grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg doesn't complete/hangs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg doesn't complete/hangs Reply with quote

As background I am trying to solve this problem: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-976176-highlight-.html

I am not able to boot my system at all. It is LUKS over LVM and dual boot Win7. When booting it throws a real root balh blah not recognized but the path to real_root it indicates is correct.

At the moment I am stuck because
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
hangs and never completes. I ran it once to stdout to see where it is getting stuck and it appears to be at
Quote:
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

Any ideas?
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to install the os-prober package if not. The /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober script use the os-prober command. An other thing you can do is to render the /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober script not executable
Code:
chmod 0644 /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober

and see if grub2-mkconfig is completing. You will not have any entry other than the ones to boot Gentoo this way, but you have a chance to first boot Gentoo to resolv from it the other problems you have.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
You can try to install the os-prober package if not. The /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober script use the os-prober command. An other thing you can do is to render the /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober script not executable
Code:
chmod 0644 /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober

and see if grub2-mkconfig is completing. You will not have any entry other than the ones to boot Gentoo this way, but you have a chance to first boot Gentoo to resolv from it the other problems you have.

OK. I reinstalled the os-prober package and that didn't fix it. Still stalls on 30_os-prober.

I did the chmod and grub2-mkconfig successfully completed. But I still can't boot my Gentoo. (I think this is a separate issue I have to resolve).

I re-installed the the ntfs3g package thinking that maybe that got borked somehow but that didn't fix anything. chmod'ed back to original permissions and it still stalls on 30_os-prober so clearly something is not right with that particular script. Any other ideas?

Also even though you did say it I spaced out. Now I can't boot into my Win7partition because grub2-mkconfig rewrote grub without that entry. How do I get it back?

Thanks.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So part of my problem is that I had a corrupted grub.cfg file. It had lots of junk data in it "$" that I assume rendered it useless when loaded. I cleaned it up and was able to boot and then run grub2-mkconfig which completed successfully.

I went back to my chroot environment to see if I could duplicate the problem and the behavior indeed was the same. The script runs until it hits 30-OS_Prober and then stalls out. It is reproducible every time and if I turn of the executable bit on 30-OS it will run.

Is this a bug I need to report someplace? Is it a problem with the chroot environment?
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budoka wrote:
So part of my problem is that I had a corrupted grub.cfg file. It had lots of junk data in it "$" that I assume rendered it useless when loaded. I cleaned it up and was able to boot and then run grub2-mkconfig which completed successfully.

I went back to my chroot environment to see if I could duplicate the problem and the behavior indeed was the same. The script runs until it hits 30-OS_Prober and then stalls out. It is reproducible every time and if I turn of the executable bit on 30-OS it will run.

Is this a bug I need to report someplace? Is it a problem with the chroot environment?

i had same problem,when i type grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg,
run it,
before it completed,i press Ctrl+C

now i have same problem as you,how did you clean your orrupted grub.cfg file,
even i format boot partion that did not help me.
please tell me!
thank you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: