OpenRC Interactive Mode Not Displayed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbishop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: OpenRC Interactive Mode Not Displayed Reply with quote

I have had a problem for quite some time. On boot, I get all the common local console screen output through the "Freeing unused kernel memory: 400K freed" message, but thereafter there is no console output until the login prompt appears. My /etc/openrc.conf has the following set:

Code:
rc_interactive="YES"
rc_shell=/sbin/sulogin
rc_logger="YES"
rc_log_path="/var/log/rc.log"
unicode="YES"
rc_tty_number=12

This has been going on for quite some time. This machine has been a true rolling upgrade for around 10 years or so. I am not exactly sure when this starting happening but it has been a year or two. Nothing is original. It's still 32bit, kernel 3.5.7-gentoo, with with all the original hardware cycled out over the years -- mb, cpu, memory, disks, everything -- plus all the rolling software upgrades from 2004 until now, and current as of this morning... So far a testament to Gentoo's awesome design and the portage system, really. But this has moved from annoyance to a bona fide problem now.

Can anyone help me through getting my missing console output back, please?
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does pressing I help?
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
dbishop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, no, pressing I does nothing.

I get
Code:

VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) on device 8:3.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 412K freed

and then that's it: just a frozen display until the login prompt appears.

But now i need to see the normal startup messages that should be appearing since there is an issue and I can't see what's going on, and the login prompt clears the screen (another annoyance that has crept in over time -- but this seems to be on all my machines now. I preferred having that text stay around).

Any ideas?
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start Here:
Framebuffer - Gentoo Wiki

Verify your settings...
dbishop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's all good and working as it should. afaik, the framebuffer mode is set way earlier in the boot process -- I can see exactly when it switches modes.

I *never* lose the screen, it always displays the correct text. It more as if the stdout is going somewhere else for the "interactive mode" output. But when it gets to whatever point in the default runlevel when the login prompt is displayed, it's all back to normal (all the vt's are where they are supposed to be, X is fine, etc)

The only thing that is happening is that the text between the freeing kernel memory message and the login prompt never appear on the main console. All the initial boot messages do, and the framebuffer mode is visible, then when it enters the runlevel part the text stops getting echoed (but the previous text never disappears) until the login message appears.

I have on the order of 20 other Gentoo machines and this doesn't/has never happened to those machines. The machine this is now happening with has been in constant service (through all manner of hardware change-outs since 2004/2005 (I forget now...)
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try booting the system w/o the framebuffer, ie remove the video line or the vga line from grub.conf, and post your result.
dbishop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the framebuffer line from grub.conf, restarted the system, but same issue (except that all the boot messages were in 80x25 mode). Console still displays nothing after the "freeing unused kernel memory" line.

Strange, none of my other Gentoo systems -- and they all use framebuffer mode -- have ever done this. Frustrating...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: