Dual boot Win7
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seeter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Dual boot Win7 Reply with quote

Hi,
I have three HDDs. First sda is with Gentoo. It contains three partitions sda1,2,3 with boot, swap and system partitions. Next is with installed Win7. I have installed Gentoo firt on hdd. Then I have disconnected all hdd except second one and I installed Win7. Then disconnected Win and connected Gentoo and configured grub.conf. Last hdd sdc is with linux data. My grub.conf is written this way:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux 3.10.7 -=| new |=-
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.10.7 root=/dev/sda3

title Gentoo Linux 3.8.13 -=| stable |=-
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.8.13 root=/dev/sda3

title Gentoo Linux 3.6.11 -=| old |=-
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.6.11-1 root=/dev/sda3

title -=|| Windows 7 ||=-
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

3rd hdd is mounted when needed.

When I connect all hdds and want boot Gentoo, there is an error. There is unknown block hd(8,3). Should I reinstall grub or use live CD to edit grub.conf? During boot I checked grub lines and it was correct and not overwritten by Win.

Thank you a lot.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeter wrote:
When I connect all hdds and want boot Gentoo, there is an error. There is unknown block hd(8,3). Should I reinstall grub or use live CD to edit grub.conf? During boot I checked grub lines and it was correct and not overwritten by Win.
Windows can not overwrite your grub.conf. How could it?

I have a dual boot system at home with Windows 7 Pro and Gentoo. I did not need to disconnect anything.
Here is how I did it:
  1. Booted with SysRescueCD and configured hard drives using cfdisk.
  2. Installed Windows 7 on the partition I prepared.
  3. Rebooted using SysRescueCD (or any other that will do to install gentoo)
  4. Installed Gentoo and let grub install itself on first HD as usual.
The Windows Installer overwrites the boot records of the hard drives, so I daresay you have to chroot into your gentoo and re-install grub to overwrite the windows bootloader again.
Seeter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

That is it, I have already installed Gentoo on first hdd. To avoid overwriting grub section by windows I disconnected first hdd and installed windows on 2nd hdd. Windows could see just one hdd. Than i connected first disk and defined changes in grub.conf, added link for windows in grub.conf and rebooted. But there is some kind of mismatch in disk numbers and i dont know why. As I understand marking, it should be this way:

1st hdd sdA
sda1 hd(0,0) /boot
sda2 hd(0,1) /swap
sda3 hd(0,2) /

2nd hdd sdB
sdb1 hd(1,0) Windows C:
sdb2 hd(1,1) Data D:

3rd hdd sdC
sdc1 hd(2,0) ...

but when starting Gentoo it is looking for sd(8.3) and I dont know what does it symbolizes.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unknown block (8,3) is 3rd partition on the first hard drive the kernel enumerates in kernel speak,. also known as (hd0,2) in bios speak if selected as first to boot (usually), perhaps also known as /dev/sda3 in system speak
when the kernel panicked was there mention of "driver sd" and "available partitions" followed by a list of /dev/sd?? 's? If available partitions are listed what are they?
the kernel may have decided that the partition containing / is not /dev/sda3. It may prefer to name the / partition /dev/sdb3 (or /dev/sd?3)
if there was no list of available partitions your kernel does not include a built in driver for your hard drive motherboard adapter.
Seeter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did it again, but I overwrote windows disk with zeros. Than I disconnected all hdds except win hdd and I made discribed operations again. Difference is this, that in my linux hdd I have used 3/4 capacity. There was unallocated space. Windows during installation made partition on first hdd and made rubish in partitons. Now it is working, thanks for help.
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now your windows can't boot without first hdd.
It should be done like this:
1. Disconnect all the drives, except windows drive
2. Install windows
3. Connect other drives back
4. Install gentoo (if not installed yet) and instruct BIOS to boot first from gentoo drive.
5. Run grub-install and grub-mkconfig. All the drives should be connected.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again: You do *not* need to disconnect *anything*.

All you have to do is
  1. Prepare a partition for Windows using a linux tool like fdisk, cfdisk, parted or similar from a live CD.
  2. Install Windows and instruct the installer to use the prepared partition.
After that you can setup the remaining disk(s) space and install Gentoo.

Grub2 installation is a part of this gentoo install. And AFAIK grub2 can autodetect windows and offer a boot option for that automatically.

I have used this method to dual-install Gentoo with Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7 already, and it worked everytime without the slightest problems. The only difference was, that before grub2, one had to manually configure a chain loader in grub.conf.
Seeter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to disconnect all hdds, because windows are not able to install if it is not going to be installed on first hdd. First hdd was with gentoo and second prepared from linux for Win. I tried format hdd form Win instal but it wrote, it can't make partiton.

But thank you, now its OK.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: