Grub2 fails to build
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromaf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Grub2 fails to build Reply with quote

Hi ! After trying to install GRUB on the MBR and having the problem of lack of ncurses, I am trying to emerge GRUB2 and wont compile :

This is the part of the log where you can read the error :

Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnux32/4.7.1/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnux32/bin/ld: cannot find -lfreetype
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [build-grub-mkfont] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r1/work/grub-2.00-guessed'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r1/work/grub-2.00-guessed'
make: *** [all] Error 2
 * ERROR: sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r1 failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed

Followed all the steps on the AMD64 handbook and everything is fine until I merge grub but says I am lacking Ncurses, wich is not true as I have the lib on my system. Building GRUB2 drops me that error and I have merged freetype successfully, so I dont know how to solve this problem, any help would be much appreciated.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Grub2 fails to build Reply with quote

chromaf wrote:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnux32

Not sure what this directory means, but it seems that you are trying to install an x32 system (instead of amd64 [for 64 bit] or x86 [for 32 bit]).
You should do this only if you are an absolute expert and know what you are doing, since you will run into a lot of problems like this with libraries in wrong format, and many package will not work at all.
If you were not installing the x32 system intentionally, I suggest you start over from zero since changing a system to a different CHOST (apparently, at least gcc was installed for the x32 chost, probably more) is very complicated; you will need to recompile everything anyway...
chromaf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind. I donwloaded the wrong stage. Im back to Gentoo and its clear that Im a clomplete n00b again ! Thanks.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromaf wrote:
Thank you for your advice, I was guessing something similar. On wich point I do install a pure x86_64 system only ? I remember selecting a multilib profile during the installation, is it at that point ?

I guess that either you have set a wrong value for CHOST in your /etc/portage/make.conf (or /etc/make.conf) or you have selected an x32 profile. If you would have done everything correctly you would see:
emerge --info |grep CHOST= wrote:
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

Concerning profiles, I see nothing which is called "multilib" (all except no-multilib and x32 are "multilib")
eselect profile list wrote:
Available profile symlink targets:
[1] default/linux/amd64/13.0
[2] default/linux/amd64/13.0/selinux
[3] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop *
[4] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome *
[5] default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde *
[6] default/linux/amd64/13.0/developer
[7] default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib
[8] default/linux/amd64/13.0/x32 ()
[9] hardened/linux/amd64
[10] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
[11] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
[12] hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
[13] hardened/linux/amd64/x32 ()
[14] hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64

I guess that you have selected one of those which I marked with () in the above list. I suggest that you select instead one of those which I marked with * unless you want a particularly safe/minimal system at the cost of restricted functionality.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: