles boot splash screens. I guess lightdm always tries to disable the splash screen first to make sure it can now switch to X safely. I just tested it with my installation, without plymouth installed you get this message, but it is not the cause for lightdm to fail.

However, this is:
pmam wrote:
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Process 17179 exited with return value 1
[+0.02s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: X server stopped

Usually after this "registering seat" it should wait for the X-server to be ready and then continue. It seems though that the X server exits (i guess pid 17179 was X) due to some kind of failure.

It says above that the X logging is done in /var/log/lightdm/x-1.log. Can you post that file as well? Maybe there is finally some info about the error.

Also, it looks like it is using the ":1" X channel. This suggests that another X-server is running, because normally it starts at :0. This could be because the failed gdm is still running in some way. That should basically work as well, but it says it is using VT7 (the 7th virtual terminal, i.e. the "Alt+F7 one"), which is the same as gdm on :0 should occupy. That may prevent lightdm from starting here. To be sure, let's try this:

Code:
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
lightdm --debug 2&> /tmp/lightdm-debug.log

Last edited by Kompi on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please see above my new post with the total log

Last edited by pmam on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmam wrote:
please see my new post with the total log

Ahm, I saw it, everything below "However this is:" was related to what I found in the log :)
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - so you want me to run /etc/init.d/gdm stop or xdm -
because this is not running - no such file or directory
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh right, xdm. Yes.

And if that does not change anything, please post the X log as well. The lightdm debug said:
Code:
[+0.00s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-1: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-1.log

Seems lightdm does not store the X log in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, so would be nice to see that file instead. This will hopefully finally tell us why the X server just exited.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow you are a magician... i got a strange screen like abstract art ... :)
and i press something or login (i am not sure) and nice welcome screen showed up.. here are the two log files
Code:

[+0.01s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.8.5, UID=0 PID=16480
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xlocal
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Registered seat module surfaceflinger
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Adding default seat
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat: Starting
[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat: Creating greeter session
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Seat: Setting XDG_SEAT=seat0
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Seat: Creating display server of type x
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Seat: Starting local X display
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process "plymouth" (No such file or directory)
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+0.04s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+0.04s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.04s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Launching X Server
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Launching process 16484: /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+0.04s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.04s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+0.37s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 16484
[+0.37s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Got signal from X server :0
[+0.37s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Connecting to XServer :0
[+0.37s] DEBUG: Seat: Display server ready, starting session authentication
[+0.37s] DEBUG: Session: Setting XDG_VTNR=7
[+0.37s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Started with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'root'
[+0.39s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+0.39s] DEBUG: Seat: Session authenticated, running command
[+0.39s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Setting XDG_VTNR=7
[+0.39s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Running command /usr/sbin/lightdm-gtk-greeter
[+0.40s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log
[+0.42s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+0.66s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Greeter connected version=1.8.5
[+2.47s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Greeter start authentication for moshe
[+2.47s] DEBUG: Seat: Setting XDG_SEAT=seat0
[+2.47s] DEBUG: Session: Setting XDG_VTNR=7
[+2.48s] DEBUG: Session pid=16568: Started with service 'lightdm', username 'moshe'
[+2.50s] DEBUG: Session pid=16568: Got 1 message(s) from PAM
[+2.50s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
[+106.54s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Continue authentication
[+106.65s] DEBUG: Session pid=16568: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+106.65s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Authenticate result for user moshe: Success
[+106.65s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: User moshe authorized
[+106.69s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Greeter requests session gnome
[+106.71s] DEBUG: Writing /home/moshe/.dmrc
[+106.72s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping greeter; display server will be re-used for user session
[+106.72s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Sending SIGTERM
[+106.75s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Greeter closed communication channel
[+106.75s] DEBUG: Session pid=16494: Exited with return value 0
[+106.75s] DEBUG: Seat: Session stopped
[+106.75s] DEBUG: Seat: Greeter stopped, running session
[+106.75s] DEBUG: Registering session with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
[+106.75s] DEBUG: Session pid=16568: Setting XDG_VTNR=7
[+106.75s] DEBUG: Session pid=16568: Running command /etc/lightdm/Xsession gnome-session
[+106.75s] DEBUG: Session pid=16568: Logging to .xsession-errors
[+106.78s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+123.89s] DEBUG: Session pid=16568: Exited with return value 0
[+123.89s] DEBUG: Seat: Session stopped
[+123.89s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping display server, no sessions require it
[+123.89s] DEBUG: Sending signal 15 to process 16484
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Process 16484 exited with return value 0
[+124.33s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: X server stopped
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+124.33s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Removing X server authority /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Display server stopped
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Active display server stopped, starting greeter
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Creating greeter session
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Setting XDG_SEAT=seat0
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Creating display server of type x
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Starting local X display
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+124.33s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+124.33s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Writing X server authority to /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+124.33s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Launching X Server
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Launching process 16787: /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+124.33s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+124.33s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+124.63s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 16787
[+124.63s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Got signal from X server :0
[+124.63s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Connecting to XServer :0
[+124.63s] DEBUG: Seat: Display server ready, starting session authentication
[+124.63s] DEBUG: Session: Setting XDG_VTNR=7
[+124.63s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Started with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'root'
[+124.65s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+124.65s] DEBUG: Seat: Session authenticated, running command
[+124.65s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Setting XDG_VTNR=7
[+124.65s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Running command /usr/sbin/lightdm-gtk-greeter
[+124.65s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log
[+124.67s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+124.72s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Greeter connected version=1.8.5
[+125.13s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Greeter start authentication for moshe
[+125.13s] DEBUG: Seat: Setting XDG_SEAT=seat0
[+125.13s] DEBUG: Session: Setting XDG_VTNR=7
[+125.14s] DEBUG: Session pid=16827: Started with service 'lightdm', username 'moshe'
[+125.14s] DEBUG: Session pid=16827: Got 1 message(s) from PAM
[+125.14s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Got signal 1 from process 0
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Caught Hangup signal, shutting down
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Stopping display manager
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping display server
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Sending signal 15 to process 16787
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping session
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Sending SIGTERM
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopping session
[+233.33s] DEBUG: Session pid=16827: Sending SIGTERM
[+233.34s] DEBUG: Session pid=16827: Terminated with signal 1
[+233.34s] DEBUG: Session: Failed during authentication
[+233.34s] DEBUG: Seat: Session stopped
[+233.34s] DEBUG: Session pid=16792: Terminated with signal 1
[+233.34s] DEBUG: Seat: Session stopped
[+233.35s] DEBUG: Process 16787 exited with return value 0
[+233.35s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: X server stopped
[+233.35s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+233.35s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Removing X server authority /var/run/lightdm/root/:0
[+233.35s] DEBUG: Seat: Display server stopped
[+233.35s] DEBUG: Seat: Stopped
[+233.35s] DEBUG: Display manager stopped
[+233.35s] DEBUG: Stopping daemon
[+233.35s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+233.35s] DEBUG: Exiting with return value 0

Code:

X.Org X Server 1.14.3
Release Date: 2013-09-12
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.10.17-gentoo x86_64 Gentoo
Current Operating System: Linux mg_host 3.10.17-gentoo #1 SMP Mon Dec 30 11:29:44 IST 2013 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.17-gentoo root=/dev/sdb7
Build Date: 29 December 2013  03:16:09PM

Current version of pixman: 0.32.4
   Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
   to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
   (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Tue Dec 31 13:53:02 2013
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
setversion 1.4 failed
Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
Initializing built-in extension XTEST
Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
Initializing built-in extension SYNC
Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
Initializing built-in extension RENDER
Initializing built-in extension RANDR
Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
Initializing built-in extension RECORD
Initializing built-in extension DPMS
Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
Initializing built-in extension XVideo
Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
Initializing built-in extension DRI2
Loading extension GLX
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.1.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allright! one step closer. So lightdm works, that means that gdm had some kind of issue that lightdm does not.

The log looks like you tried to login. Did it work? Did you get to gnome?

If so, I would suggest just ditching gdm and go with lightdm. You can set this as the default by settings: DISPLAYMANAGER="lightdm" in /etc/conf.d/xdm.

Unless you want to debug gdm further, if you prefer using gdm as your login manager.

Well, the strange abstract art. Hmm. Maybe your nvidia card is not fully supported by nouveau. What card do you have? If you do not know exactly, type:
Code:
lspci | grep VGA

There might as well be some info about that in the X log. However, sadly it was the file from the last attempt that failed. This time it was numbered differently with a 0:
Quote:
[+124.33s] DEBUG: DisplayServer x-0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log

could you post that file? And also, if it says at the end of that file something like this:
Code:
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.1.log" for additional information.

again, then that file as well.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first i get an abstract screen, then i try login and get oh no! screen. then i log out and get nice login screen of lightdm
but - when i type my password and try login it goes again to the screen: oh no!
according my experience nouveau is ok to my nvidia: G86 Geforce 8400 GS rev a1.
Code:

X.Org X Server 1.14.3
Current Operating System: Linux mg_host 3.10.17-gentoo #1 SMP Mon Dec 30 11:29:44 IST 2013 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.17-gentoo root=/dev/sdb7

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Dec 31 16:05:51 2013
Loading extension GLX
resize called 1280 1024
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
(EE) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

Code:

X.Org X Server 1.14.3

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Tue Dec 31 13:53:02 2013
setversion 1.4 failed
Loading extension GLX
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.1.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, X log file looks fine. I'm not sure about the abstract garbage screen.

However, the "oh no" screen is a gnome screen. That means it now tries to start gnome and something fails there. Maybe for the same reason that gdm fails.

Darn, I hoped that one would work as soon as you can get X up and login. Okay then, we are one step close, so let's try to debug the gnome startup as well.

There should be a file called ".xsession-errors" in your home directory, i.e. /home/<username>/.xsession-errors. If that file contains anything, please post that file.

If there is nothing in there, gnome probably didn't get to the point where the authentication of your user finished successfully. In that case there may be a clue in yet another lightdm log file. This should be called /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log. This log file should contain all the logs after lightdm successfully started and the greeter (the GUI that gives you the nice login screen) is running.
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is not at all .xsession-errors file.
here is the log: maybe sessions directory is missing????
Code:

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_shell_parse_argv: assertion `command_line != NULL' failed

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): WARNING **: Failed to open sessions directory: Error opening directory '/usr/share/lightdm/sessions': No such file or directory

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): WARNING **: Failed to open sessions directory: Error opening directory '/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions': No such file or directory

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): WARNING **: Failed to load user image: Failed to open file '/home/moshe/.face': No such file or directory

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): WARNING **: Could not get accounts property XKeyboardLayouts

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): WARNING **: Could not get accounts property XHasMessages

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type: assertion `value != NULL' failed

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_type_is_subtype_of: assertion `g_variant_type_check (type)' failed

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type_string: assertion `value != NULL' failed

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): WARNING **: Unexpected accounts property type for XHasMessages: (null)

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_unref: assertion `value != NULL' failed

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): WARNING **: Could not get accounts property XKeyboardLayouts

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): WARNING **: Could not get accounts property XHasMessages

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type: assertion `value != NULL' failed

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_type_is_subtype_of: assertion `g_variant_type_check (type)' failed

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_get_type_string: assertion `value != NULL' failed

** (lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): WARNING **: Unexpected accounts property type for XHasMessages: (null)

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_unref: assertion `value != NULL' failed

(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): Gdk-WARNING **: lightdm-gtk-greeter: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Kompi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, seems unproblematic except the last line:
Code:
(lightdm-gtk-greeter:17188): Gdk-WARNING **: lightdm-gtk-greeter: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

which could indicate something crashed during startup.

I just realized something though. You said at the beginning that you are trying to use gnome2. It that correct? Because this "oh no" screen was, as far as I remember, only introduced in gnome 3. Did you maybe install gnome 3 (or perhaps even some version 3 packages and some gnome2 packages?). If you accidently mixed the versions, that would certainly explain the issues. If you actually have gnome 3 installed, then all of the trouble could be related to not having systemd running. The gnome 3 implementation of Gentoo only works with systemd, as it needs its logind daemon running.

Could you type in:

Code:
emerge -pv gnome gnome-session gnome-shell gdm

and post the output? Especially the version numbers are of interest of course.

To get the output into a file:

Code:
emerge -pv gnome gnome-session gnome-shell gdm > /tmp/emerge-gnome.log
pmam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the command that i typed in order to install gnome was according the howto: emerge gnome.
so i think it is not gnome 3. here is the log:
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies  .. ... done!
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8.4-r1  USE="ipv6 -debug -doc -gconf -systemd" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8.4-r2  USE="bluetooth i18n networkmanager (-openrc-force)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -python2_6" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gdm-3.8.4-r3  USE="branding gnome-shell introspection ipv6 systemd tcpd -accessibility -audit -debug -fallback -fprint -plymouth (-selinux) {-test} -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-3.8.0-r1:2.0  USE="bluetooth cdr classic cups extras -accessibility -flashback" 0 kB

Total: 4 packages (4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

* IMPORTANT: 1 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: