No GPU acceleration in VMware
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chix4mat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: No GPU acceleration in VMware Reply with quote

Hi all:

I'm using VMware Workstation 10.0, which I installed via the manual installer as it's not yet available in Portage. Using a Windows guest, operation is quite perfect - everything works from audio to network and whatever else. The only thing that doesn't is the GPU acceleration. I've reinstalled VMware Tools, but that didn't change anything, and I have confirmed that GPU acceleration is working natively (confirmed by the fact that my 3D KDE effects are working just fine).

One question I have is whether or not "x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware" is required for what I'm trying to accomplish. I had it installed long ago, but I am not sure I actually need it. I'd rather not unmask it if I can help it, since it has a whack of dependencies. It seems to me, though, that such a driver would be for the guest, not the host - but I could be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: No GPU acceleration in VMware Reply with quote

chix4mat wrote:
Hi all:

I'm using VMware Workstation 10.0, which I installed via the manual installer as it's not yet available in Portage. Using a Windows guest, operation is quite perfect - everything works from audio to network and whatever else. The only thing that doesn't is the GPU acceleration. I've reinstalled VMware Tools, but that didn't change anything, and I have confirmed that GPU acceleration is working natively (confirmed by the fact that my 3D KDE effects are working just fine).

One question I have is whether or not "x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware" is required for what I'm trying to accomplish. I had it installed long ago, but I am not sure I actually need it. I'd rather not unmask it if I can help it, since it has a whack of dependencies. It seems to me, though, that such a driver would be for the guest, not the host - but I could be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware is for running linux as guest, not as host.

afaik, vmware doesn't offer (yet) guest GPU acceleration. there are talks (and code) that uses gallium3d but not to the point that allows decent GPU acceleration.

I know that vbox offers GPU acceleration but don't know how much it works as it is still marked experimental.
chix4mat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No GPU acceleration in VMware Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
afaik, vmware doesn't offer (yet) guest GPU acceleration. there are talks (and code) that uses gallium3d but not to the point that allows decent GPU acceleration.

Thanks for all of the info. VMware does in fact have guest GPU acceleration because I used to use it to play my Windows games (mostly my MMOs) while running it as a guest under Gentoo. After VMware 9 broke on me, I stopped with that and just played everything in native Windows. I just can't imagine anything changing in this regard, though I could be wrong.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: No GPU acceleration in VMware Reply with quote

chix4mat wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

Thanks for all of the info. VMware does in fact have guest GPU acceleration because I used to use it to play my Windows games (mostly my MMOs) while running it as a guest under Gentoo. After VMware 9 broke on me, I stopped with that and just played everything in native Windows. I just can't imagine anything changing in this regard, though I could be wrong.

what gpu are you using?
chix4mat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the slow response, life has been a little busy lately.

I'm using an NVIDIA GPU (GTX 770) using the nvidia-drivers package in Portage.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick search on the matter pops up some topics on the matter but with ws 9, might worthwhile to check them
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: