Why change in GRUB 2 directory, & what should I do? [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Why change in GRUB 2 directory, & what should I do? [Sol Reply with quote

I happened to notice an OT comment in a thread that mentioned the GRUB 2 directory was changed from /boot/grub2/ to /boot/grub/ in a recent sys-boot/grub ebuild (2.00_p5107-r1, if I'm not mistaken).

I was just wondering the reason for the change? (I'm not complaining, just curious.)

I also noticed that the ebuild of grub-2.00_p5107-r2 to which I upgraded today appears to have created a directory /boot/grub/ and put a symlink in it:

Code:
# mount /dev/sda3 /boot
# cd /boot
# ls -1
boot
grub
grub2
initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.9.4-gentoo
kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.9.4-gentoo
lost+found
System.map-genkernel-x86_64-3.9.4-gentoo
# cd grub
# ls -la
total 2
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Oct 24 16:06 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 1024 Oct 24 16:06 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   17 Oct 24 16:06 grub.cfg -> ../grub2/grub.cfg
#

Up until today I have been using the following commands to install GRUB 2 to my boot partition (sda3) and to generate the grub.cfg file:

Code:
mount /dev/sda3 /boot
grub2-install --force /dev/sda3
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

But, given the new version of GRUB 2, I'm wondering what should I do from now on? Should I change the last command to the following?:

Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and delete the directory /boot/grub2/, or should I continue to specify /boot/grub2/grub.cfg as the target file?

EDIT: I can see already that, whether or not I change the path of the target file in the grub2-mkconfig command, I will need to edit /etc/default/grub. Below is a comparison of /etc/default/grub installed by version sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2 and the /etc/default/grub I was using with sys-boot/grub-2.00-r3:

Code:
# diff -y -W 200 /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak
# Copyright 1999-2013 Gentoo Foundation                                                            |    # Copyright 1999-2012 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2                                      # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-boot/grub/files/grub.default-2,v 1.4 2013/09/21 18:10:55    |    # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-boot/grub/files/grub.default-2,v 1.1 2012/06/28 10:10:04
#                                                                                                       #
# To populate all changes in this file you need to regenerate your                                      # To populate all changes in this file you need to regenerate your
# grub configuration file afterwards:                                                                   # grub configuration file afterwards:
#     'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg'                                                      |    #     'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg'
#                                                                                                       #
# See the grub info page for documentation on possible variables and                                    # See the grub info page for documentation on possible variables and
# their associated values.                                                                              # their associated values.

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Gentoo"                                                                               GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Gentoo"

GRUB_DEFAULT=0                                                                                          GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0                                                                                   GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true                                                                          GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10                                                                                         GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

# Append parameters to the linux kernel command line                                               |    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
# GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""                                                                            |    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="`cat /proc/cmdline | sed -e 's#BOOT_IMAGE=.* ro ##g'`"
                                                                                                   <
# Append parameters to the linux kernel command line for non-recovery entries                      <
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""                                                                     <

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)                                                # Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console                                                                                  #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

>    ####################################
                                                                                                   >    # Inserted by me 18.06.12:
                                                                                                   >    GRUB_VIDEO_BACKEND=vbe
                                                                                                   >    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768
                                                                                                   >    GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="magenta/black"
                                                                                                   >    GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="white/black"
                                                                                                   >    ####################################
                                                                                                   >
# The resolution used on graphical terminal.                                                            # The resolution used on graphical terminal.
# Note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE.                            # Note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE.
# You can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'.                                             # You can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'.
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480                                                                              |    GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

# Path to theme spec txt file.                                                                          # Path to theme spec txt file.
# The starfield is by default provided with use truetype.                                          |    # The starfiled is by default provided with use truetype.
# NOTE: when enabling custom theme, ensure you have required font/etc.                                  # NOTE: when enabling custom theme, ensure you have required font/etc.
#GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub/themes/starfield/theme.txt"                                                     #GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub/themes/starfield/theme.txt"

# Background image used on graphical terminal.                                                          # Background image used on graphical terminal.
# Can be in various bitmap formats.                                                                     # Can be in various bitmap formats.
#GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/mybackground.png"                                                     |    GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub2/mybackground.png"

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to kernel                          # Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to kernel
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true                                                                      |    GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries                                         # Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true                                                                             #GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true

Fitzcarraldo's blog

Last edited by Fitzcarraldo on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why /boot/grub2 was changed to /boot/grub, but I noticed that the commands still have the grub2 prefix, as in grub2-install.

Anyway I would try with:
Code:
rm /boot/grub -r
rm /boot/grub2 -r
grub2-install /dev/sda
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fturco wrote:
I don't know why /boot/grub2 was changed to /boot/grub, but I noticed that the commands still have the grub2 prefix, as in grub2-install.

Anyway I would try with:
Code:
rm /boot/grub -r
rm /boot/grub2 -r
grub2-install /dev/sda

Not sure if that's the way to go .... I did that last week and ended up at the grub rescue mode :-/

And yes I *had* reconfigured /etc/defaults/grub ;-)
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swimmer, what did you then do to rectify the situation? What is the correct procedure to follow?

I had been thinking of using the procedure listed below to switch to the new way of doing things (/boot/grub/ instead of /boot/grub2/). You can ignore my Step 8, as that is only because I dual boot with Windows 7 and chainload from the Windows Boot Manager.

1. Mount my boot partition:

Code:
mount /dev/sda3 /boot

2. Edit /etc/default/grub as shown below, leaving the references to the new directory /boot/grub/ but adding back the changes I had made to the /etc/default/grub file of an earlier version of GRUB 2:

Code:
# Copyright 1999-2013 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-boot/grub/files/grub.default-2,v 1.4 2013/09/21 18:10:55
#
# To populate all changes in this file you need to regenerate your
# grub configuration file afterwards:
#     'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg'
#
# See the grub info page for documentation on possible variables and
# their associated values.

GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Gentoo"

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10

# Append parameters to the linux kernel command line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="`cat /proc/cmdline | sed -e 's#BOOT_IMAGE=.* ro ##g'`"

# Append parameters to the linux kernel command line for non-recovery entries             
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

####################################
# Inserted by me 18.06.12:
GRUB_VIDEO_BACKEND=vbe
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768
GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="magenta/black"
GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="white/black"
####################################

# The resolution used on graphical terminal.
# Note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE.               
# You can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'.
GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

# Path to theme spec txt file.
# The starfield is by default provided with use truetype.
# NOTE: when enabling custom theme, ensure you have required font/etc.
#GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub/themes/starfield/theme.txt"

# Background image used on graphical terminal.
# Can be in various bitmap formats.
GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/mybackground.png"

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to kernel
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true

3. Delete the new directory (which only contains a symlink to /boot/grub2/grub.cfg):
Code:
rm -rf /boot/grub

4. Back up /boot/grub2:

Code:
cp -pr /boot/grub2 /home/fitzcarraldo/boot/grub2.bak

5. Rename /boot/grub2/ directory to the new format:

Code:
mv /boot/grub2/ /boot/grub/

6. Install the latest version of GRUB 2 in my boot partition (sda3), as I have always done:

Code:
grub2-install --force /dev/sda3

7. Generate the latest version of grub.cfg in the new /boot/grub/ directory:

Code:

8. As I dual-boot with Windows 7 and use the Windows Boot Manager to chainload GRUB 2: a) reboot and select Windows 7 from the Windows Boot Manager; b) launch EasyBCD (I still have EasyBCD version 2.2 Beta - Build 179.exe installed); c) delete the Linux menu entry; d) select 'GRUB Legacy' (see Note 1 below) and specify sda3 as the partition on which GRUB is located; e) save this to the BCD; f) reboot.

Note 1: I would specify GRUB Legacy to EasyBCD so that Windows Boot Manager vectors to the sda3 boot sector instead of to (in theory) /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img (see the thread GRUB 2 wrongly using /boot/grub/ instead of /boot/grub2/ for the reason).

Fitzcarraldo's blog
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
swimmer, what did you then do to rectify the situation? What is the correct procedure to follow?

I had to boot with an usb-stick and rename /boot/grub/ to /boot/grub2/ again :-/
But if I look at your steps I think I missed out step #6 ... that might have changed things ;-)
Could you let me know how you proceeded at the end? I'm willing to give it another shot if I know it might work ...

Kindly yours
swimmer
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swimmer, I followed the procedure I gave in my previous post, and it worked perfectly. I am now using GRUB 2 Version 2.00_p5107-r2 and have it installed in the boot sector of my boot partition sda3 and in the /boot/grub/ directory instead of the /boot/grub2/ directory used by earlier Gentoo versions of GRUB 2. As was the case before I did this, the Windows Boot Manager vectors correctly to the boot sector of /dev/sda3 which in turn vectors to /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img and uses the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file.

I suppose the only thing I could have added to my procedure above would be to back-up the new /etc/default/grub configuration file:

Code:
cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: