Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv,

I have installed glibc BEFORE some one has commented KEYWORDS variable.

It looks like people who add ebuild into portage don't do it's compilation and system update.
because most bugs are so obvious, that simple emerge -e system would tell you about.

And again, my system is working well without any problem! And you make me guilty again and again
for the wrong ebuild.

Special for you I would put here statement about glibc from its developers:

Code:
"The current stable version of glibc is 2.18. See the NEWS file in the glibc sources for more information."

Glibc is fine more than ever. Gentoo's local unneeded sandbox is broken. It's a fact.

P.S. What has happened to Linux community last time? Some go crazy with gnome, another with kde
all of them with systemd and who has nothing left brake systems with small tools which nobody need.

And they ALL blame users who don't want to use that crap.

P.P.S. I see no point why you try to fight back. The best you can do users will leave gentoo. Is it really what you want?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lefsha,

Gentoo is all about choice. You need to understand the implications of your choices either before you make them or have a way to back them out if they have unforseen effects that you really didn't want.

I don't see anyone leaving Gentoo because of systemd - not for a very long time. openrc is the default init system. You can get systemd if you want it, thats your choice. If you choose to use >=Gnome-3.8, systemd becomes a dependency. You must choose between Gnome with systemd or go without Gnome to not use systemd.

My choice, after 14 years as a Gnome user, is to give it up to avoid systemd. That Gnome needs systemd is a Gnome thing, not a Gentoo thing. If you want Gnome, you will get systemd on whatever distro you choose.

There are many other linked things like this is Gentoo too - not because of Gentoo, its the way packages are developed outside of Gentoo.

Sandbox is a Gentoo safety feature. It limits what ebuilds can do during emerge. If you turn it off, ebuilds can do anything to your system. Thats generally a bad thing.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! I have used used GNOME for about 11-12 years and with the latest hard dependency on sysd I chose to remove gnome. I even liked gnome3
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was actually thinking about getting rid of gnome too because of all this crap but after looking to the alternatives ( kde, xfce, etc) i decided to give it a go.
not that i really like gnome3 that much but if i have to choose between the current desktop alternatives we have right now, gnome3 is probably the one i like the most.

i also thought i would fscking hate systemd but i have to confess that i rather like it now ... apart from its obvious limitations and the borg it is.

cheers guys
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: