Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Penalties for leaving the cult of Veganism
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
big dave
n00b
n00b


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 0
Location: land of first world problems

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
Are there people who don't eat gluten out of their own free will?
I've only ever heard of those suffering from Coeliac disease or gluten intolerance not eating it. Why should anyone not eat food containing gluten?

it's now popular in hipster circles to go gluten free for the same reasons that these delusional fucks go vegan...

"IT'S HEALTHIER!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1565
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
I am nice to animals! I just love to eat them too.

I really believe you (seriously!!). Since a child I hate it that I like animals and even so I eat them. Moreover I can understand that you are disgusted when vegans think they are something better (like the hybrid-car-southpark episode), but even so it is the correct way of life.

The way I reconcile that is by reminding myself how many of our ancestors have been the victims of predatory animals, that my fucking cat would probably eat me if he could, and that ultimately all of us are eaten by animals anyway (those of us not cremated anyway).

I do think we allow too much uneccessary cruelty in our handling of livestock (food mammals), though. Somebody needs to create a special place in hell for people still killing whales, elephants, and other intelligent, endangered species.
_________________
"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism." -- Nikita Krushchev
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sporkbox
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Location: United States

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #1 thing that pisses me off about vegetarians and vegans is that they think they're somehow morally superior.

They don't prevent animals being mistreated. They don't lobby for better dairy or slaughterhouse practices, they don't know that field mice and various other vermin are killed in order to harvest their precious plants. They don't know (or care?) that the plant had to die to support their life just as the animal would if they ate the animal. They're hypocrites and don't realize it.

While I'm all for faster, less painful deaths for food animals and better treatment of them while they're alive, at the end of the day we're omnivores and more importantly, we're animals. We can't photosynthesize (much), so we rely on other life to sustain us. Killing is a fact and a necessity for life.

It's like these veggie-lovers don't know about the food chain.

That said, I enjoy a varied diet. Eating only one sort of food gets fucking boring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been studies that show that plants have emotional response. Just sayin'
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
There have been studies that show that plants have emotional response. Just sayin'


Just hope you're not referring to L. Ron Hubbard's shenanigans with the E-Meter and tomato plants. ;)
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Just hope you're not referring to L. Ron Hubbard's shenanigans with the E-Meter and tomato plants. ;)

Not that kind of Scyents! :lol:
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 778
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big dave wrote:
Clad in Sky wrote:
Are there people who don't eat gluten out of their own free will?
I've only ever heard of those suffering from Coeliac disease or gluten intolerance not eating it. Why should anyone not eat food containing gluten?

it's now popular in hipster circles to go gluten free for the same reasons that these delusional fucks go vegan...

As much as the idea of eating gluten free for fun appalls me, those people have their positive side. They create demand for gluten free products, so the people who really need it have more choice.
I remember last time I was in a hotel. The dinner buffet was so nice and with so many good things on it. And then they had the "gluten free" corner - some fruit and some other stuff, but really not that much. I was happy than that I can eat whatever I want.
_________________
Kali Ma
Now it's autumn of the aeons
Dance with your sword
Now it's time for the harvest
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was refering to Cleve Backster and his experiments in 60's.
It was debunked by Myth Busters, however :)
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sporkbox wrote:

That said, I enjoy a varied diet. Eating only one sort of food gets fucking boring.


indeed, sometimes you need to stop eating bacon and just have a steak or some ham.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swathe
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a fan of the quote "If we weren't supposed to eat animals, they wouldn't be made of meat"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 656
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swathe wrote:
I'm still a fan of the quote "If we weren't supposed to eat animals, they wouldn't be made of meat"


++

Indeed. And I actually have no problem with vegetarians, I was one for a few years. Militant vegans, on the other hand, can just Ef right off.
_________________
http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1565
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swathe wrote:
I'm still a fan of the quote "If we weren't supposed to eat animals, they wouldn't be made of meat"

:lol:

And, if we didn't need population control, people wouldn't be made of Soylent Green.
_________________
"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism." -- Nikita Krushchev
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a fan of "If we weren't supposed to rape women, they wouldn't be so beautiful"

Quote:

The way I reconcile that is by reminding myself how many of our ancestors have been the victims of predatory animals, that my fucking cat would probably eat me if he could, and that ultimately all of us are eaten by animals anyway (those of us not cremated anyway).

I do think we allow too much uneccessary cruelty in our handling of livestock (food mammals), though. Somebody needs to create a special place in hell for people still killing whales, elephants, and other intelligent, endangered species.

yes, but we are eaten when we are dead and not by pigs or dogs but by bacillus and I've explained before that they are not animals but fucking bacillus :) (and worms but those are like insects: non-animal bacillus too @Muso :D )

probably your cat would eat you, but you would eat it too when you are starving. But for example there is probably nothing more loyal than a dog. "dog's are mens best friend" is not a stupid quote.

for the predator stuff: yes, but tigers etc have payed enough back, other predators are dead anyway so lets skip the revenge thing or shift the revenge to child rapers etc. if some predators come back, we still have him

Quote:
The #1 thing that pisses me off about vegetarians and vegans is that they think they're somehow morally superior.

They don't prevent animals being mistreated. They don't lobby for better dairy or slaughterhouse practices, they don't know that field mice and various other vermin are killed in order to harvest their precious plants. They don't know (or care?) that the plant had to die to support their life just as the animal would if they ate the animal. They're hypocrites and don't realize it.

While I'm all for faster, less painful deaths for food animals and better treatment of them while they're alive, at the end of the day we're omnivores and more importantly, we're animals. We can't photosynthesize (much), so we rely on other life to sustain us. Killing is a fact and a necessity for life.

It's like these veggie-lovers don't know about the food chain.

That said, I enjoy a varied diet. Eating only one sort of food gets fucking boring.


I was writing an answer with the starting sentence:

let me explain something to you n00b..

but I guess if you don't know that those mice etc would kill anyway because "your" animal food has to eat before they get slaughtered, so you kill both of them while vegans/vegetarians kill only one of them (which is not perfect, but better than the other way), then it's useless to discuss.

but what is way more important is that you just searching for pseudo-scyientific arguments that you can sleep at night and don't have to change something...

edit:
haha if it bleeds, we compile it
_________________
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"


Last edited by LoTeK on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
swathe wrote:
I'm still a fan of the quote "If we weren't supposed to eat animals, they wouldn't be made of meat"


++

Indeed. And I actually have no problem with vegetarians, I was one for a few years. Militant vegans, on the other hand, can just Ef right off.


as a vegetarian, I too don't like militant vegetarians.

while i think it is "nicer" to be a vegetarian (after all, you have less killing), i think the moral superiority isn't that large. I think many of the benefits of a population going vegetarian can be achieved by a population heavily reducing meat consumption. the main problems of heavy meat consumption is the fallout of the shitty meat industry. if people ate free range meat or something like that infrequently as opposed to eating loads of shitty meat everyday, that would be pretty good. better for you too.
_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
juniper
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 757
Location: EU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

The way I reconcile that is by reminding myself how many of our ancestors have been the victims of predatory animals, that my fucking cat would probably eat me if he could, and that ultimately all of us are eaten by animals anyway (those of us not cremated anyway).


do you really take your moral cues from animals?
_________________
wswartzendruber wrote:
Well, every group has its nutjobs, and the Second Amendment crowd is no exception.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnitas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 26 Jul 2012
Posts: 270

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I appreciate that you are vegetarian, but it is a bit cliché-ridden :lol:

so it's good that hitler and tyson are vegetarians too :lol:
_________________
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1565
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

The way I reconcile that is by reminding myself how many of our ancestors have been the victims of predatory animals, that my fucking cat would probably eat me if he could, and that ultimately all of us are eaten by animals anyway (those of us not cremated anyway).


do you really take your moral cues from animals?

In some ways, yes. Unlike what you imagine the Flying Spaghetti Monster to be telling you, we are in fact animals. More to the point, however, I do not always act perfectly in line with my moral principles. If I did, I probably wouldn't eat mammals.

The idea that you are doing less harm by being vegetetarian is rather specious, though. I think you are smart enough to realize that. Bambi and friends had a good thing going until you plowed under their forest to make a soybean field. The best way you can minimize the harm you're doing would be to have no children, and you already fucked that one up.
_________________
"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism." -- Nikita Krushchev
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 84
Location: Detroit, Michigan - The Home of Rock and Roll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry David Thoreau had some interesting ideas on vegetarianism. He lauded the benefits of a vegetarian diet and considered someone who was able to maintain a vegetarian diet as morally superior because he had a greater level of self restraint.

I think of it in the same sense as an addiction. Take tobacco for example. Some people, myself included enjoy a cigar annually or a couple times a year, but are able to chose when we have it. Most people who smoke or chew tobacco, however, are dependent on the nicotine and must smoke a certain number of times per day or their body shuts down.
_________________
Freedom is the oxygen of the soul. -Moshe Dayan

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

The way I reconcile that is by reminding myself how many of our ancestors have been the victims of predatory animals, that my fucking cat would probably eat me if he could, and that ultimately all of us are eaten by animals anyway (those of us not cremated anyway).


do you really take your moral cues from animals?

In some ways, yes. Unlike what you imagine the Flying Spaghetti Monster to be telling you, we are in fact animals. More to the point, however, I do not always act perfectly in line with my moral principles. If I did, I probably wouldn't eat mammals.

The idea that you are doing less harm by being vegetetarian is rather specious, though. I think you are smart enough to realize that. Bambi and friends had a good thing going until you plowed under their forest to make a soybean field. The best way you can minimize the harm you're doing would be to have no children, and you already fucked that one up.

++
It is a well known fact that hunters (not poachers, mind you) in general do far more work and invest far more into preserving natural habitats than Greenpeace and other hipsters.
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

The way I reconcile that is by reminding myself how many of our ancestors have been the victims of predatory animals, that my fucking cat would probably eat me if he could, and that ultimately all of us are eaten by animals anyway (those of us not cremated anyway).


do you really take your moral cues from animals?

In some ways, yes. Unlike what you imagine the Flying Spaghetti Monster to be telling you, we are in fact animals. More to the point, however, I do not always act perfectly in line with my moral principles. If I did, I probably wouldn't eat mammals.

The idea that you are doing less harm by being vegetetarian is rather specious, though. I think you are smart enough to realize that. Bambi and friends had a good thing going until you plowed under their forest to make a soybean field. The best way you can minimize the harm you're doing would be to have no children, and you already fucked that one up.

++
It is a well known fact that hunters (not poachers, mind you) in general do far more work and invest far more into preserving natural habitats than Greenpeace and other hipsters.


hunters have driven more species to extinction than any other human activity.
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prenj
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

The way I reconcile that is by reminding myself how many of our ancestors have been the victims of predatory animals, that my fucking cat would probably eat me if he could, and that ultimately all of us are eaten by animals anyway (those of us not cremated anyway).


do you really take your moral cues from animals?

In some ways, yes. Unlike what you imagine the Flying Spaghetti Monster to be telling you, we are in fact animals. More to the point, however, I do not always act perfectly in line with my moral principles. If I did, I probably wouldn't eat mammals.

The idea that you are doing less harm by being vegetetarian is rather specious, though. I think you are smart enough to realize that. Bambi and friends had a good thing going until you plowed under their forest to make a soybean field. The best way you can minimize the harm you're doing would be to have no children, and you already fucked that one up.

++
It is a well known fact that hunters (not poachers, mind you) in general do far more work and invest far more into preserving natural habitats than Greenpeace and other hipsters.


hunters have driven more species to extinction than any other human activity.

You mean agriculture and deforestation?
_________________
“If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prenj wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
Prenj wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

The way I reconcile that is by reminding myself how many of our ancestors have been the victims of predatory animals, that my fucking cat would probably eat me if he could, and that ultimately all of us are eaten by animals anyway (those of us not cremated anyway).


do you really take your moral cues from animals?

In some ways, yes. Unlike what you imagine the Flying Spaghetti Monster to be telling you, we are in fact animals. More to the point, however, I do not always act perfectly in line with my moral principles. If I did, I probably wouldn't eat mammals.

The idea that you are doing less harm by being vegetetarian is rather specious, though. I think you are smart enough to realize that. Bambi and friends had a good thing going until you plowed under their forest to make a soybean field. The best way you can minimize the harm you're doing would be to have no children, and you already fucked that one up.

++
It is a well known fact that hunters (not poachers, mind you) in general do far more work and invest far more into preserving natural habitats than Greenpeace and other hipsters.


hunters have driven more species to extinction than any other human activity.

You mean agriculture and deforestation?


yes
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ratmonkey
n00b
n00b


Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Militant veggies/vegans = fucking annoying = "Meat eaters" who can't hear the mention of a veg diet without making tired cliched jokes about veggies.

I have a particular disdain for militant vegans. There's little, if any, good to be said about them. But I also can't stand the dumbasses who have to go into attack mode whenever they find out someone doesn't eat meat.

I've seen this happen so many times. Someone admits that they follow a vegetarian or vegan diet without being annoying or overbearing (i.e. it's just their personal choice, or was a result of the cultural upbringing), and then some douche-hole immediately has to pull out all the cliches and start attacking the veggie with an annoying, overbearing, vengeance. They try to denigrate them or get into an argument about why the person has made this personal choice about their diet, like it fucking matters to anyone. Then from that point forward, said douche-holes have to bring it up anytime the topic of food is mentioned and the veggie is anywhere within hearing distance.
_________________
dmitchell wrote:
Note: I am also a tax feeder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2027
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratmonkey wrote:
Militant veggies/vegans = fucking annoying = "Meat eaters" who can't hear the mention of a veg diet without making tired cliched jokes about veggies.

I have a particular disdain for militant vegans. There's little, if any, good to be said about them. But I also can't stand the dumbasses who have to go into attack mode whenever they find out someone doesn't eat meat.

I've seen this happen so many times. Someone admits that they follow a vegetarian or vegan diet without being annoying or overbearing (i.e. it's just their personal choice, or was a result of the cultural upbringing), and then some douche-hole immediately has to pull out all the cliches and start attacking the veggie with an annoying, overbearing, vengeance. They try to denigrate them or get into an argument about why the person has made this personal choice about their diet, like it fucking matters to anyone. Then from that point forward, said douche-holes have to bring it up anytime the topic of food is mentioned and the veggie is anywhere within hearing distance.


Question: if you try to have lunch with a group.
Who is going to create trouble finding a spot?
The veggie
or
The meat eater
?

Just because of his CHOICE everybody else has to bend over - and you have a problem with meat eaters who have suffered through this countless times because they make fun of veggies?
_________________
AidanJT wrote:

Libertardian denial of reality is wholly unimpressive and unconvincing, and simply serves to demonstrate what a bunch of delusional fools they all are.

Satan's got perfectly toned abs and rocks a c-cup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum