View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: PS1 not working correctly in non-X consoles? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

When I'm in a non-X console on my system, the default PS1 setting coming from /etc/bash/bashrc:

Code:

\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\]

...isn't working correctly, and I'm sure that at one point it was working. The prompt ends up looking like this:

Code:
;tom@dell2:~tom@dell2 ~ $

...where the end of that...everything starting at the second occurrence of "tom", are properly colored, and look like it does in an X console.

I have an nvidia card, but note that I'm not using a framebuffer console, and have no initrd etc...not sure if that makes a difference. Also note that my TERM is rxvt-256color, but changing that doesn't seem to have any affect.

Like I said, I'm sure that at one point this worked, and I don't think that default changed. Any ideas what's up there? Thanks.

Tom

Last edited by tld on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp .bashrc .bash_profile

1 or the other controls login terminals... dispatch-conf might of wiped out your .bashrc changes too.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you're getting at...I'm not talking about making (or loosing) any changes to the defaults. My PS1 is using the default from /etc/bash/bashrc like it always has, and it's set the same way for console or X terminal logins. It's just not displaying correctly in console logins for some reason.

Tom
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you get rid of the 0's (zeros) that come right after the opening square brackets so you only have a single digit between the opening square bracket and the semi-colon. I frequently use ANSI escape sequences and I only have a single digit in that place. Maybe a single digit there is the lowest common denominator but that is just a guess.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That didn't help at all. Also remember that we're talking about the default from the installed /etc/bash/bashrc (for color terminals), so I doubt there's anything wrong with that. There's something strange going on specifically when I'm in a non-X virtual console. I just discovered the following:

If I use this:

Code:
PS1='\u@\h \w \$ '

My prompt in the virtual console still looks like I explained above:

Code:
;tom@dell2:~tom@dell2 ~ $

...just without the color. Also, if I unset PS1 altogether, I get this for a prompt:

Code:
;tom@dell2:~

...or, if I set PS1 to '>', I get:

Code:
;tom@dell2:~>

It's as though that leading string is coming from somewhere else altogether, and the PS1 prompt is being used in addition to it(??). Where would that user@host be coming from if it's not coming from PS1?

Tom
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROMPT_COMMAND?
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The extra prompt text appears to be coming from the PROMPT_COMMAND variable (also set in /etc/bash/bashrc), and if I expressly unset that in my .bash_profile, by non-X console prompts are ok.

What I don't get is that this isn't happening on my other Gentoo machines, which all have that set to the default as well. I can even see that is I shell to one of them with and tee the output to a file:

Code:
ssh mythback | tee out.txt

If I edit that output flie in binary mode (vi -b out.txt), it's clear that the output of $PROMPT_COMMAND is in fact showing in addition to the PS1 text, just like on this system...it just isn't causing any display issues in that case.

Strange.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
PROMPT_COMMAND?

You must have been about a second behind my post :D. Thanks.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turned out that, because this workstation had been built way before my other Gentoo systems, my own ~/.bashrc still had all the code currently in /etc/bash/bashrc to set PROMPT_COMMAND, as was ending up setting that with the command to set X-window titles, even in virtual consoles.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: