KDE 4.10.5 audiocd:/Ogg Vorbis doesn't work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: KDE 4.10.5 audiocd:/Ogg Vorbis doesn't work Reply with quote

I rip audio CDs using KDE's audiocd kioslave where you type audiocd:/ into Dolphin and all the CD tracks appear as wav files, as well as subfolders offering to rip and convert into MP3, FLAC and Ogg Vorbis automatically.

It seems that ripping CDs to Ogg Vorbis this way doesn't work at all. Dolphin estimates the resulting .ogg file should be about 7.3Mb for a four minute track, but it's actually about 26kb (kilobytes) with apparently nothing in it. All media players from ogg123 through mplayer to VLC choke on the resulting files, and ogginfo says...
Code:
$ ogginfo "09 Don't Let Go.ogg"
Processing file "09 Don't Let Go.ogg"...

New logical stream (#1, serial: 2ad412ee): type vorbis
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20120203 (Omnipresent)
Channels: 2
Rate: 44100

Nominal bitrate: 256.000000 kb/s
Upper bitrate: 4294967.295000 kb/s
Lower bitrate: 4294967.295000 kb/s
User comments section follows...
        kde-encoder=kio_audiocd
        title=Don't Let Go
        artist=Lightning Seeds
        album=Pure
        genre=Adult Alt. Pop/Rock
        tracknumber=9
        date=1996-01-01T00:00:00
Negative or zero granulepos (0) on Vorbis stream outside of headers. This file was created by a buggy encoder
Negative or zero granulepos (0) on Vorbis stream outside of headers. This file was created by a buggy encoder
WARNING: EOS not set on stream 1
Vorbis stream 1:
        Total data length: 22842 bytes
        Playback length: 0m:00.000s
        Average bitrate: inf kb/s
..."the buggy encoder" line is repeated about eighty times.

Ripping to FLAC, MP3 and WAV using the kioslave works properly, so there's no fault with the CD or the drive. Only ripping to Ogg Vorbis using the kioslave fails on any and all CDs I try. And if I rip a WAV I can still encode to .ogg using oggenc on the command line, so it can't be the vorbis libraries at fault here.

Any ideas?
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently I'm the only one who tries to rip CDs to Ogg Vorbis in KDE then.
EDIT: Apparently not, this bug is reported upstream.

I also discovered an oddity when ripping CDs to WAVs using the audiocd kioslave. Track 10 throws an error saying it "isn't found". Track 11 is labelled correctly, but when its played it turns out to be a copy of track 1 (track one). Track 12 is a copy of track 2 (track two). Track 13 is a copy of track 3...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: