Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anyone else wish they invested in Google stock?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Anyone else wish they invested in Google stock? Reply with quote

I was talking to several people at work today and one of them brought up that Chitpole's stock went up 70 today. I replied "Yeah, speaking along those lines, Google broke $1,000 today".

My boss looked at me incredulously and said, "WHAT?!"

I replied, "Yeah, Google broke $1,000".

He looked at his phone, showed his wife and said "Oh my god, look at that".

I asked, "You invested in Google?"

He said, "A while ago, I wanted to trade in my Apple stock for Google. Goddamnit." He got a beer out of the fridge, "Fuck...". He wasn't pissed, but was clearly annoyed.

Anyone else have the same kind of story with tech stocks?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did he get a beer out of the fridge?
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't he get a beer out of the fridge?
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
I suppose you have a point. Did he really say "Fuck" directly afterwards? Why did he show his wife his phone? Why did he call her "my god"? Is this story a mystery?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the beginning, sure. It's all 20/20 hindsight. There are numerous examples of companies whose stock would have made you very rich had you invested.

The key is having money you can afford to lose. $1k is a pretty steep entry point unless you have a lot of disposable cash. Some investing strategies recommend minimum quantities, so that gets expensive quickly.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, suck it.

8)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What goes up, must come down. You aren't rich until you sell. Good luck :)

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "suck it" comment was not meant for you, but for the OP.

Bought Google early, sold 1/2 to regain the initial expense. Whatever happens now is entertainment.
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
I suppose you have a point. Did he really say "Fuck" directly afterwards? Why did he show his wife his phone? Why did he call her "my god"? Is this story a mystery?

He pulled up the stock information on his phone, showed it to his wife, and said, "Oh my god, look at that..." I did post that rather poorly. Drunken posts make me talk not good.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:

He pulled up the stock information on his phone, showed it to his wife, and said, "Oh my god, look at that..." I did post that rather poorly. Drunken posts make me talk not good.
:P
Spent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
From the beginning, sure. It's all 20/20 hindsight. There are numerous examples of companies whose stock would have made you very rich had you invested.

The key is having money you can afford to lose. $1k is a pretty steep entry point unless you have a lot of disposable cash. Some investing strategies recommend minimum quantities, so that gets expensive quickly.

I got lucky once. I bought Ford stock in 2008 for $1.43 a share, now it's over $17 a share which doesn't make me rich, but it is a nice profit. I originally bought it just hoping to double my money, but it's paying out quarterly dividends now so I'm keeping it for the long haul.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
The "suck it" comment was not meant for you, but for the OP.

Bought Google early, sold 1/2 to regain the initial expense. Whatever happens now is entertainment.
I thought it was just a general comment that you did own it, taunting the less fortunate among us :)

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent wrote:
I got lucky once. I bought Ford stock in 2008 for $1.43 a share, now it's over $17 a share which doesn't make me rich, but it is a nice profit. I originally bought it just hoping to double my money, but it's paying out quarterly dividends now so I'm keeping it for the long haul.
That's all it takes sometimes. Just $85k would have returned over a million. Of course, there are always reasons a stock is so low. That also risks being delisted. I considered AMD a few years back. It was a bit higher, but somewhere around $5 IIRC.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Spent wrote:
That's all it takes sometimes. Just $85k would have returned over a million. Of course, there are always reasons a stock is so low. That also risks being delisted. I considered AMD a few years back. It was a bit higher, but somewhere around $5 IIRC.

exactly.

however, I am an idiot. I have to pay more attention to markets. Markets have skyrocketed since 2008 and everybody is making money except me (well, my house is making money). I really pay more attention.

and you didn't even need to be lucky to pick ford. The dow average has doubled since 2008. nasdaq has tripled. you could have just bought those indices and made a killing.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
exactly.

however, I am an idiot. I have to pay more attention to markets. Markets have skyrocketed since 2008 and everybody is making money except me (well, my house is making money). I really pay more attention.

and you didn't even need to be lucky to pick ford. The dow average has doubled since 2008. nasdaq has tripled. you could have just bought those indices and made a killing.
Yes, but that all assumes everything happened as it did. You can't predict the future. Picking a company today risks their doing something stupid tomorrow. It isn't a guarantee when you make the purchase.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Spent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
pjp wrote:
Spent wrote:

exactly.

Well I did buy many more stocks dirt cheap in 2008, including Dow Chemical at $16 which is up above $41 now. While everyone else was bitching and moaning about the stock market collapsing I was buying up stocks of sound companies at undervalued prices. I was regretting the recovery, I wanted to buy more...now I'm sticking to ETF's until there is another dip in the market. It's all in my ROTH IRA so I can't spend any of it until I reach retirement age.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Yes, but that all assumes everything happened as it did. You can't predict the future. Picking a company today risks their doing something stupid tomorrow. It isn't a guarantee when you make the purchase.

Indeed. I know fuck all about the market, but it looked close to rock bottom at 7000.

Quote:

Well I did buy many more stocks dirt cheap in 2008, including Dow Chemical at $16 which is up above $41 now. While everyone else was bitching and moaning about the stock market collapsing I was buying up stocks of sound companies at undervalued prices. I was regretting the recovery, I wanted to buy more...now I'm sticking to ETF's until there is another dip in the market. It's all in my ROTH IRA so I can't spend any of it until I reach retirement age.

yeah, I don't think you needed a crystal ball, but that's easy to say now.

My call now is that lots of the market has some froth, but it won't be released until interest rates rise. but I would do the opposite of what I say.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
it looked close to rock bottom at 7000.
Why would a stock price be so low? Because of bad decisions. It could just as easily go to 0 as go up. So unless there's a good reason to believe the bad decisions are over, I wouldn't buy. Trying to time the market isn't generally a successful way to buy, but I suppose there are probably strategies for that too.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Spent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
juniper wrote:
it looked close to rock bottom at 7000.
Why would a stock price be so low? Because of bad decisions. It could just as easily go to 0 as go up. So unless there's a good reason to believe the bad decisions are over, I wouldn't buy. Trying to time the market isn't generally a successful way to buy, but I suppose there are probably strategies for that too.

Bad decisions aren't the sole reason for stock prices to drop. In '08 when the housing bubble burst most stocks lost value based only economic uncertainty. All Financial stocks tanked, it didn't matter if they were losing money or not, it was more like guilt by association. I only bought stocks of strong companies - with their stock dropping really for no reason. I looked at Ford because I knew they had Billions in cash reserves so I knew I wasn't going to lose anything. The people that bought GM stock were crazy and stupid. GM had been losing billions for years before the market even collapsed.

Most of the stocks I bought was from reading recommendations on Moringstar.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it isn't. But a stock isn't at a dollar and change because of the market. I'm not arguing whether or not you should or shouldn't have purchased a stock. Just that in general, "it can't go anywhere but up" is the wrong attitude to take. In fact, it can be delisted.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
No, it isn't. But a stock isn't at a dollar and change because of the market. I'm not arguing whether or not you should or shouldn't have purchased a stock. Just that in general, "it can't go anywhere but up" is the wrong attitude to take. In fact, it can be delisted.

Oh I agree. But the Dow had lost about 40% from it's peak. It certainly could go lower, but it won't collapse entirely.

I think the surprising thing is the pace of recovery.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about buying funds, then yes, that typically reduces the risk significantly (and gains). I don't pay much attention to details of the DOW, S&P, etc, just general trends.

Let's say there's a 10% hit to the market in general. The 7,000 you mentioned earlier would then be 6,300. You then need an 11.2% gain to recover. Doesn't sound too bad. A 20% hit would require a 25% recovery gain, a 30% hit almost 43% to recover. An original 40% hit would be 4,200, and require a gain of 67% to recover. So a stock can take a very long time (if ever) to recover losses if the decision is based primarily on low price.

Also, while the markets have recovered mostly well since their big hit(s) after 2001, the economy has not recovered. The market gains aren't sustainable without an economic recovery. At some point, The People are going to have to pay the piper for the Fed's binge.

What I find surprising about the "recovery" is how little attention the media gives to it. When Bush was in office, it was one of their favorite topics.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: