KSP thread
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: KSP thread Reply with quote

For anyone not familiar, here.

For anyone familiar, let's exchange craft files, goals, videos, challenges, and so on.

One of the latest updates has killed my save file, so I've been hesitant to restart my project (putting a rover at every single artifact on every planet). I just finished up Mun and was getting started on Minmus when my save file got borked by add-ons that were no longer compatible. I even went as far as having a huge space station orbiting Kerbin to prep for long distance journeys.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing the demo, it's quite addicting. I haven't managed to intersect with the moon properly yet but I did manage to get it to slingshot me into another orbit around the sun... I've been using the K(something) 5 rocket that comes stock, all my rockets seem to blow up on the platform.

I also modified the K-5 Rocket to have 2 extra stacked fuel tanks under the command module. That's what I used to orbit the sun the first time. Funny launch. The 'shaft' was swinging like a two point sine wave form all the way until I jettisoned the first stage boosters.

I am going to try an Orbiter that has its fuel tanks mounted on the underside, like the space shuttle...kindof.

[quote="Juniper"]I fail to see the relevance.[/quote]
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're that far into it, you might as well buy the full package. At least that way you can use some craft files.

With 5 tanks and with 20 low powered engines I managed to send a kerbal out of the solar system. I did some calculations and it would have taken ~600 in-game years to circle back to the solar system, as gravity of the sun would have eventually pulled the capsule back.... eventually.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point, I am going to send a 'probe' into the sun (I'll name it Gagarin I), but I haven't quite figured that one out yet. So, yeah, this is on my short list of video games to buy. When I explained the controls, my ~6 y/o son was able to pilot the K-2 for a bit without losing control. He was able to stay more or less on target until bailout when the fuel ran out. He was piloting it like it was a cruise missile though and not an orbiter.

Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes some faith in orbital mechanics to do your first orbit, it feels unnatural.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost in tears.

Before KSP has always treated their astronauts as disposable, now you actually select who goes into space and re-hire their replacements. There's only two factors in consideration to hire someone: Courage and Stupidity. The two could nearly mean the same thing. ROFL.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned about the maneuvers menu. up until now I had been doing everything manually. This is going to save me a ton of fuel!

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to check out the MechJeb plugin.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
You might also want to check out the MechJeb plugin.

I've used it, loved it, and starting to regret it. It runs a very high risk of corrupting saves when an upgrade happens.... it also begins to dull the honed skills needed to do landings, dockings, etc. - unassisted. I've gotten to the point where I've deleted my profile and started over vanilla.
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still playing?

I've been playing it with the intent to do everything via space plane and only using rockets to put comms satellites into orbit.

I built a SSTO and have successfully launched it once, but I've not managed to get it to do anything that other than orbit and then crash land when I couldn't find an airstrip to land on and ran out of fuel. Poor Jebediah, never gets to survive his mission.

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigun wrote:
I've used it, loved it, and starting to regret it. It runs a very high risk of corrupting saves when an upgrade happens.... it also begins to dull the honed skills needed to do landings, dockings, etc. - unassisted. I've gotten to the point where I've deleted my profile and started over vanilla.

The saves are still valid, the transition from 0.19->0.20->0.21 has been particularly turbulent because of the new plugin directory structure, and save file format kinda messed things about. But updating mechjeb to 2.0.9 should let KSP update the saves properly. But yeah, the game is still in heavy development, so these things can happen.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogamol wrote:
Still playing?

I've been playing it with the intent to do everything via space plane and only using rockets to put comms satellites into orbit.

I built a SSTO and have successfully launched it once, but I've not managed to get it to do anything that other than orbit and then crash land when I couldn't find an airstrip to land on and ran out of fuel. Poor Jebediah, never gets to survive his mission.

I am, but not as much as I did. And yeah, space planes are a bitch.
Bigun
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken a break for a bit. Latest development was that I managed to put a station around Dres, and got it refueled. Was getting ready to send a lander there when I took a break.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: