How to optmize MESA for radeon?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: How to optmize MESA for radeon? Reply with quote

I have an AMD E-350, HD 6310m graphic. I've selected some use flags, but not sure if it helps or not. Can I disable video_cards_radeon and use video_cards_r600 only? Another question, is there any use flags I can select/deselect to enhance performance? I've searched things like R600_DEBUG=sb but it's not too clear how I install this on gentoo (more here)

I picked up some mesa use flags that seems interesting here:
Code:
rodrigo@localhost ~ $ equery uses mesa
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for media-libs/mesa-10.0.0_rc1:
 U I
 - - abi_x86_32           : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 - - bindist              : Disable patent-encumbered ARB_texture_float, EXT_texture_shared_exponent, and EXT_packed_float extensions.
 + + classic              : Build drivers based on the classic architecture.
 - - debug                : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
 + + egl                  : Enable EGL support.
 + + gallium              : Build drivers based on Gallium3D, the new architecture for 3D graphics drivers.
 - - gbm                  : Enable the Graphics Buffer Manager for EGL on KMS.
 - - gles1                : Enable GLESv1 support.
 + + gles2                : Enable GLESv2 support.
 + + llvm                 : Enable LLVM backend for Gallium3D.
 + + nptl                 : Enable support for Native POSIX Threads Library, the new threading module (requires linux-2.6 or better usually)
 - - opencl               : Enable the Clover Gallium OpenCL state tracker.
 - - openvg               : Enable the OpenVG 2D acceleration API for Gallium3D.
 - - osmesa               : Build the Mesa library for off-screen rendering.
 - - pic                  : disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
 + + r600-llvm-compiler   : Build the LLVM based r600 shader compiler.
 + + vdpau                : Enable the VDPAU acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.
 + + video_cards_r600     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r600, r700, Evergreen and Northern Islands based chips code for radeon
 + + video_cards_radeon   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards
 - - xa                   : Enable the XA (X Acceleration) API for Gallium3D.
 - - xvmc                 : Enable the XvMC acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.

Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question out of curiosity, this is a more newer cpu/gpu type. Why do you not use the binary driver?

The open source counterpart is always a bit behind with the support.

Your link points out to the open source driver which is rather experimental juding on the versions and other stuff, means you need the latest version from git or from the portage tree.

Up to you waht you do, but I think the easier way is to stick to the binary driver when there is no explicit reason to use the open source ones.
rudregues
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
Just a question out of curiosity, this is a more newer cpu/gpu type. Why do you not use the binary driver?

The open source counterpart is always a bit behind with the support.

Your link points out to the open source driver which is rather experimental juding on the versions and other stuff, means you need the latest version from git or from the portage tree.

Up to you waht you do, but I think the easier way is to stick to the binary driver when there is no explicit reason to use the open source ones.

I tried several times using fglrx int he past, but failed (I think the reason is catalyst is very buggy...). It's very easy to use radeon, I just would like to optimize this. My card uses R600 radeon, it's the version of radeon that wins fglrx and this is well know fact (3D it's about the same, but 2D r600 simply wins). The article is from July, talking about mesa 9.2-git, now I have mesa 10.0-rc1 ~amd64 in portage tree.
olek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are my USE-flags. I'm using an Evergreen-card as well. They are very well supported by now.
Code:

U I
 - - abi_x86_32           : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 - - bindist              : Disable patent-encumbered ARB_texture_float, EXT_texture_shared_exponent, and EXT_packed_float extensions.
 - - classic              : Build drivers based on the classic architecture.
 - - debug                : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
 + + egl                  : Enable EGL support.
 + + gallium              : Build drivers based on Gallium3D, the new architecture for 3D graphics drivers.
 - - gbm                  : Enable the Graphics Buffer Manager for EGL on KMS.
 - - gles1                : Enable GLESv1 support.
 - - gles2                : Enable GLESv2 support.
 + + llvm                 : Enable LLVM backend for Gallium3D.
 + + nptl                 : Enable support for Native POSIX Threads Library, the new threading module (requires linux-2.6 or better usually)
 - - opencl               : Enable the Clover Gallium OpenCL state tracker.
 - - openvg               : Enable the OpenVG 2D acceleration API for Gallium3D.
 - - osmesa               : Build the Mesa library for off-screen rendering.
 - - pax_kernel           : Enable if the user plans to run the package under a pax enabled hardened kernel
 - - pic                  : disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
 + + r600-llvm-compiler   : Build the LLVM based r600 shader compiler.
 + + vdpau                : Enable the VDPAU acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.
 - - video_cards_i915     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i915 video cards
 - - video_cards_i965     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i965 video cards
 - - video_cards_ilo      : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build unofficial gallium driver for Intel gen6/7 video cards
 - - video_cards_intel    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 - - video_cards_nouveau  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build reverse-engineered driver for nvidia cards
 - - video_cards_r100     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r100 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r200     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r200 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r300     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r300, r400 and r500 based chips code for radeon
 + + video_cards_r600     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r600, r700, Evergreen and Northern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_radeon   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards
 - - video_cards_radeonsi : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only Southern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_vmware   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for vmware video cards
 - - wayland              : Enable support for dev-libs/wayland
 - - xa                   : Enable the XA (X Acceleration) API for Gallium3D.
 + + xorg                 : Enable the Xorg state tracker for Gallium3D. This is not required for OpenGL acceleration in X.
 - - xvmc                 : Enable the XvMC acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.

Running 'USE="-video_cards_radeon video_cards_r600" emerge -pv mesa' it seems possible to drop video_cards_radeon but I never tried it. Going to do this right now.

EDIT: updated USE-flags. Also: yep, dropping video_cards_radeon is just fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: