Installing Gentoo At Aufs / Squashfs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Installing Gentoo At Aufs / Squashfs Reply with quote

I have a free partition at hard drive so I decided to put another one Gentoo here.
I would like to put it entirely into aufs/squashfs. I have searched google but found only few incomplete info. Gentoo wiki also knows nothing about aufs.
Can anyone enlighten me where should I start from? Any articles, blogs, howtos?
Thanks in advance.
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: aufs + squashfs Reply with quote

Hi creaker,

I am trying to do the same, my understanding is that you'll need to modify the linuxrc or initrd to mount aufs. Here is the aufs hook in ArchLinux which I utilize on my Arch images:
https://github.com/fandrieu/archlinux-aur/blob/master/mkinitcpio-rootaufs/rootaufs_hook

Arch has a very good hook system for building initramfs - I am still learning where to nicely modify the same in gentoo. If you come across that, let me know. I am guessing it'll be under /usr/share/genkernel.

Walter
o5gmmob8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: aufs + squashfs Reply with quote

Hi creaker,

After poking around more ... Here is what I found, not sure if this is true or not, I need to reboot to find out.

Check:
/usr/share/genkernel/defaults/linuxrc

If you look closely, it appears to already support aufs, you simply need to add it to the kernel commandline. It doesn't appear to have as many options as the ArchLinux one; however, I'd imagine you simply need to tweak those scripts and rebuild an initramfs. This should be documented somewhere as it would be very useful.

Walter
creaker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, walterw
thanks for reply!
I'm not so experienced with hooks (especially regarding Arch hooks) and I think I can't start successfully with it. Need something more detailed and well described.
I found a mini howto here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-646289.html
but it looks a bit outdated. I'm stuck at "Step 8" because /sbin/rc is binary file and I have no idea on how this file may be modified. Maybe in past (on 2008) it was a script and it could simply be edited.

So I still looking for any tutor.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: