[SOLVED] What to consider? SSD, UEFI, Win dual boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime-otaku
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] What to consider? SSD, UEFI, Win dual boot Reply with quote

Hi fellows,

after some years without Gentoo I want to use it again. I am experienced with the installation procedure used 5 years ago. At the moment I'm using Win 7 at my desktop pc and Xubuntu at my laptop.

But with current hardware I think I need a heads up, before digging in. So if you can point me in the right direction that would be great.

The points I consider tricky are in combination:

* Windows 7 (maybe Win 8) dual boot: With Grub 1 it was really simple, but with grub 2 and UEFI I'm kind of unsure what to do.
* UEFI: I will have an UEFI motherboard. So it does make sense to use it I guess. But how? And how does it work together with Windows 7 or 8
* SSD: As far as I understand the alignment of the partitions are important. How do I ensure that with Windows partitions? I know of trim and how that is done in Linux.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understands BINARY and those who don't.

Answer the unanswered posts

Last edited by anime-otaku on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8 needs no grub at all, efi stub kernel and rEFInd handle it.
legacy grub works well with gpt disks
IMHO grub2 is flaky and badly documented.
aeyeaws64
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have win 7, freebsd, and gentoo. if you install gentoo nomultilib you get grub 2 which wont boot freebsd from gentoo. grub legacy works fine except its a hassle to change the splash screen. it must be 14 color xpm.gz exactly 640x480
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there and sorry for awaking this post marked as SOLVED.

I have some problems whith this thing.

My system is a 64 bits system with an Intel Core i7 4700HQ and, when i downloaded the stage3, i did it with a i686 one, dont know if i did it correctly.
I followed all the instructions with rEFind and worked flwalessly. When i configured the Kernel the first problem appeared: it was a 64 bits kernel (i chrooted from a 64 Knoppix i guess) and didnt let me compile it unless i remove the option "64 bits kernel" from the menuconfig. After i removed it and compiled it, i restarted and voila, my linux image was there as an option in rEFind menu (that was one huge relief), but when i try to enter on it it says "Unsupported while loading vmlinuz-blahblahblah" giving me no more option than rebooting. I THINK it might have something to do with the 32 bits kernel, i guess but no more clues. Any help will be appreciated. Greetings
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was there a reason for choosing i686 or did it just happen? people sometimes are tricked by the amd64 designation; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64 explains.
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
was there a reason for choosing i686 or did it just happen? people sometimes are tricked by the amd64 designation; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64 explains.

As you say i was tricked but i did it all over again with AMD64 and i still get the same "Unsupported while loading vmlinuz-blahblahblah" when booting, i'm really in no clue here sicne its the first time in install something with an EFI.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enter the chroot as you have been doing, then run:
Code:
emerge wgetpaste
wgetpaste /usr/src/linux/.config
emerge --info
dmesg | wgetpaste
and post the url's here
also, what profile are you using?
Code:
 eselect profile list

exact words of the error might help

knoppix was 7.2 or later? when you booted knoppix you had a uefi choice and a not uefi choice and you chose?
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first the wgetpastes you asked for:

http://bpaste.net/show/116036
http://bpaste.net/show/116037
http://bpaste.net/show/116039

Then the profile is: default/linux/amd64/13.0

Knoppix is 7.2.0 and the only option i had was to use knoppix64 (had to enter it as an option). The knoppix CD was NOT recogniced by reEFi so i had to emulate a normal bios to boot from the cd (activate the CMS option in the BIOS) The gentoo kernel i compiled doesnt boot either with CMS activated or deactivated.

The exact words from the error ar that, the part i put the "blahblahblah" on are just the version of the kernel (vmlinuz-3.10.0) and then it says press any key. The error is just that one. Greetings and thnks a lof ro your help, i hope you can figure out whats going on
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gentoo install is in compatibility mode so is in fact not supported in uefi.
refind would still boot it in CSM, except
# CONFIG_EFI_STUB is not set
efi_stub is what makes the kernel capable of acting as a boot loader

Processor type and features --->
[*] EFI runtime service support
[*] EFI stub support

side comment If your bios/uefi implementation and knoppix 7.2 interact to provide a uefi boot mode the opportunity to select it would appear in the bios screen that allows choice of boot device order. If your machine is set to "windows fast boot" normal selection of bios mode at boot time may be blocked. This can be turned off in windows or avoided by using refind to restart to bios.
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
Your gentoo install is in compatibility mode so is in fact not supported in uefi.
refind would still boot it in CSM, except
# CONFIG_EFI_STUB is not set
efi_stub is what makes the kernel capable of acting as a boot loader

Processor type and features --->
[*] EFI runtime service support
[*] EFI stub support

side comment If your bios/uefi implementation and knoppix 7.2 interact to provide a uefi boot mode the opportunity to select it would appear in the bios screen that allows choice of boot device order. If your machine is set to "windows fast boot" normal selection of bios mode at boot time may be blocked. This can be turned off in windows or avoided by using refind to restart to bios.

So does this mean i wont be able to boot it without csm?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

means recompile the kernel with efi_stub enabled and you can boot the new kernel from refind.
The author of http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8 owes you a beer. :oops:
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
means recompile the kernel with efi_stub enabled and you can boot the new kernel from refind.
The author of http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8 owes you a beer. :oops:

Dude i insist, God uses Linux!!! Everything working smooth (now i have to try and install DKMS to be able to get my Boradcom wifi working but that will be an other story). I even got a Kernel panic dude!!! a KERNEL PANIC!!!!! it has been YEARS since i las saw one (i must be the only weirdo who enjoys a kernel panic and a rebuild of the kernel). Thats an other point for you to check out in your guide:

When i ran the command to get the root param for the kernel i got a certain string of shit. Ok, i saved it for the kernel compile phase. When i fixed the thing some mins ago, the kernel did load but i got a huge kernel panic cuz there was no partition with that ID and i got a list of the partitions with their ID. Took a pic with my phone, recompiled the kernel with that string instead the one i got when partitioning (which wasnt even similar to this one) and everything goes smooth. I really dont know why the strings were nothing alike, thats something to consider as well.

Over all, GREAT guide, congrats. Whenever you are in Chile i'll pick up my beer
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how close to Patagonia?
might rerun blkid from the install and see if the partuuid for / boot matches anything
about to see if refind sees knoppix on my machine
shaking my head over leaving out efi and efi_stub; all the way back in my first draft in gedit and still never saw it until now

Last edited by DONAHUE on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
how close to Patagonia?

If you want to flyfish or trecking or a survivor man-style trip i'm the guy, really close to it. For big hunting i'm not an expert but can help. Conspiracy theory trips i'm the guy as well XD. Whenever you want
Skirmitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:

might rerun blkid from the install and see if the partuuid for / boot matches anything
about to see if refind sees knoppix on my machine
shaking my head over leaving out efi and efi_stub; all the way back in my first draft in gedit and still never saw it until now

Dont know about blkid, i tohught the IDS was something proper of the hardware and not the system i'm runing it from so i really dont know why the numbers changed. Alltho it can bother some ppl to get the Kernel Panic, its pretty stright forward to solve it unless you are the kind of guy who freezes and gets in panic in front of a Kernel Panic (it shows to you in the screen the IDS so its just a matter of pic and recompile the Kernel. Other things to get in mind:

The partition was from a Knoppix CD (meaning it was running a 32 bit toolchain).
The install was from a Knoppix DVD using knoppix64 option and with that i recompiled the kernel.
I never redid the partitioning nor re-created the file system. I ony did a couple of rm -rf * becouse of mistakes with the stage3 download (btw i miss so much installing from stage 1....).
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skirmitch wrote:
When i ran the command to get the root param for the kernel i got a certain string of shit. Ok, i saved it for the kernel compile phase. When i fixed the thing some mins ago, the kernel did load but i got a huge kernel panic cuz there was no partition with that ID and i got a list of the partitions with their ID. Took a pic with my phone, recompiled the kernel with that string instead the one i got when partitioning (which wasnt even similar to this one) and everything goes smooth. I really dont know why the strings were nothing alike, thats something to consider as well.

I'm speculating here, but it could have been a confusion between UUID (which in the context of blkid and many other tools is the UUID associated with a filesystem) and PARTUUID (which in those contexts is actually a GUID associated with a partition). On MBR disks, only UUIDs are available; but the GUID Partition Table (GPT) ties a GUID to every partition, so most partitions have both a filesystem UUID and a partition GUID (or PARTUUID, as it's identified in various Linux tools). Similarly, there's a filesystem's LABEL and a partition's PARTLABEL.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@srs: I think you've got it.

@ To whom it may concern: knoppix 7.2, in spite of claims to the contrary, does not boot in or understand uefi. Trying it did eliminate all uefi choices from my uefi/bios boot choice screen. Recovery involved selecting the windows hard drive as boot choice and rerunning 'bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi' to restore the windows bootmanager and refind.
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
knoppix 7.2, in spite of claims to the contrary, does not boot in or understand uefi. Trying it did eliminate all uefi choices from my uefi/bios boot choice screen.

Short of a bug or hardware problem, anything that deleted the entries for EFI boot loaders from an EFI computer's built-in boot manager must have been running in EFI mode. Thus, I suspect that your experience means that Knoppix did at least begin to boot in EFI mode, but something went wrong and caused the problems you've noted. I don't happen to have a recent Knoppix for testing, but I'm downloading a 7.2 DVD image now....
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ami aptio bios on asrock fatal1ty pro
inserted knoppix dvd
booted
refind menu appeared with no dvd icon
rebooted to bios/uefi
selected usb dvd as first boot choice
booted knoppix x64
very pretty
rebooted
instead of refind got legacy grub on my /dev/sdf drive bypassing windows on /dev/sda -- suggests knoppix x64 made the windows drive appear unbootable
rebooted entered bios set the windows 'ahci' choice as first to boot, only choices were usb, ahci, sata, and the built in uefi boot manager. ordinarily windows boot manager would be present in the list as first choice.
windows booted
reran 'bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi'
rebooted using refind for both gentoo and windows
srs5694
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've got the Knoppix DVD. It appears to be using an EFI version of SYSLINUX 5.0 as its EFI boot loader. This version was very early. Even the current (6.0) version isn't really completely reliable. So far I've only tried it under VirtualBox, and it fails to boot there; however, it might well boot on at least some "real" computers.

Overall, my guess is that you actually did boot in EFI mode (even though I failed to do so), but that SYSLINUX 5.0 EFI or KNOPPIX managed to mess up your NVRAM settings. OTOH, it's conceivable that this is yet another EFI firmware bug that somehow allowed a BIOS-mode boot to mess up the EFI NVRAM variables. In either case, I guess the take-away message is to be cautious with Knoppix 7.2 on EFI-based computers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: