which USE flags for mesa?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: which USE flags for mesa? Reply with quote

There are so many different USE flags for mesa. How do you decide which ones to enable?
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: which USE flags for mesa? Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
There are so many different USE flags for mesa. How do you decide which ones to enable?
If you ever wonder what which USE flags are good for, you could try equery from app-portage/gentoolkit.
Example for mesa:
Code:
 ~ # equery u media-libs/mesa-9.2.1
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for media-libs/mesa-9.2.1:
 U I
 - - abi_x86_32           : 32-bit (x86) libraries
 - - bindist              : Disable patent-encumbered ARB_texture_float, EXT_texture_shared_exponent, and EXT_packed_float extensions.
 + + classic              : Build drivers based on the classic architecture.
 - - debug                : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
 + + egl                  : Enable EGL support.
 + + gallium              : Build drivers based on Gallium3D, the new architecture for 3D graphics drivers.
 + + gbm                  : Enable the Graphics Buffer Manager for EGL on KMS.
 + + gles1                : Enable GLESv1 support.
 + + gles2                : Enable GLESv2 support.
 + + llvm                 : Enable LLVM backend for Gallium3D.
 + + nptl                 : Enable support for Native POSIX Threads Library, the new threading module (requires linux-2.6 or better usually)
 - - opencl               : Enable the Clover Gallium OpenCL state tracker.
 - - openvg               : Enable the OpenVG 2D acceleration API for Gallium3D.
 + + osmesa               : Build the Mesa library for off-screen rendering.
 - - pax_kernel           : Enable if the user plans to run the package under a pax enabled hardened kernel
 - - pic                  : disable optimized assembly code that is not PIC friendly
 - - r600-llvm-compiler   : Build the LLVM based r600 shader compiler.
 - - vdpau                : Enable the VDPAU acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.
 - - video_cards_i915     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i915 video cards
 + + video_cards_i965     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel i965 video cards
 - - video_cards_ilo      : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build unofficial gallium driver for Intel gen6/7 video cards
 + + video_cards_intel    : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for Intel video cards
 - - video_cards_nouveau  : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build reverse-engineered driver for nvidia cards
 - - video_cards_r100     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r100 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r200     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r200 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r300     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r300, r400 and r500 based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_r600     : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only r600, r700, Evergreen and Northern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_radeon   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for ATI radeon video cards
 - - video_cards_radeonsi : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build only Southern Islands based chips code for radeon
 - - video_cards_vmware   : VIDEO_CARDS setting to build driver for vmware video cards
 + + wayland              : Enable support for dev-libs/wayland
 - - xa                   : Enable the XA (X Acceleration) API for Gallium3D.
 - - xorg                 : Enable the Xorg state tracker for Gallium3D. This is not required for OpenGL acceleration in X.
 - - xvmc                 : Enable the XvMC acceleration interface for the Gallium3D Video Layer.
This way you *should* be able to find out what you want and/or need.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use equery a lot, it's great, but the mesa descriptions don't help much in figuring out which to enable. gbm, opencl, openvg, osmesa, xa, xorg, xvmc... none are defaults and they all sound like good things. Should they just be left disabled unless there's a specific reason to enable them?

Isn't xvmc obsolete now?
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
I use equery a lot, it's great, but the mesa descriptions don't help much in figuring out which to enable. gbm, opencl, openvg, osmesa, xa, xorg, xvmc... none are defaults and they all sound like good things. Should they just be left disabled unless there's a specific reason to enable them?

Isn't xvmc obsolete now?

Hear hear! For such a central package, there's very little user-level info *anywhere* that I can find about many of these flags, and certainly no single resource that addresses them all in one place, which I think us non-greybeards could often use. There's not even a page on the wiki for Mesa, which seems crazy.

I've just enabled a handful of additional ones (gbm, openvg, xa, xorg) just to see what if anything happens. I've always wished I could do this sort of thing with confidence.

If anyone can contribute here some *plain english* descriptions of what any of these flags do, perhaps it could be the basis of a dedicated wiki article.

One on which kernel framebuffer driver to use when various ones are available would be nice too, but one thing at a time :wink:

And sorry, but I don't know what the status of XvMC is these days, either. It's another of my "might as well leave it enabled unless something breaks" flags.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xvmc USE flag is enabled by default on your profile? I'm on default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
xvmc USE flag is enabled by default on your profile? I'm on default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop.

No, that was me. I think it was one of the global flags I carried over from my last netbook. I've dared to dick around with the flags before, but I still seldom know what I'm doing when I do.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: