Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge -u world.... is reboot needed?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: emerge -u world.... is reboot needed? Reply with quote

After upgrading packages on my system, do I need to reboot for the changes to take affect?

I noticed that if I am running say apache, and then upgrade apache while it is running, emerge doesn't restart apache.

Does this mean I need to start and stop services myself for the new verision to be used?

What about other programs/packages that are upgraded while they are running?

-Todd
Vanquirius
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I believe that you have to restart every updated program for the upgrade to take effect, as opposed to the whole system (except for the kernel). There shouldn't be major issues w/upgrading programs while they're running, although it might be a good idea to shut them off before updating them, just in case. Not 100% sure about my statements though.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to reboot unless you are changing either the kernel or the init program, which is part of baselayout.

You may need to manually stop and restart services for upgrades to take effect, as you have noted.

The worst thing I can think of that could happen as a result of upgrading packages while they are running is that shared libraries may change out from under running programs, which could cause the running programs to crash. Portage's dependency mechanism should largely shield you from this, and it would be quite a rare occurrence in any case.
TFo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, that is not quite the assurance I was looking for. Shouldn't emerge handle this for me?

I was thinking of making a script to update my system and mail me a log but I'm worried if I do an update and a service doesn't get restarted then it's not really upgraded.

-Todd
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFo wrote:
Hmmm, that is not quite the assurance I was looking for. Shouldn't emerge handle this for me?

How? It's trickier than you might think. For example, lots of times new ebuilds cause changed configuration files in /etc. There are several ways to make the modifications to the configuration files, and Portage doesn't lock you into any particular way to do it or schedule to do it.

Blindly restarting services might make them not start due to deprecated config file entries before you have a chance to fix the config files.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: