system clock is always wrong
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: system clock is always wrong Reply with quote

Hi guys!
Having a weird problem with my brand new Asus Z87-C mainboard:
No matter if I boot Win7 or Linux, the clock is always set where I last turned off the computer.
When it is off, it's still connected to the power, so why doesn't the clock keep ticking?
A battery issue with a brand new device is pretty unlikely, is't it?
Under Linux, the boot service hwclock gives error messages and can't be set.
Under Win7, time does NOT get synced with internet-time, even if it's set. Only manual...
Any ideas on this?
hadrons123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set ntp.
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NTP

But your computer has the same time as it was before reboot? Sounds odd.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am having issues with my network under Linux, so NTP is not functional yet.
Yeah, it's really weird. I have set Windows to sync with a time server, still if I turn off the computer (with power chord still connected), time will be set to when I switched it off if I turn it on the next day. Weird.
Jack Hair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's a new board you should return it. It's obviously a hardware problem.
Even when you disconnect the power the clock should keep ticking on battery power.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another weird thing, maybe related: I've set GRUB to boot after 10 seconds, still it's not ticking. I have no idea if GRUB is using the hw clock as well.
Yeah, I thought that as well, right now I am trying to find out what the reason could be.
hadrons123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would try replacing the Motherboard battery.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be my first shot before replacing the whole mainboard. Whew, I am not having much luck with this new computer. First the RAM was defective, now this. It's an Asus Z87-C mainboard.
clouds222
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be something wrong with the Intel I/O hub. most likely the RTC part. also, it might be the motherboard BIOS issue. you can try to update a new version of BIOS. If it doen't help, try to replace the motherboard.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace the battery, its quick, its cheap AND I would bet that is the issue.
If you want to check it take a DMM to the battery while it is in-cct NOT with it removed.

I have had a "new" RTC module for an arduino being delivered just not functioning and 30min after debugging my code and things just not making sense I took my DMM to the battery out of hte cct (3.5V) and in cct (2.2V), too low...
straight down the chemist and a new one was in-circuit 20min later

It might be a new build BUT it will be from parts in-stock AND while electronic components have a 25year to-datasheet lifetime *IF* stored correctly (25C, almost zero humidity, nitrogen atmousphere) batteries don't and they will discharge
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If

• the battery was defective, that wouldn't explain the problem either, as long as the box is attached to the wall.
  • the battery was defective again, the clock wouldn't be set to the last shutdown time, but to the original time of the board, that's probably somewhere near 2000 1st or 1900 1st, or somewhere else, it really doesn't matter much... it would always be the same exact time.
  • the ram was also broken, then the first candidate would be an electric problem in wherever they assembled the box, that sounds just logic. You know, unstable voltage=melted chips and engines.

It doesn't really matter if it's the io, the apic, the rtc or the fcb. The really important part it's that the board if probably fried in one or another part, and that you can't separate that part from the rest physically, so, the board must be replaced. :cry:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
If

• the battery was defective, that wouldn't explain the problem either, as long as the box is attached to the wall.
  • the battery was defective again, the clock wouldn't be set to the last shutdown time, but to the original time of the board, that's probably somewhere near 2000 1st or 1900 1st, or somewhere else, it really doesn't matter much... it would always be the same exact time.
  • the ram was also broken, then the first candidate would be an electric problem in wherever they assembled the box, that sounds just logic. You know, unstable voltage=melted chips and engines.

It doesn't really matter if it's the io, the apic, the rtc or the fcb. The really important part it's that the board if probably fried in one or another part, and that you can't separate that part from the rest physically, so, the board must be replaced. :cry:

Not quite true, the datetime would be written to an EEPROM and stored the last written time as oppose to the last incremented time, something it could manage *IF* it had enough power to clock as oppose to retain.
defective/lower-charge..
I'm not saying it is the issue just you can't rule it out since I have experienced this a number of time with RTC circuits. Take a DMM to it, its a 30second task
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected, thanks to Naib :)

Still, it's a board problem. And, even if it's a battery problem you paid for it, so, just as for a replacement.
trumee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am planning to buy the same board because of the 3 legacy PCI slots. Were you able to get the network and the soundcard to work under linux?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: