View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's become a labor of love. It's surely not a labor that pays. :cry: It keeps me on my toes, and insures that I get to post at least one new bug report* per kernel family update.

GRIN

Cheers,
Pappy

* It usually involves ndiswrapper. Linus Torvalds isn't an ndiswrapper fan.
defer-
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im considering trying the kernel seeds. So whats the point? To get config where everything that isnt absolutely necessary for every situation is disabled?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so that everything you might need is turned on. The real idea is getting the hardware set properly for operation. The other settings have been set as experience has taught what works, and what doesn't.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope all my American users/friends/others had a festive fill the air with gunpowder smell day. I sure did! I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r174, 3.0.85, 3.0.85-gentoo, 3.2.48-hardened, 3.4.52, 3.4.52-gentoo, 3.9.8-hardened-r1, 3.9.9, and 3.9.9-gentoo in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r175, 3.2.48-hardened-r1, and 3.9.9-hardened in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
Heimfrost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use your configs round about 4 years with success 8) and your seeds helped me a lot at the beginning with gentoo, therefore I wanna thank you for your good work.
But isn't it a good decision to turn on lzo or with kernel 3.11, lz4 for standard kernel compressing on desktop systems, where compression ratio doesn't matter?
I would be magically impressed, if I could see new explained seed settings for the 3.x kernel on your page. :D
wguayan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Fresh Install - No Ethernet - Intel 82579LM (e1000e) Adapter Reply with quote

Greetings,

This is a repost from a thread I began in Networking & Security. NeddySeagoon suggested I post in here as my issue is unresolved. Here is the link if you want to have a look:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-964000.html

In short, I did a fresh install and was never able to get networking established. I have two identical machines both running the same ethernet adapters, both use the e1000e drivers. I have dhcpcd installed, configured the appropriate network files, I loaded the modules on my fresh gentoo install, rebuilt the kernel, etc...

When I run
Code:

/etc/init.d/net.eno1 start

I get
Code:

Bringing up interface eno1
ERROR: interface eno1 does not exist
Ensure that you have loaded teh correct kernel module fro your hardware
ERROR: net.eno1 failed to start

ifconfig -a shows lo and sit0. Obviously gentoo had no problem using my ethernet adapter during installation, so I know the hardware is solid. Any help would be highly appreciated! Anything you guys need to know just ask! Thanks!
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer you in your own thread.

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in trying a deduplication extension/modification to the ext4 filesystem that is based on work described here:

http://ansrlab.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/software/livedfs/

The tarball at:

http://ansrlab.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/software/livedfs/dist/ScaleDFS-1.0.1-kernel-3.2.tar.gz

contains source for the latest version of this, but it is aimed at the 3.2 kernel. I am running the linux-3.8.13-gentoo kernel right now, and would like to build the loadable kernel module for this filesystem so that it runs under my kernel. If I like what I see, I want to be able to maintain it to work with newer kernels as the neeed arises. Ultimately, I would like to make it an experimental addition to the gentoo kernel.

I am a very experienced software person, but I have no direct experience with linux kernel modules. Can one of the experts that frequents this thread point me to some documentation to get me started?

Thanks!

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of sources today. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r176, 3.0.86, 3.0.86-gentoo, 3.2.48-hardened-r2, 3.4.53, 3.4.53-gentoo, 3.9.10, 3.9.10-gentoo, 3.10.0-hardened, 3.10.1, and 3.10.1-gentoo in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moriah wrote:
I am a very experienced software person, but I have no direct experience with linux kernel modules. Can one of the experts that frequents this thread point me to some documentation to get me started?

Check out kernel-newbies - their IRC channel is a good place to hang out, if you want to get into this.
As for documentation, I'd get "Essential Linux Device Drivers" Venkateswaran (2008) (it's very good) and the latest Robert Love book. Here's some earlier ones:
"Linux Kernel Development" Robert Love 2005
"Understanding the Linux Kernel" Bovet & Cesati 2001
"Linux Device Drivers" Corbet, Rossini & Kroah-Hartman 3rd ed 2005 -- PDF here: http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/
http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelHackingTools | http://lwn.net/Kernel/Index/

HTH,
steveL
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. I think all of those books are available with my safaribooksonline.com subscription.

The reason for the question is 2-fold. First, I need to get kernel work under my belt. Second, I have a specific need to build and install ScaleDFS, which is a dedup filesystem based on ext4 that is optimized for virtual machine disk images. I plan to use it with kvm. The ScaleDFS sources I have are for the 3.2 kernel, which I now understand is an LTS version. I need to know which version of the 3.2 kernel is the best one for me to start working with, and I need to know how to integrate the source files I have so I can compile a loadable kernel module to implement the kernel side of ScaleDFS. The user side I understand what to do there.

If someone can tell me which 3.2 kernel I should be using, I will go look at those books and try to make this thing work.

------------------------- edit ---------------------

Yes, safaribooksonline.com does have the "Essential Linux Device Drivers" book. Its in my browser now. 8)

I went to kernel.org and saw that 3.2.48 was the current rev of the 3.2 LTS sources, so I checked, and sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.2.48 is available. I will emerge it and build it *WITHOUT* the ScaleDFS mods first to prove that it works for me. I am experiemnting initially using a kvm virtual machine, as it is easier to reboot, etc. than a physical machine, but once I get this working, I will put it on the kvm host machine, which is my development laptop.

Pappy: Is there a "reverse make oldconfig" so I can use my present 3.8.13-gentoo .config file with the 3.2.48 kernel?

Also, why does the sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.2.48 say I need the ~amd64 keyword? If it is a Long Term Stable release, why would it need this keyword?

pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make oldconfig is supposed to be able to go up or down in kernel families. It would be advisable to then use make menuconfig, make gconfig, or make xconfig to be sure you have everything you want, and nothing you don't. Sometimes the transition is not as smooth as one would hope.

As for the ~arch thing, I am not sure. I keyword for ~arch, so I get the source when it's freshest. My assumption is there are still a few outstanding bugs in that particular source version, but that's only a guess.

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a light night in source land. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r177, 3.2.48-hardened-r3, and 3.10.1-hardened in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moriah wrote:
Also, why does the sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.2.48 say I need the ~amd64 keyword? If it is a Long Term Stable release, why would it need this keyword?

Because we don't have the resources to stabilize multiple versions; therefore, all LTS branches have no stable keywords.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. It's unfortunate, but it makes sense.

Cheers,
Pappy
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me votes for pappy to co-maintain (as a developer.)

He's doing most of the grunt-work in any case. Ebuilds really are not that complex, and the kernel is a nice build-system. That would give others more time to review patches and source, and I'll be pappy has a helluva lot of knowledge there as well.

Ofc, this is where he says he's not interested, and gentoo devs blather on about God only knows what.

Not you, TomWij. Forgive me, I'm just jaded ;-)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy can proxy maintain ...
Being a dev is not required.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he licenses his configs we could indeed make ebuilds for the seeds in the Portage tree; combine it with some simple tool to place them in /usr/src/linux, eg. `pappy` to simplify placing the .config in place.

Something like:

• sys-kernel/pappy-seeds-gentoo-3.10.1 to install /usr/share/pappy-seeds/gentoo-3.10.1.config
  • sys-kernel/pappy-seeds-hardened-3.10.1 to install /usr/share/pappy-seeds/hardened-3.10.1.config
  • sys-kernel/pappy-1 to install the tool; this determines the kernel in /usr/src/linux, and writes (or asks to overwrite) the config to it. Parameters could allow customization of which kernel folder, the detection and which config to placet here.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ...

The pappy_seeds overlay ...

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be very interesting to find out how many systems are running kernels based on Pappy's seeds, as opposed to the other ways of doing it.

We could get a rough idea by counting the number of downloads of the seeds from the main website and the mirrors, but we do not have any way to know if they were used or not, nor do we have any way to know how many times a downloaded seed was copied to another machine instead of being downloaded directly from the website again.

Hmmm indeed! 8O

pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speechless. And, I am also willing. I'm not sure about working with the seeds in an ebuild apart from perhaps getting rid of the script that sets up make defconfig, or patching it so that script is replaced by a seed. I will take a look to find where that lies, and see what can be done.

As far as ebuilds are concerned, I have a complete ebuild library of all released kernel versions from 2.6.22 to the present in the various flavors I support. I hack ebuilds a lot at home, so I'm willing to help, if need be. I also check kernel.org on an almost daily basis.

As for the pappy overlay, I've actually though about that once or twice, amusing myself that I would have something worthwhile to offer. I might think about that.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Pappy
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think modifying the Makefile so it has a target of "seed:" would be a good way to do it. You could have you cake and eat it too. You could do everything you do now, plus you could "make seed"! 8)

pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. What would I have to do to license them? I thought that GPL or some of the other free software licenses would apply. If not, what steps do I need to take?

Cheers,
Pappy

PS, love the make seed idea.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Interesting. What would I have to do to license them? I thought that GPL or some of the other free software licenses would apply. If not, what steps do I need to take?

Just state what they are licensed under and provide a link to the license (eg. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html) on your website; at the moment there is no licene, so, we'd have to imply something that might or might not reflect your intentions. Which would make us unable to bring this towards the Portage tree.

Moriah wrote:
I think modifying the Makefile so it has a target of "seed:" would be a good way to do it.

The problem is that that is a different package; and well, such patch might not make it into genpatches I think. Better have things decentralized; if the location of the seeds ever changes, you don't have everyone complain it doesn't work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: