batch of failing media? [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: batch of failing media? [solved] Reply with quote

is it unusual or has anyone ever seen a box of dvd+rw in effect go bad one after another? like over a few weeks, maybe a few days after each other another starts to behave questionably? I'm up to 5/6 out of a box of 10 and wonder if my drives are maybe destroying them somehow? the discs are verbatim MKM/A02 which my understanding is they're good/high-quality.

the discs have been reburnt anywhere from 10-20 times each for some up to a couple hundred for others but don't know if the ones w/highest rewrites are the ones failing or not. I have a trusty old pioneer DVR-111D (fairly up-to-date firmware) I've burnt many thousands of cd/dvd with, cleaned the lens a few months ago. I added a samsung SH-224BB a few months ago. the pioneer is ide (jmicron on p965 board) and samsung is sata. kernel is 3.5.4 if it matters, cdrtools-3.00, udftools-1.0.0b-r9, dvd+rw-tools-7.1-r1. I've been using this collection successfully for many thousands of burns.

what happens is I burn an mpeg2 on one, burn seems to go ok. I put it in my tv's dvd player and it barfs it back out. I pop that disc into one of the drives and get these:

Code:
klogd: sr 8:0:0:0: [sr1] Unhandled sense code
klogd: sr 8:0:0:0: [sr1] 
klogd: Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
klogd: Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
klogd: Info fld=0x20
klogd: Add. Sense: L-EC uncorrectable error
klogd: sr 8:0:0:0: [sr1] CDB:
klogd: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 02 00
klogd: end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 128
klogd: Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 16

I've done lots of googling and while it says "medium error", I've seen lots of search results where the trouble is software-related.

those msgs keep looping about once every few seconds for up to a couple/few minutes during which time the drive is essentially locked up.

then often as not if I wait long enough I can do dvd+rw-mediainfo and get disc type and whatnot. but I can no longer mount it (I have "udf,iso9660" in fstab). a couple times I waited it out for /var/log/messages to stop and was able to reburn it/run in dvd player.

I've been using both drives for burning/mounting, I'm not sure they have anything do to w/the trouble. I'm 99% nothing on my system in terms of libs/tools has changed. so logically this seems to indicate the discs themselves but I've never had a package where many/all started to fail one after another.

Last edited by nordic bro on Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
olivea19
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: RE: Multimedia Reply with quote

I use DVD and DVD+RW. I can write CV or DVD. But I don’t know about this detail. Thanks for the sharing this information.
You share some code. I have no idea bout this code.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been meaning to follow this up, turns out it was the samsung drive. it's a great burner and burns everything else fine so I'm not sure what the deal is. I've used the pioneer only on the dvd+rws ever since and haven't once seen the trouble again. what seems weird is that initially the samsung burned the dvd+rw just fine too, it wasn't until many reburns that the trouble started showing up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: