Updating world fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltamalloc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Updating world fails Reply with quote

Code:

# emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world
Calculating dependencies /

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for net-fs/cifs-utils from @selected
... done!

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "net-fs/cifs-utils" has unmet requirements.
- net-fs/cifs-utils-6.1-r1::gentoo USE="acl caps caps-ng -ads -creds"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    acl? ( ads )

(dependency required by "@selected" [set])
(dependency required by "@world" [argument])

I've tried to add "acl caps caps-ng -ads -creds" to USE in make.conf and to package.use as: "net-fs/cifs-utils acl caps caps-ng -ads -creds".
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:
/etc/portage/package.use
net-fs/cifs-utils ads
Code:
emerge -av net-fs/cifs-utils

Left Side: unmet flag, ?, right side: useflags available to satisfy
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper

Last edited by eyoung100 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating world fails Reply with quote

deltamalloc wrote:
Code:
    acl? ( ads )
This says that if you enable acl, then you must enable ads.
deltamalloc wrote:
I've tried to add "acl caps caps-ng -ads -creds" to USE in make.conf and to package.use as: "net-fs/cifs-utils acl caps caps-ng -ads -creds".
You have explicitly selected the one configuration the message told you does not work.
sk3l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have neither the acl flag globally enabled in make.conf, nor do I have it anywhere in package.keywords. The same holds true for -ads.

I just --sync'd this evening, and am running into the same problem.

Unless I'm missing something, there appears to be something buggered with the cifs-utils ebuild, or in whatever dependency chain it's using to resolve its USE flags.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the output of emerge --info net-fs/cifs-utils. You should always post or link to emerge --info when seeking assistance with dependency resolution.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE Flags in question:

acl: Add support for Access Control Lists
ads: Local Flag Enable support for Active Directory Services and create cifs.idmap binary - idmap support(net-fs/cifs-utils)

Proof ads Flag exists:
Code:
ecyoung@bedroom_gentoo Wed Oct 30 09:55 PM ~ $ sudo emerge -av cifs-utils

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
Calculating dependencies /

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for net-fs/cifs-utils                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
... done!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "cifs-utils" has unmet requirements.                                                                                                                                                                                                       
- net-fs/cifs-utils-6.1-r1::gentoo USE="acl caps caps-ng -ads -creds"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    acl? ( ads )                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

ecyoung@bedroom_gentoo Wed Oct 30 09:56 PM ~ $ sudo USE="ads" emerge -av cifs-utils                                                                                                                                                                                           

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Calculating dependencies... done!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

[nomerge       ] net-fs/cifs-utils-6.1-r1  USE="acl ads caps caps-ng -creds"                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[ebuild  N     ]  net-fs/samba-3.6.19  USE="acl ads aio client cups fam ldap netapi pam readline server smbclient syslog winbind -addns -avahi -caps -cluster -debug -dmapi -doc -examples -ldb -quota (-selinux) -smbsharemodes -swat" 33,317 kB                             
[ebuild  N     ]   net-fs/cifs-utils-6.1-r1  USE="acl ads caps caps-ng -creds" 382 kB                                                                                                                                                                                         

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 33,698 kB                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

* Error: circular dependencies:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

(net-fs/samba-3.6.19::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) depends on                                                                                                                                                                                                           
 (net-fs/cifs-utils-6.1-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (buildtime)                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  (net-fs/samba-3.6.19::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (buildtime)                                                                                                                                                                                                       

It might be possible to break this cycle
by applying any of the following changes:
- net-fs/cifs-utils-6.1-r1 (Change USE: -acl)
- net-fs/samba-3.6.19 (Change USE: -client)

Note that this change can be reverted, once the package has been installed.

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by net-fs/cifs-utils-6.1-r1[acl]
# required by cifs-utils (argument)
=net-fs/samba-3.6.19 winbind

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring
CONFIG_PROTECT). Carefully examine the list of proposed changes,
paying special attention to mask or keyword changes that may expose
experimental or unstable packages.
ecyoung@bedroom_gentoo Wed Oct 30 09:58 PM ~ $

Ignore the Circular Dependency Warning as I don't have samba installed

Fix:
/etc/portage/package.use
net-fs/cifs-utils ads
sk3l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Hu.

I actually wasn't posting in search of a solution. I had already put in place the fix referenced by eyoung (i.e. adding ads to package.use) and gotten past this issue. I was merely pointing out that I had not touched anything with my environment's pertinent USE flag configuration in the intervening time between yesterday and the last time I'd emerge'd @world (not at home right now or I'd qlop and see when that was). In other words, I had not explicitly requested the conflicting USE flags acl and -ads with respect to cifs-utils, but yet the problem was still there.
_______0
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but did you sync?

USE flags changes periodically, get re-arrange and so on. Therefore, after a new sync new USE flags may appear and the conflict reflects these changes.

Perhaps not 'best practices' to do but you could emerge world by hand until isolate that conflicting package. A single package shouldn't prevent from properly update the rest.
sk3l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I always --sync prior to emerging (with -N) @world.

I agree with your point regarding USE flags changing (sometimes under our feet), and that appears to be what happened in this instance.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sk3l wrote:
Yes, I always --sync prior to emerging (with -N) @world.

I agree with your point regarding USE flags changing (sometimes under our feet), and that appears to be what happened in this instance.

You don't need -N unless you explicitly change a USE Flag. At minimum, all you need is -uD. For USE Flag management:
Code:
emerge -av app-portage/ufed

sk3l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, the man page for emerge mentions that --newuse will also pick up USE flags that are added/removed to the package, or flipped by way of your profile, which seems to imply more than what the user explicitly sets. It doesn't really cost me anything except potentially wasted cycles, and I invested in a hexacore i7 to make sure I have enough of those to go around, so no harm done.

I'll check into ufed, thanks for sharing.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sk3l wrote:
Interesting, the man page for emerge mentions that --newuse will also pick up USE flags that are added/removed to the package, or flipped by way of your profile, which seems to imply more than what the user explicitly sets. It doesn't really cost me anything except potentially wasted cycles, and I invested in a hexacore i7 to make sure I have enough of those to go around, so no harm done.

I'll check into ufed, thanks for sharing.

Not using -N will cause emerge to show you which packages have "flipped or added flags." You will receive emerge output like we fixed in this post with the ('s and ?'s) or if you use -uDav the new flags will show up as %flag in yellow.

Arbitrarily using -N causes blind acceptance, and then you never know a new flag was added.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: