eix background color / eix CFLAGS options
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: eix background color / eix CFLAGS options Reply with quote

1)Eix background Colors

Since the last update of eix, the background color doesn't fit anymore with the terminal I use...
For example if I was using a terminal with white background, eix background was white too...With black it was black...

Now it's always black and if I try to disable the background with one of these options...

For example I tried this in /etc/eixrc :
Code:
 COLORFGBG=false
COLORFGBG_DARK="false"
DARK="true"

...Bagroung becomes grey

I didn't find anyway to make it white or disabled as it was before...didn't find anything in man/google/IRC about how to do it...

2)Eix optimization flag

My other question is related to this useflag :

Code:
 - - optimization        : Accept upstream's choices for CXXFLAGS/LDFLAGS for optimization. Absense of this USE flag does not strip user's
                           *FLAGS

Is that options supposed to optimize everything related to the CFLAGS located in make.conf ? or does it need some other special CFLAGS to be specified somewhere ?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: eix background color / eix CFLAGS options Reply with quote

alex6 wrote:
1)Eix background Colors

man eix
/FAQ
Quote:
Code:
 COLORFGBG=false
COLORFGBG_DARK="false"
DARK="true"

eix --dump will explain you the variables.
COLORFGBG should be set by your terminal emulator - do not manipulate this by yourself. COLORFGBG_DARK is used internally by eix to calculate from COLORFGBG the value of DARK in case DARK is "auto". Thus, summarizing your above settings is just the same as "DARK=true" since COLORFGBG* will just not be used.
For white background you will probably want DARK=false instead (or perhaps to fix the autodetection if possible so that DARK=auto gives the same result as DARK=false).
To disable the forced background use BG?=none (where ? is 1 or 3 depending on whether DARK is true or not), but be aware that you might receive unreadable or even invisible output if used with the wrong value of DARK.
However, all this is explained in the above FAQ.
Anyway, grey background with DARK=true is strange - the background is then explicitly set to black. What is your terminal and your TERM and COLORFGBG?
Quote:
Is that options supposed to optimize everything related to the CFLAGS located in make.conf

I do not understand this question. It will not modify anything in make.conf, of course. Only the gcc calls when emerging eix might receive internally some additional options. (Many packages do this unconditionally.)
alex6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: eix background color / eix CFLAGS options Reply with quote

mv wrote:

For white background you will probably want DARK=false
... grey background with DARK=true is strange

I tried with true and false.I made a mistake : I meant dark=true is black and dark=false is grey

Quote:
To disable the forced background use BG?=none (where ? is 1 or 3 depending on whether DARK is true or not)

BG1=true does actually work (now it's white, as I wanted, thanks :) )
I had to add COLORSCHEME1="true" for the colors to be like they were the version before (so readable while there is no background)

Quote:
I do not understand this question. It will not modify anything in make.conf, of course. Only the gcc calls when emerging eix might receive internally some additional options. (Many packages do this unconditionally.)

Well my question is : what would be the difference beetweem emerging eix with optimization flag and without it...
All compiled programs are supposed so refer to the CFLAGS in make.conf right ?
So does optimization is only an option to add more CFLAGS options specified somewhere only for eix ... or something like this ?

Does it act only on the way eix is compiled or does it change the way eix send instructions while making search/calculations ?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: eix background color / eix CFLAGS options Reply with quote

alex6 wrote:
I had to add COLORSCHEME1="true" for the colors to be like they were the version before (so readable while there is no background)

Your "true" is actually mapped to "0". The cleaner way to achieve this is to set TERM_ALT3="." (as described in the mentioned FAQ).
However, both means that you have only poor 8/16 colors - it works, but semantically different things are shown in the same color. Maybe you want to read the discussion in this bug.
Quote:
All compiled programs are supposed so refer to the CFLAGS in make.conf right?

That's why it is optional. With USE=(strong-)optimization, eix will possibly use more CFLAGS than those which you specified.
Quote:
Does it act only on the way eix is compiled

Yes, it is only how eix is compiled. E.g. with USE=strong-optimization and current gcc[lto] the produced eix binary will be about 1/3 of size because - among other things - eix will be compiled using the experimental -flto even if you did not specify it. It is similar to ffmpeg or other multimedia libraries for which speed is an issue: It can be a good idea to leave their build system the decision about the CFLAGS unless you have special reason not to (which you can do in case of eix by not enabling the corresponding USE-flags).
alex6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: eix background color / eix CFLAGS options Reply with quote

mv wrote:

it works, but semantically different things are shown in the same color.

Well maybe this changed since that bug report because I see for example different colors for installed version and available versions (with COLORSCHEME1="true") which was not the case with the previous version.

Quote:
the produced eix binary will be about 1/3 of size because

Would it also change much the speed of eix when, for example, after syncing, it's adding things to database (which usually takes long) ?

If I understand, the best way to make a comparation would be to check eix size with and without the useflag we're taking about ?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: eix background color / eix CFLAGS options Reply with quote

alex6 wrote:
because I see for example different colors for installed version and available versions (with COLORSCHEME1="true") which was not the case with the previous version.

This was always the case. It is attempted to keep colors for directly comparable things still as different as possible. However, e.g. the color of the RESTRICT flags like "^s" in the output of
Code:
eix sys-devel/gcc
is the same as the color of masked version. Or the color of PROPERTIES flags like *i in the output of
Code:
eix italc
is the same as the color used for overlay tags like [1] (and simultaneously hardly distinguishable from the color of stable versions). Or (less important) the color of texts like "Available version:" is the same as that of stable versions. Or ... [many other examples skipped]. I hope that you get the picture. With 256 colors all different items have different color.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: eix background color / eix CFLAGS options Reply with quote

alex6 wrote:
Would it also change much the speed of eix when, for example, after syncing, it's adding things to database (which usually takes long)?

Hardly. eix-update is mainly IO-bound. Perhaps on extremely memory-restricted systems (<100MB RAM) it makes a measurable difference.
It is not clear what you mean by "takes long", but if eix-update spends its main time with overlays and you are speaking about several minutes, you should read the section SPEEDUP on the eix manpage.
alex6
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thx for these clarifications.Anyway using the new color scheme with white background make things unreadable...

If I had this I would be happy : https://483976.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=358042

But instead I have this : http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1378662312.png

Normal text is like grey instead of black...

If I understand, It seems we have to write for someone to write a new color scheme with 256 colors but adapted to white background

I didn't notice there was a section SPEEDUP in man eix, thank you I'll read that.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex6 wrote:
If I had this I would be happy : https://483976.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=358042

It seems this is the 256 color scheme for light background (#3, counting starts from #0) which is supposed to be chosen if your terminal supports 256 colors and has light background.
If you set only DARK=false (and perhaps BG3=none) you should see this. Please test. Do not set anything else concerning colors!
If this works, please post the output of
Code:
echo $TERM, $COLORFGBG
and we can see whether we can make it work even for DARK=auto (because you probably do not want to use the same scheme e.g. on the plain linux console).
Quote:
But instead I have this : http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1378662312.png

This is the 256 color scheme for black background (#1), but with BG1 changed. You only get this if you have DARK=true (or DARK=auto and your terminal is recognized by the values of TERM and COLORFGBG as a "dark background" terminal. Unfortunately, there is no general way to make this recognition reliable, but we can certainly "fix" it for your case).
Quote:
If I understand, It seems we have to write for someone to write a new color scheme with 256 colors but adapted to white background.

Not if you like the one from https://483976.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=358042
The poster in this bug was only unhappy about this, because the colors are different from that of portage. If you want in addition colors more similar to portage you need a scheme which nobody has written yet...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: