The Navy’s newest warship is powered by Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: The Navy’s newest warship is powered by Linux Reply with quote

Thank lovechild for this, I got it from his tweet

Quote:
When the USS Zumwalt (DDG 1000) puts to sea later this year, it will be different from any other ship in the Navy's fleet in many ways. The $3.5 billon ship is designed for stealth, survivability, and firepower, and it's packed with advanced technology. And at the heart of its operations is a virtual data center powered by off-the-shelf server hardware, various flavors of Linux, and over 6 million lines of software code.

On October 10, I flew up to Rhode Island to visit Raytheon's Seapower Capability Center in Portsmouth, where engineers assembled and pre-tested the systems at the heart of the Zumwalt and are preparing to do the same for the next ship in line, the USS Michael Monsoor—already well into construction. There, Raytheon's DDG-1000 team gave me a tour of the centerpiece of the ship's systems—a mockup of the Zumwalt's operations center, where the ship's commanding officer and crew will control the ship's sensors, missile launchers, guns, and other systems.

Over 20 years ago, I learned how to be a ship watch stander a few miles from the Raytheon facility at the Navy's Surface Warfare Officer School. But the operations center of the Zumwalt will have more in common with the fictional starship USS Enterprise's bridge than it does with the combat information centers of the ships I went to sea on. Every console on the Zumwalt will be equipped with touch screens and software capable of taking on the needs of any operator on duty, and big screens on the forward bulkhead will display tactical plots of sea, air, and land.

Perhaps it's appropriate that the first commanding officer of the Zumwalt will be Captain James Kirk (yes, that's actually his name). But considering how heavily the ship leans on its computer networks, maybe they should look for a chief engineer named Vint Cerf.

more...

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovechild still lives? :lol:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khaaaan!!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Navy’s newest warship is powered by Linux Reply with quote

Quote:
at the heart of its operations is a virtual data center powered by off-the-shelf server hardware, various flavors of Linux
Interesting that they chose 'various' flavors. Consolidating to a single flavor would seem to reduce administrative overhead.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
lovechild still lives? :lol:
oh yeah! He wend to Ubuntu and then Fedora for ages. Now I think he uses OSX (I think)

energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

touchscreens? very good idea.

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Navy’s newest warship is powered by Linux Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Quote:
at the heart of its operations is a virtual data center powered by off-the-shelf server hardware, various flavors of Linux
Interesting that they chose 'various' flavors. Consolidating to a single flavor would seem to reduce administrative overhead.

Redudancy I guess. It's more important that stuff works than it is to be easy.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Navy’s newest warship is powered by Linux Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
pjp wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't say redundancy since multiple instances would provide redundancy, multiple flavours (worked and managed by different teams) would provide difference to minimise common failure points that would mitigate all these layers.
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
wildhorse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge -tv net-misc/openvpn
:)
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Navy’s newest warship is powered by Linux Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Prenj wrote:
pjp wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't say redundancy since multiple instances would provide redundancy, multiple flavours (worked and managed by different teams) would provide difference to minimise common failure points that would mitigate all these layers.

Well then don't say that if thats not what you would say. What seems to be the problem? :lol:
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Navy’s newest warship is powered by Linux Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
Naib wrote:
Prenj wrote:
pjp wrote:
Quote:

Well then don't say that if thats not what you would say. What seems to be the problem? :lol:
wat? you said redundancy, I was pointing out the reason to use different flavours was more than likely not for redundancy.
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see them using a specific flavours and using them to their strengths.

I see them using Red Hat for their on-board servers and virtualisation, Gentoo for when sources need to be compiled and patches need to be added (and tested), Ubuntu for their desktops and Debian for their system-wide installs.

All interoperable and degrees of separation.

ak47gen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone read the article and realize these people who wrote the article have no idea that Lynx is not a Linux Based OS. That it is a Unix-Like RTOS.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: