Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
It is right to give them thanks & praise (Gentoo devs, etc.)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big group hug :D
StarLab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now running 2 machines on Gentoo. My workstation has Gnome installed, and my local web server / Dev machine which runs KDE.

Other than the Gentoo commonality, they look (and behave) like two completely different OS's on the surface. Now that's flexibility! (Or is it freedom??)

But yeah... I'll echo the gratitude already said above. I've never been happier with my machine(s). :)

I can only hope to achieve some expertise from my experience so that I too can contribute to the project.

Yay Team! Keep up the great work! :)
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right, what's more fun than Gentooing?

This is first rate, top-of-the-line.

If there was no Gentoo I wouldn't even have a computer.

Have a good one,

MH
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Hunt wrote:
You got that right, what's more fun than Gentooing?

This is first rate, top-of-the-line.

If there was no Gentoo I wouldn't even have a computer.

Have a good one,

MH

++

in that case I would have a Mac :P

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged some posts.
muhlemmer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using openSUSE for two years now. I is a good all-in click to install Distro. But some time ago I started to demand more from my system. I work a service job, so I fly all around the world. For some time I dragged along 2 laptops: One with openSUSE for my free-time interests and one company laptop (with an encrypted hard drive) with XP installed.

After a while I thought, hell this company laptop can boot from USB, there are USB live sticks out there, but can I actually install a normal full featured Linux on a external hard drive? After some Googling I found Arch Linux' wiki page on it. So I tried Arch. Arch's goal is to be customizable, but installs purely from Bin's. After installing KDE some issues arose and it just started to feel like a stripped down openSUSE. So I tried the same thing with openSUSE and it worked. Only, after some time (2,3 weeks) things started to crash every-time and even corrupting my /boot partition. I thought: ah, well that's just me wanting the impossible to work. (I've got experience in using Linux, but if it comes to into-deep I'm still a noob).

So after this happening to me every time, I found systemrescuecd. Which I started using to at least recover my partitions and some data which was not backed up and shoot a dd image back on the hard drive. I ended up checking out the origin of systemrescuecd and found Gentoo!

The first thought: ah shit, it has to compile from sources and (again) is completely customizable. Probably it will give me trouble. But I was too curious and started to read the documentation. And hell, I don't have to download a complete CD, DVD or USB image, I can install it from any other running Linux. Better even: it is made to be done like that, it's not just an option. No GUI or menu which decides what's best for you etc... Perfect!

So I gave it a try. When the first steps succeeded without any troubles, I became even more confident, the love begins. Just following the very complete docs I ended up with a fully running Linux on a USB hard disk. Off course there where some failed builds, but a quick google on the Wiki, Docs or forums solved the problems within 5 minutes.

Where openSUSE tended to become slower (sometimes ever worse than XP), Gentoo remains fast all the time. I'm running for 7 weeks now, did some big updates like openoffice.org and KDE and still it runs like it has been installed yesterday! In the end Installing and running Gentoo (If you read the docs properly) is easier than any full-featured distro. And after doing so, you already learned enough to do even more costum setups and everything as you like.

You got to love Portage! Some simple USE flags can alter everything you want. Issue a --new-use and you're good to go!

Anyway, what I just wanted to say: I totally love Gentoo and Portage!! Thanks a lot and Keep up the good work.

PS. I also like it allot that Portage also features Proprietary software like Skype and NXclient, which (for some weird reasons?) need to be installed by hand on openSUSE.
brian.ashton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Gentoo for about 7 years now everyday as a "many-hats" server for my humble IT business.

I just completed another regular "emerge --update @world" and all went smoothly. Read all the news. Made the changes. Learned some more little details, as I seem to do every day. Cautiously tweaked some settings. And I have even more confidence that everything is running better every time I do.

I am not an expert. I only know enough to know how much I don't know. I am reliant on you good people who make it so simple to learn and get excited about all this stuff.

I don't know how Gentoo is managed. Who is at the top. How it has come to this point, or what the plans are in the future. I just downloaded it and installed it 7 years ago. I expect I am a member of the biggest group of Gentoo users - those you never hear from and just use your phenomenal "distribution."

So since everything is working flawlessly, I wanted to create an account, stop by, and say thank you.

Thank you to everyone who has given answers on these forums, which I read constantly.

And a very big thank you to those involved in the development - particularly for your commitment to not breaking it in your quest to make it better!

You are all very much appreciated over here.

Best Regards,
olek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big "thank you" from me too!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: