View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElleStone
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Colord with minimal Gnome3 test environment Reply with quote

I installed Gentoo on my old slow laptop. I'm trying to set up a test Gnome3 minimal installation on this laptop. I've never (successfully) used Gnome.

The reason I want to set up a test Gnome3 installation on my laptop is to get a better understanding of how colord and gnome-color-management work. The reason I want to understand colord is because I maintain a website devoted to open source color management (http://ninedegreesbelow.com).

Right now the laptop "desktop" is Icewm, which I start with "startx". Starting with a very minimal working Gentoo installation, I installed

colord 1.0.3
gnome-color-management 3.8.3
gimp 3.8

which installed about 60 packages total.

I'm not exactly a linux newbie. I've been running linux since roughly 2008. I've used KDE in the past. But Gnome baffles me.

A little background: I partitioned my laptop and installed opensuse, debian sid, ubuntu, and fedora 19, in addition to gentoo. So it's a quintuple-boot setup. I did bog-standard full Gnome3 desktop installs on each OS other than Gentoo. They are all too slow, mostly, I think, because of eyecandy (desktop effects) that I couldn't figure out how to eliminate. In an effort to get them to work faster, I ended up trashing all four installs to the point where Gnome3 won't start at all. I'd really like to not trash my Gentoo install.

Clearly I don't understand Gnome, but I thought starting with a minimal Gentoo installation might be easier than trying to make, eg, a full Fedora install faster. So, again, how do I get to Gnome in the first place? I think I need a window manager? I think GDM is probably the wrong choice?

And once I'm actually at the gnome desktop, how do I get rid of the desktop effects that slow down rendering to the screen?

Or maybe I don't need to get to the gnome desktop to use colord? I think I do. Somehow colord needs to be activated and there's a system control panel of some sort that probably needs to be installed. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing! Any advice on how to proceed is very welcome. I'd like to keep Icewm running as well, because I don't plan on spending much time actually using Gnome.

ElleStone
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And once I'm actually at the gnome desktop, how do I get rid of the desktop effects that slow down rendering to the screen?

Try to use the fallback gnome option.

Maybe you are happy with http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/ its in portage (an older version). I think it used colord, not sure though.

I think gnome had the minimal use-flag also in the past, worth a try too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: