Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
My DRI success with a Radeon 8500 (128mb)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: My DRI success with a Radeon 8500 (128mb) Reply with quote

Ok, I guess this could be a continuation of this thread. After trying to install the new Radeon 8500 drivers (or the old Firegl drivers, take your pick) I kept getting this same error "(EE) fglr200(0): R200DRIScreenInit failed (DRI version = 4.1.0, expected 3.0.x). Disabling DRI. " in my XFree86 log file. I took the advice of Woolmonkey and totally re-emerged X after deleting all X directories. Then the drivers installed and I did not get any more errors.

My fps on glxgears went from around 197fps (before DRI) to 3039fps (with DRI enabled). I still have a few problems though. Switching to a screen resolution in game that is not listed in my XF86config will crash my system. No amount of "CRT+ALT+Backspace" or "CRT+ALT+F1" will get me out of it. I am forced to reboot.

I would eventually like to try the bleeding edge DRI drivers but I think I'll stick with what I got for now. My FPS on Quake 3 at 1024 X 768 resolution with all the goodies enabled is anywhere from 120 -> 300. I am going to try running with 1280 X 1024 resolution but I have to first add it into my XF86Config so that I don't crash my system. I also tried to increase my FPS by running from a plain Xsession rather than running from KDE, but my FPS was EXACTLY the same. If anyone has any other tips, please let me know. Thanx.
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Tried the DRI open source drivers.... Reply with quote

Ok, just letting everyone know that I tried the open source DRI drivers (R200) with my Radeon 8500 128mb and was getting a little less than half the frames per second (1509 FPS) compared to when I used the ATI drivers (3039 FPS). Switching back to the ATI drivers is a pain in the @ss as well because I have to unmerge and then re-emerge xfree86, otherwise I'll get that exact same error pop up in my XFree86.0.log as I posted above. So for now, I recommend that if you have a Radeon 8500 that you use the official drivers from ATI (unless you experience constant crashes or something).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tried the DRI open source drivers.... Reply with quote

HeadHolio wrote:
Switching back to the ATI drivers is a pain in the @ss as well because I have to unmerge and then re-emerge xfree86,
Do kernel compiles matter? Having to recompile X after each kernel compile would be non-useable.
HeadHolio
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject: I don't think so... Reply with quote

I haven't had to re-compile my kernel since I got DRI working. I will definately check that out though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: