[Solved] First boot failure - Yaboot problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brunatos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: [Solved] First boot failure - Yaboot problems Reply with quote

hi,

I am installing a gentoo on an Imac G5(alsa-nocam) by a live cd with the help of gentoo handbook-ppc, and i'm blocked on the part 10.... configuring yaboot.

yaboot crash on the startup : Unknown or corrupt filesystem

i had already installed an ubuntu and a Mint before and the dual boot between those both installations worked perfectly before.
i found on the forum this post : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7104900.html where they advice to downgrade yaboot & e2fsprogs ... this not works for me.

An other one, advice to boot on an ext3 partition so I ceated an other ext3 partition.

I fear that my partition table is broken or anything else cause i can't boot on my ubuntu part...

mac-fdisk :

Code:

/dev/sda
        #                    type name                              length   base      ( size )  system
/dev/sda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                                 63 @ 1         ( 31.5k)  Partition map                     
/dev/sda2         Apple_Bootstrap untitled                             1954 @ 42460072  (977.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/sda3               Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_ 1  42197864 @ 262208    ( 20.1G)  HFS                                     # MacosX 10.4
/dev/sda4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled                 109212891 @ 42462026  ( 52.1G)  Linux native                         # Ubuntu
/dev/sda5               Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_2 121804944 @ 156422000 ( 58.1G)  HFS                                    # MacosX 10.5
/dev/sda6         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                         4747083 @ 151674917 (  2.3G)  Linux swap
/dev/sda7         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Gentoo                    34354815 @ 278226944 ( 16.4G)  Linux native                        # Gentoo
/dev/sda8              Apple_Free Extra                                       49 @ 312581759 ( 24.5k)  Free space
/dev/sda9         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 boot                            262144 @ 64        (128.0M)  Linux native                            # /boot (for gentoo)

yaboot.conf
i'm a beginner but the option "partition=X" must link to the partition like /dev/sdX or must follow the physical place on the blocks ??
i followed some posts, so the yaboot.conf may be poluted

Code:

ofboot=hd:2
macosx=/dev/sda5
boot=/dev/sda2
device=hd:
partition=2
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot
enableofboot

image=/dev/sda9/boot/vmlinux
   label=gentoo
   read-only   
   root=/dev/sda7
   partition=7

image=hd:4,/boot/vmlinux
   label=ubuntu
   read-only   
   root=/dev/sda4
   partition=4

some ideas guys ???

Edit 16 1ug 2013 :

my problem was solved by restarting the install from scratch (removed all my datas & partitions (ubuntu&osX)). it's not a clean solution but it work.... (not very proud :? )
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600 with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X support).

Last edited by brunatos on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Odiseus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: First boot failure - Yaboot problems Reply with quote

brunatos wrote:

I am installing a gentoo on an Imac G5(alsa-nocam) by a live cd with the help of gentoo handbook-ppc, and i'm blocked on the part 10.... configuring yaboot.
yaboot crash on the startup : Unknown or corrupt filesystem

What live-cd? You've got the base-system installed on hd and work with a chroot-environment?
sys-boot/yaboot-static-1.3.16-r1 works - don't_t use 1.3.17
Quote:

i had already installed an ubuntu and a Mint before and the dual boot between those both installations worked perfectly before.
i found on the forum this post : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7104900.html where they advice to downgrade yaboot & e2fsprogs ... this not works for me.

You haven't got a copy of their yaboot.conf?
If you install ppc64 (~ppc64), what you probably should, you need to use sysboot/yaboot-static-1.3.16-r1
I boot from an ext4 partition, but it depends on the kernel you use - it has to be configured for this and shouldn't be too old either ;-)
Quote:

I fear that my partition table is broken or anything else cause i can't boot on my ubuntu part...

The boot partition behind Apple_Free looks strange to me and you don't realy need one in this case. Keep it simple for now.

This is my yaboot.conf (without my extra kernels and partitions and without an entry for nouveau)
Code:
boot=/dev/sdb2
device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:
timeout=120
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
default=linux
defaultos=linux
fgcolor=white
bgcolor=blue

image=/boot/vmlinux
        label=linux
        root=/dev/sdb4
        partition=4
        read-only

macosx=/dev/sda3

enablecdboot
enableofboot

The device= you find with ofpath /dev/sdxx

To install yaboot should be possible to use ybin from the cd, but you have to specify your yaboot.conf
It's a good idea always to use --verbose with ybin.
brunatos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thancks for your response.

Quote:

What live-cd? You've got the base-system installed on hd and work with a chroot-environment?

I had dowloaded the latest ppc minimal install CD (2013-01-27) and Yes the base system with chroot-environnement is ready. Today I boot on the live-cd and enter these commands for entering in my environment :

Code:

mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/gentoo/
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

Quote:
sys-boot/yaboot-static-1.3.16-r1 works - don't_t use 1.3.17

I got the 1.3.17-r1 installed now, i will try with the 1.3.16-r1

I will use your yaboot.conf adapted with my system and I'll destroy the last partition (/dev/sda9 boot). I gonna try to boot like that ....
I modify my yaboot.conf inside my chroot-environment with
Code:
ybin -v

Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600 with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM (AGP 8X support).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: