My First Gentoo Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
estebanrules
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: My First Gentoo Install Reply with quote

I'm happy to say that after a fairly long but relatively smooth process, I have Gentoo up and running with Gnome and so far so good. I just wanted to thank the community members who participated in writing the handbook, it is extremely detailed and informative.

With the exception of a few hiccups when configuring networking (ethernet was not eth0, but rather enp2s0, which I'm used to from Arch installs so no problem there) and a few issues with the nVidia modules all went well. I have been dual-booting Debian / Arch Linux for years now, and I decided to install Gentoo on it's own disk. I'm loving it so far, of course I'll have some questions along the way but it seems like an awesomely powerful distro that also really forces you to learn a TON about the underlying structure of the Linux kernel / system.

I think Gentoo might be my new favorite distro!

p.s. - I think the majority of users who have issues installing Gentoo for the first time don't spend enough time reading the handbook. I read a good portion of the handbook before I started my install and it made everything so much easier.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

touch /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules

and its back to net.eth0 8O

i had drawn up a wiki to make it easier to install, and have youtube, irc, firefox, pidgin,and network manager to "foot in the door" install gentoo. (even in wifi only situations, that i had found myself in) found here https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Alternate_Install
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@estebanrules

Welcome to Gentoo! I hope you find your experience to be rewarding.

@666threesixes666

1) He hasn't complained about the name change, just commented that it wasn't in the handbook.
2) That is deprecated. You shouldn't advise people to use it.

EDIT: Your wiki is out of date or awkward in several locations. First, portage isn't downloaded as a tarball anymore and second why would you download a stage3 to ram and copy to your hard drive? Firefox supports changing the save location.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
swathe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My First Gentoo Install Reply with quote

estebanrules wrote:
..snip...

It always makes me happy to see more people coming to Gentoo. I'm not much of a gristled veteran but I am yet to find another distro that I like as much.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
First, portage isn't downloaded as a tarball anymore

Has that changed recently? I've always used the tar.xz method when I don't have a LAN mirror available to save bandwidth.
estebanrules
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind welcome folks.

Concerning the stage 3 tarball, it was indeed a tarball when I downloaded it ;)

Today I'm going to switch things over to the "unstable branch" and get Gnome 3, etc. up and running.

I think I may also have to re-compile my kernel with some extra options that I overlooked upon first compile; Where in the handbook does it have specific instructions for re-compiling a kernel on an existing system?

EDIT: One more question. My processor is an i3 sandy bridge, I currently have my CFLAGS set to i686. Is this optimal?

Thanks folks.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to recompile your kernel with modified options, you could probably just run 'make menuconfig', change your options' run 'make' and 'make modules install', then copy it over your previous kernel. If I change a lot, I copy /usr/src/linux/.config elsewhere, run 'make clean' and 'make mrproper', copy .config back, then modify and rebuild it.

Googling 'Gentoo cflags' found http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CFLAGS and http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Safe_CFLAGS. You could also try searching for 'Gentoo i3 cflags'. No, i686 is not optimal because... um... your C.P.U. is recent 64-bit one, and the 686 is a very not-recent not-64-bit one. You can read all about the dangers of running unoptimized software at http://funroll-loops.info/.
666threesixes666
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st your "kernel compilation" is really a "recompile." the wiki has the goods you are looking for. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel

as previous poster said, its as easy as cd /usr/src/linux-3.9.4, as root make clean && make distclean && make mrproper..... mount /boot & cp /boot/config-3.9.4 /usr/src/linux/.config make menuconfig, tweak what ever you forgot (no need to do everything over if copying over previous builds setup .config file) make && make modules_install && make install

then loading up grub / grub2 / lilo / syslinux with your updated image, then rebooting into the new kernel with more options tweaked. after building 9,600 times you'll remember the commands and order of commands.
estebanrules
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the tips folks.

I spent the last few days tinkering with Gentoo and have a pretty nice desktop setup with XFCE (minimal stuff) and slim DM.

I was also able to get my nVidia card working with no trouble.

Now I think I will recompile the kernel after doing some research on what the best options for my cpu and other hardware would be.

The reason I chose 686 for the cpu is because the handbook recommended it for a "when in doubt" scenario, and I was most concerned during my first install on getting Gentoo up and running.

Forgive my newbie questions, but after I recompile the kernel, I should recompile the entire system, no? I have to do some more research into portage and figure out all the different flags, etc.

Thank you kindly.
fr3eatlast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ estenbanrules

There isn't really any reason for you to recompile your entire system. The only reason I would recompile your entire system is if you were upgrading your compiler to take advantage of features not previously offered, as is usually only the case with extremely new hardware, such as CPUs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: