Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Guide to install a clean functional desktop environment?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
user77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Guide to install a clean functional desktop environment? Reply with quote

Hello there,

i use gentoo since a fowe years in server environments without desktop and since about 2 years on my notebook desktop.
While all serversystems work fine i have a lot of trouble with my desktop and thatswhy i asked for a guide to install all packages
in the right way.
Until now i used X.org desktop with nvidia driver and gnome 2.x. So far everything was fine, bit there are a lot of things that
does not work as it should be. Some things of these things are:

- no input devices after upgrading X.org packages, have to manually setuid X.org Binaries to get it work
- my notebook speacial keys does not work as user, only as root
- not able to mount usb-sticks (or harddisk oder cd-roms) as user ... if i plug a device i got error of insufficient rights
(have to mount it as root)
- pulseaudio works (on speakers and on headset), but i get no list of devices to switch them in applications

... there are a lot more things that are not really worst, because i can use all what i need, but it would be fine, if this things
works too on my next clean installation.
So can some provide me a set of use-flags that are needed for all the features in desktop environments and maybe a
quick howto - where i should have an eye?

Thanks a lot.
André
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you choose a desktop profile? → eselect profile list - then eselect profile set X, where X is the number of the profile you want to use.

Whenever you upgrade X.org, you have to reinstall the drivers for your input devices (xf86-input-evdev probably).
No idea about your special keys, though. You're probably not in all the right groups, but since my keys work, I never had to look for a solution for when they don't.
Since you can't mount drives as non-root user, you most definitely didn't put your user into all the right groups. Have a look at one of the last chapters of the Gentoo Handbook, there's something about creating an every day user.

Also have a look here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=desktop
Now it's time for the harvest
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Guide to install a clean functional desktop environment? Reply with quote

user77 wrote:
Hello there,

Hi, and welcome.

Quote:

i use gentoo since a fowe years in server environments without desktop and since about 2 years on my notebook desktop.
While all serversystems work fine i have a lot of trouble with my desktop and thatswhy i asked for a guide to install all packages
in the right way.
Until now i used X.org desktop with nvidia driver and gnome 2.x. So far everything was fine, bit there are a lot of things that
does not work as it should be. Some things of these things are:

- no input devices after upgrading X.org packages, have to manually setuid X.org Binaries to get it work
- my notebook speacial keys does not work as user, only as root
- not able to mount usb-sticks (or harddisk oder cd-roms) as user ... if i plug a device i got error of insufficient rights
(have to mount it as root)
- pulseaudio works (on speakers and on headset), but i get no list of devices to switch them in applications

Too much topics, and too generic. Next time, please, open a thread for each problem, and provide details. We can't really tell you how to fix all of these without any info on them, and discussing all of these in a single thread will turn it into a real mess.

All in all, I'd say that you should start checking that your user is in the right groups, because most of the problems seem to be related to permissions or privilege levels. You probably want to add your user to at least these groups: disk,wheel,audio,cdrom,video,cdrw. Some other(s) might be necessary depending on your setup. Also, note that [most] files under /etc (and particularly /etc/X11) need to be world-readable.

Setting a desktop profile is also a good thing in your case, if you haven't yet. Also, be sure not to set the "minimal" USE flag, unless you know what you are doing. It doesn't do what you (abstract "you") think it does.

Pulseaudio is a different thing. Problems related to it are way too "original" for me to understand.
user77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Guide to install a clean functional desktop environment? Reply with quote

Quote:

Too much topics, and too generic. Next time, please, open a thread for each problem, and provide details. We can't really tell you how to fix all of these without any info on them, and discussing all of these in a single thread will turn it into a real mess.

Sorry for that - but my intension to post this thread, was not to solve every single problem on my current installation.
I didnt find any thread - what to do and what to check on a new installation to prevent such problems in my new installation.
And thatswhy i was looking for a good guide.

I think the hint for a desktop profile is usefull (i allready used one) but this is part of a solution.
Also i will check the groups of my "every day" user :-)
Is there something special in case of the use flags? You write i should not use minimal (what i didnt)...

mod edit by i92guboj: corrected code tags.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's not really anything like a minimal desktop guide (as far as I know).

Or, better said, there's one, but it's not named as so: it's the gentoo handbook. The handbook covers the basic installation procedure. After that, you can continue with installing X. And, after that, you can pick one of the many guides that there're arount to install either Gnome, KDE, Fluxbox, of whatever you want.

Setting a desktop profile will already set up most USE flags for you. You don't have to worry much about that, at least not on such an early stage. It takes time to get the hang of USEs, anyway, and you will see that it will come out by itself as you use Gentoo. So, I'd say just install using the handbook for your architecture, set up X, choose your desktop and pick a guide for it if you need (you can as well open a thread about that if needed), and then just start using Gentoo. :)
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You probably want to add your user to at least these groups: disk

disk group has access to raw devices, this is serious security risk.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Quote:
You probably want to add your user to at least these groups: disk

disk group has access to raw devices, this is serious security risk.

True. But that also allows you for some other obscure purposes, such as bing able to format a pendrive ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: