Who needs the NSA when we have facebook
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Who needs the NSA when we have facebook Reply with quote

http://www.vyralize.com/2801/symantec-discovers-phonebook-leak-in-facebook-for-android-app/

Quote:
After launching an updated version of Norton Mobile Security, Symantec noted that among a huge list of apps secretly uploading private data to app developers’ servers, Facebook was identified as one of those pulling contact information from users’ address books and then secretly uploading them to Facebook’s servers.

What’s worse about the whole situation is that users who installed the app but never logged in with an account also suffered the same fate.

Facebook has since said that what occurred was actually an error in the app and that it should have never happened in the first place. They also said that all contact information was deleted from their servers, and will be fixing the problem via the app’s next update.

With hundreds of millions of users already installing the app, Symantec says that a significant portion of those are at risk or have already been affected by the flaw.
What the fuck.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't install apps that require access to anything more than network. The other day, one of my colleagues was wanting to install a keyboard app and we saw it requested permission for accessing phone calls, the microphone, GPS location and contacts among other things.

Why should a keyboard app need such elevated levels of access?

Besides, your contact list is already available with Google. Especially with the new Hangout app.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is evil.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Facebook is evil.

Only for people who are casual with their information. I think it's amazing what people will post on their Facebook page that they probably wouldn't tell their closest relatives or friends.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Facebook is evil.

Only for people who are casual with their information. I think it's amazing what people will post on their Facebook page that they probably wouldn't tell their closest relatives or friends.

True, however BK's point still stands.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Facebook is evil.

Yeah, since they maintain their service itself isn't evil. It's the third party developers that are evil I suppose. Cue the law suits for loss of dignity by 14 year old girls plastering their Facebook with early bloomer pictures that end up on the school noticeboard.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
Muso wrote:
sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
Facebook is evil.

Yeah, since they maintain their service itself isn't evil. It's the third party developers that are evil I suppose. Cue the law suits for loss of dignity by 14 year old girls plastering their Facebook with early bloomer pictures that end up on the school noticeboard.

No, his point still stands because their PR is bullshit and they do leak everything to the NSA. The dufus running FB is an Obama supporter ffs.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are trying to destroy privacy.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Facebook is evil NSA progeny, while Google is all good, do no evil. We must all express shock and outrage on how Facebook app, a social networking site, is collecting your contact list. While the platform(s) it is running on, are locked down and are staunchly protecting our privacy.

Recall, Google has explicitly stated, they don't have any device that would let US government pull data out of their servers. This itself is proof, that shows how well our privacy is guarded by Google. In-fact, there's no company in the world that goes to such lengths to protect our privacy.

Facebook is the real evil here.

Last edited by notageek on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what is fgo's policy on a governmental search requests?
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I would say them, like google (and their g+), are trying to destroy anonymity. There are strong arguments especially with the pseudo-anonymity people perceive they have they act like dicks.

The problem is they haven't figured out a way to destroy anonymity without deep penetration into privacy
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
I would say them, like google (and their g+), are trying to destroy anonymity. There are strong arguments especially with the pseudo-anonymity people perceive they have they act like dicks.

The problem is they haven't figured out a way to destroy anonymity without deep penetration into privacy

Good point. Destruction of anonymity is a big part of it as well. We'll eventually have anonymity (which is currently optionally achievable by power users) taken away from us at the hardware level.
LoTeK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, Facebook is evil NSA progeny, while Google is all good, do no evil. We must all express shock and outrage on how Facebook app, a social networking site, is collecting your contact list. While the platform(s) it is running on, are locked down and are staunchly protecting our privacy.

Recall, Google has explicitly stated, they don't have any device that would let US government pull data out of their servers. This itself is proof, that shows how well our privacy is guarded by Google. In-fact, there's no company in the world that goes to such lengths to protect our privacy.

lol, but at least google does something good. I mean, what do you do when you have a problem? you ask google (better duckduckgo, but I guess it was sabotaged by google and now it's a pretty bad search engine). android is maybe pretty fucked up too, but probably still way better than M$ or apple.

facebook on the other hand is just a poor product, trying to achieve the satisfaction of people to connect to other people. then you have all those people that post their funny pictures on which they are soooo happy. the facebook world is probably the worst manifestation of an artificial (in the negative sense), pseudo - shiny nightmare.

google is evil, but helps solving problems (I guess I wouldn't have a running gentoo system without google).
the NSA is evil, but they build cool U-boots and dive with them to access communication wires. They build cool computers and probably even use linux. maybe a huge amount of technical devices exists because the NSA wanted it, or do you thought space shuttles positioned only weather satellites in space? moreover the NSA is the biggest employer for mathematicians in the world, they even have a section for mathematical research (afaik).

but facebook? fuckerzerg? seriously... I've heard that people even pay for fake holiday photos :lol:
facebook is a lot worse than alcohol in the sense that it supports the outcome of the most ridiculous and poor attributes of mankind.

edit: If anyone talked about those NSA stuff three months ago, everyone would have said: meh meh, you are paranoid, you popped to many LSD pills, meh meh. And know suddenly because snowden told some media guys about it, the whole world is outraged. Sometimes I think those stupid idiots deserves it to be monitored.
"I want to see gamma rays! I want to hear X-rays! Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly because I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid limiting spoken language!"
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoTeK wrote:
Quote:

lol, but at least google does something good. I mean, what do you do when you have a problem? you ask google (better duckduckgo, but I guess it was sabotaged by google and now it's a pretty bad search engine). android is maybe pretty fucked up too, but probably still way better than M$ or apple.

facebook on the other hand is just a poor product, trying to achieve the satisfaction of people to connect to other people. then you have all those people that post their funny pictures on which they are soooo happy. the facebook world is probably the worst manifestation of an artificial (in the negative sense), pseudo - shiny nightmare.

google is evil, but helps solving problems (I guess I wouldn't have a running gentoo system without google).
the NSA is evil, but they build cool U-boots and dive with them to access communication wires. They build cool computers and probably even use linux. maybe a huge amount of technical devices exists because the NSA wanted it, or do you thought space shuttles positioned only weather satellites in space? moreover the NSA is the biggest employer for mathematicians in the world, they even have a section for mathematical research (afaik).

but facebook? fuckerzerg? seriously... I've heard that people even pay for fake holiday photos :lol:
facebook is a lot worse than alcohol in the sense that it supports the outcome of the most ridiculous and poor attributes of mankind.

edit: If anyone talked about those NSA stuff three months ago, everyone would have said: meh meh, you are paranoid, you popped to many LSD pills, meh meh. And know suddenly because snowden told some media guys about it, the whole world is outraged. Sometimes I think those stupid idiots deserves it to be monitored.
I considered something like Prism to be a given when they passed the Patriot Act. I really didn't find all this to be news, rather I view this whole thing as confirmation of what I had already figured was probably going on.

The worst thing about this Facebook thing is that you didn't even need to have an account to have your phone book uploaded. Ironically it isn't the NSA that blatantly tried to put a telescreen on the market, it was Microsoft, it's your potential employers that had the gall to "ask" for your social media account passwords so that they could review them, or recruiters that want you to add them to your linkedin profile etc.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: