x86 vs. AMD64 with 2 GB memory
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldJonYoung
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: x86 vs. AMD64 with 2 GB memory Reply with quote

Somewhat subjective question but I'm having trouble deciding. 2 GB was more than enough for Windows XP 32-bit but it's low nowadays on 64-bit. (I'd be willing to upgrade memory if it's worthwhile.) My desktop is Intel 3.33GHz Core2 with onboard Intel video and I have a laptop with a 32-bit 1.6GHz CoreDuo also with onboard Intel video and only 512 MB memory. It'd be faster to do all the compiling on the desktop and/or share /usr with the laptop. I guess I could even set up the laptop as a thin client to the desktop since I never carry it around. I'm thinking maybe a dual boot setup? (Sorry if this is too vague.)
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using a Athlon64 with 512MB of ram running 64bit Gentoo just fine not to long ago. I'm sure 2GB will be plenty.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: x86 vs. AMD64 with 2 GB memory Reply with quote

OldJonYoung wrote:
2 GB was more than enough for Windows XP 32-bit but it's low nowadays on 64-bit.

The transition x86->amd64 does not really make such a big difference in memory as is claimed by the x32 guys. It is only about 10% for typical applications.
I have almost the same setting: Core2 with 2GB and a slow laptop with 512 MB. I had decided that it is a good idea to have a 32 bit chroot for some proprietary programs, and I compile this for the processor of the laptop with FEATURES=buildpkg, installing on the laptop only these binary packages which I get there with rsync+ssh (I want to avoid nfs for security reasons).
OldJonYoung
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The transition x86->amd64 does not really make such a big difference in memory as is claimed by the x32 guys.

If you're referring to the x32 ABI I actually considered this.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=139684
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldJonYoung wrote:
Quote:
The transition x86->amd64 does not really make such a big difference in memory as is claimed by the x32 guys.

If you're referring to the x32 ABI I actually considered this.

Read particularly (referred on the page you have given): flameyes blog about x32.
Note that in the worst case (which is impossible to achieve in practice) you gain the factor 2 in memory; in practice it should be much less. As I said, my guess is that you save about 10% - at the price of lots of trouble (and the inability to access huge data structures for the few cases where you really might have to). It is not worth the work in a situation like yours. (For embedded systems, 10% memory might just make a difference in some corner cases).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: