View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mekoryuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Game you HATE the most! Reply with quote

This might have been done a while ago, but I'm sure there've been some games that have popped up since then to garner the ire of Gentoonians. :D

So, what game do you hate the most? Try and keep it civil, and perhaps go a little more into your opinions other than "It sucks!"

For me? Maybe not a whole game per-se, but that damned mod Counter-Strike really needs to just roll over and die. Repetitive, boring play in poorly-designed levels, game mechanics tweaked now to the point where it's a "professional gaming" humdrum, a giant jerk magnet drawing in all the immature twerps who'd otherwise be watching Jim Carrey movies and setting their little sister's hair on fire, and all the other players who actually take this mod seriously. I HATE IT! HATE IT ALL! :evil:

*coughs* Um, thank you. Next?
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate CS too. Me and my friends played that game to death a few years ago and now I can't believe it's still alive. It was the game that popularized the tactical pseudo-realistic FPS genre, but now it's really crappy (in terms of both gameplay and graphics) compared to some of the more recent games of the genre. Now it's pretty much a haven of immature kiddies and cheaters. Oh yeah and Steam is annoying. Not to mention the dickheads at Valve are completely ignoring the Linux and Mac community by not releasing any non-Windows client, despite the huge demand (and don't get started on HL2...)

And yes, I hate that "professionnal gaming" thing too. That's just... dumb. Nowadays we live in a world where people take videogames way too seriously. It's supposed to be a goddamn game you morons! You know, something you play for FUN. I just can't stand playing a FPS with someone who too serious about it, it's just no fun.

Last edited by IntergalacticWalrus on Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
slarti`
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! You said it all! :)

I really don't like half life players in general. The original game was ok, but.. jees..

In fact, most UT2003 players are absolute wieners too.. I didn't particularly like that game much, but the Red Orchestra mod is great and a rather better community. I like the engine itself, although the original UT beats it for gameplay and feel.

I hate PlanetSide. I got a free 7 days with a PCGAMER DVD, I found it to be less then fun, buggy as hell, and repitive as anything too.

By the way, if you want to know what a real gaming community should be like, wait for OFP2 ;) The original OFP community was solid as a rock, and was really quite cool. It was one of those everyone knows everyone style communities. Heres to hoping for a Linux client for OFP2, which is definately possible as it is built on OFP1 engine, which supported both OpenAL and OpenGL, along with standard connection multiplayer, and had such horribly buggy DirectPlay support that wiped whole partitions if you created a server after just having played ;) Unfortunately though, the OFP1 community is at the end of its lifespan...
Drewgrange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think UT2003 sucks horribly compared to the original UT. I still play the original instead of it.
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drewgrange wrote:
I think UT2003 sucks horribly compared to the original UT. I still play the original instead of it.

Ditto.

It just not feels like you're in a tournament battling for fame anymore. It doesn't feel as fast and brutal as it once was. And the old weapons just look cooler, exceptions made for the ASMD and the Sniper Rifle.

I want my dual Enforcers back...
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in too. UT2003 has worse gameplay and the graphics, while having higher polygon counts, look bland compared to good ol' UT. And why the hell did they remove Domination?! That new mode with the ball (can't remember the name) looks fun at first, but quickly ends up in mindless, boring carnage since all the action always take place in one single spot (where the ball is). And the fact that they toned down the rocket launcher (my fav weapon) as much as they could get away with it (3 rockets loaded max, longer homing delay, no grenade alt-fire, only 20 rockets carriable) was what truly killed UT2003 for me.
Drewgrange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, domination was my favorite mode.

I have a feeling UT2004 won't be any better. Hopefully I'm wrong.
neenee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. i haven't really played any games i hated
over the years; to me, hatred is just too strong
a feeling to label anything with. true, i might not
like some gaming communities and i might have my
dislike for some players here and there, but that's
as close as it gets to actually 'hating' a game.
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think UT2004 will be better, since it will probably stay more in theme with the original. When you think about it, UT2003 was actually a PC port of the XBox game Unreal Championship. UT2004, on the other hand, will be actually made more for the PC in mind (I think).
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and have useable vehicles

games i hate? things like SimCity, the Sims, all those boring games, games in the style or warcraft 3, just boring .

UT2003 is fun :-), although the original UT is better for low hardware in college :-)
Mongrol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarWars Galaxies. A game that coulda promised so much but is yet another ultimate example of all thats wrong with Capitalism. A great ethos wasted. I believe its also put the final nail in the MMORPG coffin. These things cost far too much to make so no publisher is ever going to take a chance on something new.

UO started it and AC1 finished it. Everything since is just rehashed level mill crap for mindless drones that live on telly, Macdonalds and Friends.
DoktorSeven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm alone in this, I know, but I can't stand Enemy Territory. Something about the feel of it and the fact that there's no way to instantly tell friend from foe (as far as I can tell -- and I mean like UT's way, one team's red and one's blue. I think an ID comes up if you aim at them, but by then it's too late if they know you're a foe..).

I've tried many times only to quit in mid-battle in complete frustration and bewilderment...
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lord, this one is a no brainer for me.

Yup, definitely Rambo 3 on my ZX 48k (Spectrum you dumbass!) which I highly anticipated after much enjoying Rambo 2. I think I was 8 at the time... I remember seeing it on the store shelf, nagging my parent until it was in my hands (ah, the days of games for a quid - or a buck for the Americans).

All that excitement. And the first 7 minute wait of agonising DERRRR EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPP DERR EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPP!!!!!! And... back to the basic prompt.

Try again... and again... AND AGAIN!!!

There were waterworks that night. And the night after. God bless that little spectrum, it took a (literal) beating and came back for more - the keys would just pop back on after you kicked them out.

In fact, I think I'm gonna end this story here as I am starting to feel *sniff* emotional.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Daganoth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in two games which are an afront to all that is right and moral in this world. First, Everquest. I probably need a third hand to count the number of friends who were lost for a couple of years by that game. And its not like they had level 50 characters who were raiding the primal plans of my ass. No, instead they spent waking hours of the night building level 30 characters and starting over. Damn power gamers.

Speaking of power games. Diablo and Diablo II. Jesus, these games were good for the first few weeks, or for a few lans. But then you got into doopin', PKin', and general power gaming. Man, even when starting with a party just to go through the game from begining to end, someone starts with a level 1 character, once they turn level 32, out comes the uber crap. Play the freakin' game! Maybe I'll play the game once through without using enchanted crap so I don't forget that it is actually a decent game.

Finally, another vote for The Sims. While I do like Simcity, Civilization and their ilk, I cannot express how horrid this series is. Seriously. Its not that it is boring, not that the idea is stupid. In fact, I like the game. However, ever month there is a new expansion pack that has shit loads of the dumbest, most obsurd crap I have ever seen. What's the new one? Magic? After the second expansion came out, I gave up. Thirty bucks for bad customes or a lava lamp is just not worth it.

That felt good, I think I'm gonna go rant about some other junk.

Cheers!
velvetunderground
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original prince of persia... sands of time is the shit though
CDLM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter-Strike and Warcraft 3
give me original UT and Starcraft anyday :D
Lisandro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argentum Online. I imagine no one of you guys have heard of this one; it's a MMORPG written in Visual Basic with the ugliest graphics and sound you've witnessed, and the *ugliest gameplay* ever to be implemented in a game. I hate most MMORPG because of the same issue, but this game redefines the term.
Yet somehow it become INMENSLY popular here in Argentina, which goes to show how stupid people can be. Not only that, it's a bandwidth hog like no other...

Other than that, i have to agree with CounterStrike. All the "professional gamer" and "elite" comunity that spawned arround it gets way too much to my nerves. Incidentally, the game is fun, and i used to play it a lot when it first appeared, but it got old and repetitive too quickly. The new CS (1.6) is shit too, and mainly because of the Steam crap that Valve is trying to sell to their audience.
Red Nalie
Guru
Guru

Location: Den Helder - The Netherlands - Europe - Earth - Milky Way - Universe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black & White *shiver*

i'm a little n00bie short and stout, here is my nickname here is my SHOUT!!!1 when i get all flamed up hear me SHOUT!!1 ban me forever, kick me out
PovMan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. I hate CS. there's about as much skill in that game as there is in rolling dice.
Also i don't like halo as it is very boring, i played it at a lan once and nearly fell asleep. Walk around, shoot people and if you are within 5m you might hit them, then when you die you wait 20 seconds before spawning again.
edit: also the movement is ridiculously slow.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Nalie wrote:
Black & White *shiver*

What!? That was a fucking good game once you got into it.

Although I hated the introduction/tutorial which you just couldn't skip and too almost an hour to get through. It made starting new games hell.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
JOS654
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate the SIMS and every expansion
NME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisandro wrote:
Argentum Online. I imagine no one of you guys have heard of this one; it's a MMORPG written in Visual Basic with the ugliest graphics and sound you've witnessed, and the *ugliest gameplay* ever to be implemented in a game. I hate most MMORPG because of the same issue, but this game redefines the term.
Yet somehow it become INMENSLY popular here in Argentina, which goes to show how stupid people can be. Not only that, it's a bandwidth hog like no other...
[...]

by god, a game in VB 8O
this kind of crap should probably be made illegal
ToucanMan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age of Empires 2!!! I know this game has its fans and that some will die for the game. BUT, when your roomate plays it for 2 weeks straight at 3 in morning and all you can hear blasting from his room is "FORGEROR" you start to hate that game.

HATE HATE HATE!
Malek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total Recall for the NES. No explanation, if you've played it -- you know what I'm talking about.
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate games like Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: