Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Too Long for the Reporting Thread
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Too Long for the Reporting Thread Reply with quote

Topic: [Solved] ffmpeg tries to pull libav - but they're mutually..
Post: post 7331182
Reason: This is a confused response towards my support (see my first post in the thread) and voluntary explanation and teaching (any subsequent post) of decisions taken by other Gentoo Developers; this post (and some others in the thread) confuses me for said Gentoo Developers, therefore pointing at me for no good reason. I don't see this topic going anywhere useful, the necessary explanation has been done; feel free to intervene as these unwanted / off-topic arguments are not likely to yield anything constructive. Please leave the actual content intact; such that I can use this to request proper documentation and / or a news item, by the time the version in question gets unmasked and released to the masses.

Regardless of the merits, moving to its own thread as the reporting thread is for reporting, not protracted discussion. — JRG

Edit: Removed any reference to the user to avoid misinterpretation, which this is not about; it is about the thread.


Last edited by TomWij on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: Ant P.
Topic: [Solved] ffmpeg tries to pull libav - but they're mutually..
Post: post 7319852
Post: post 7320520
Post: post 7331254
Post: post 7331782
Reason: Unnecessary.


Last edited by TomWij on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 1150

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: libav - ffmpeg Reply with quote

Obviously there are Gentoo maintainers who are at the same time libav developers. The situation for Debian is the same or worse. Now Gentoo users got suspicious and more and more angry about this helter skelter.

The newly elected Gentoo board has to issue a new policy to not allow sided maintainers decide on virtual packages.
_________________
fun2gen2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: libav - ffmpeg Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
Now Gentoo users got suspicious and more and more angry about this helter skelter. The newly elected Gentoo board has to issue a new policy to not allow sided maintainers decide on virtual packages.


Thank you; if you sincerely think so, feel free to raise this matter to the Council in the future but I don't think we should raise this until it will becomes a real problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 1150

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to object you. But I think this issue goes deeper. Why would otherwise be so many good people involved?

By the way: Why can't you just say:
I feel unrespectfully treated. I would like to answer some facts, but this would go flamewar.

Do you realy think such long pamphlets of navar are read by any one else?
_________________
fun2gen2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
I didn't want to object you. But I think this issue goes deeper. Why would otherwise be so many good people involved? By the way: Why can't you just say: I feel unrespectfully treated. I would like to answer some facts, but this would go flamewar.


You did not object me, don't worry. I'm in the nature of responding to full posts, as a matter of respect and having showed I read it in its entirety. But there is point, like now, where people just need to stop talking...

ulenrich wrote:
Do you realy think such long pamphlets of navar are read by any one else?


This is the internet, an undefined amount of people will read every word you say; on the other hand, there is so much data that it may barely get read; on yet another hand, we have search engines so people will find it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 1150

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imaging:
If a google searching guy finds a pamphlet like this as a last word he will get curious. If he is realy interested in the issue he fortunately will find your post of another thread later based on facts. I urge you: Don't mind letting trolls have the last word of a thread. It doesn't matter in the long run!
Instead write more of your good posts in good threads!
_________________
fun2gen2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good posts are those that learn people something. No matter the person I reply to, it does matter for someone in the long run; whether that person be me, the other person or any future readers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Navar
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Posts: 271

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, so much for taking the higher ground.

Trite, tiresome and childish both of you. Everyone has different definitions of trolls nowadays, particularly here with anyone who disagrees with some. Here you choose to goad, because appearently you respecting the purpose of this thread doesn't matter to you versus your real intentions. Perhaps you feel with your pseudo authority that the moderators are in your back pocket.

Noting some examples (thankfully few but enough to be disconcerting) I've seen in the recent past and actions taken by a few in control here, that may just be the case. I fail to discern why I should continue to care. And hey, if that's your ideal for these forums, my mistake.

Ulenrich, here's a rag. Wipe your nose.

TomWij wrote:
Good posts are those that learn people something.


Posts don't learn, but sometimes people do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Location: Central Coast, NSW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, is this the place for a love-in? Get a room guys :P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic: [Solved] ffmpeg tries to pull libav - but they're mutually..
Post: post 7332954
Reason: This is yet another misunderstanding about me, I would like this discussion to end because it benefits nobody; feel free to intervene.

Edit: Removed any reference to the user to avoid misinterpretation, which this is not about; it is about the thread.


Last edited by TomWij on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomWij
Developer
Developer


Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 1551

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navar wrote:
Well then, so much for taking the higher ground.

Trite, tiresome and childish both of you.


This is not an useful contribution to this thread, please follow the forum guidelines.

Navar wrote:
Everyone has different definitions of trolls nowadays


It's defined in the Gentoo CoC

Navar wrote:
particularly here with anyone who disagrees with some.


That's not a reason as per the Gentoo CoC, nor did I ever use or intent it as such; I do not see what you refer to.

Navar wrote:
Here you choose to goad, because appearently you respecting the purpose of this thread doesn't matter to you versus your real intentions. Perhaps you feel with your pseudo authority that the moderators are in your back pocket.


I post here merely to make that discussion stop, please stop making further assumptions.

Navar wrote:
Noting some examples (thankfully few but enough to be disconcerting) I've seen in the recent past and actions taken by a few in control here, that may just be the case.


Moderators do what is good for the forum and for Gentoo as a whole; they won't side for a particular group, just like I won't side for a particular piece of software in that thread.

Navar wrote:
I fail to discern why I should continue to care.


If it matters, there may be a reason for that.

Navar wrote:
And hey, if that's your ideal for these forums, my mistake.


How many more times are you going to spell me the words? Please stop doing that.

Navar wrote:
Posts don't learn, but sometimes people do.


They do, but some people don't learn from them; in this case, we don't learn from each others posts.

As essentialy a continuation of the originally reported thread's argument, this thread also is too long, too off topic, and too argumentative to be allowed to be bumped to the top of the search results by continuation. So, locked to allow the slow process of necrotization to continue. − JRG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum