View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silent_Walker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Installing E17 on fresh Gentoo install [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hello Gentoo Forums, today I finally got around to installing a near fully functional install. The only thing that won't work for me is downloading E17. One of the wiki's say to run
emerge --ask enlightenment:0.17 and that shows that I need to add lots of programs to the use area, however I don't know what to put in the use flag area.

Last edited by silent_Walker on Wed May 29, 2013 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
white_tiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing E17 on fresh Gentoo with legacy nvidia driver Reply with quote

Allot?

All I have to got E17 running are

icu alsa pulseaudio caps gdbm glib orc nvidia X opengl opencl tiff jpeg png mp3 mp4 mpeg avi ogg
polkit consolekit dbus udev truetype unicode usb cups
-gtk -gtk3 -qt -qt4 -kde -gnome

Not allot as far as I see.

Last edited by white_tiger on Thu May 23, 2013 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ OP you can show us using emerge -pv enlightenment:0.17 | wgetpaste since the pretend flag does not expect any user input, this should do fine. Second, why specifying a slot? Unless you have a specific reason, it may be better to drop it.

A comment about using variables to sort your use flags. You should never do this. Portage sources the files so those variables are defined in your shell. This can have disastrous consequences, not to mention cluttering your environment.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
silent_Walker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing E17 on fresh Gentoo with legacy nvidia driver Reply with quote

white_tiger wrote:
Allot?

All I have to got E17 running are

icu alsa pulseaudio caps gdbm glib orc nvidia X opengl opencl tiff jpeg png mp3 mp4 mpeg avi ogg
polkit consolekit dbus udev truetype unicode usb cups
-gtk -gtk3 -qt -qt4 -kde -gnome

Not allot as far as I see.

Thanks, I just have to update some packages with emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world and see later if it will emerge.

Last edited by silent_Walker on Thu May 23, 2013 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
silent_Walker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
@ OP you can show us using emerge -pv enlightenment:0.17 | wgetpaste since the pretend flag does not expect any user input, this should do fine. Second, why specifying a slot? Unless you have a specific reason, it may be better to drop it.

A comment about using variables to sort your use flags. You should never do this. Portage sources the files so those variables are defined in your shell. This can have disastrous consequences, not to mention cluttering your environment.

Thanks, I'll have to read up more on Portage and the like, I thought doing it this way was the easiest.
silent_Walker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world
seems to be stuck on app-arch/unzip-6.0-r3, the Ethernet port shows no orange light and it has been like this for the past five or so minutes so I am just skipping that one.
silent_Walker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge now say that I need glib-2.34.3::gentoo to proceed, I have glib-2.32.4-r1, unmasked it and upgraded it. emerge still says it needs to be upgraded.

If something else is wrong, I included emerge -pv enlightenment:0.17 | wgetpaste

bpaste.net/show/101329

and my make.conf

http://bpaste.net/show/101332/

Last edited by silent_Walker on Thu May 23, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
imaginasys
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Second, why specifying a slot? Unless you have a specific reason, it may be better to drop it.

Hi,

He has no choice if he want to use E17. Without the slot he will get E16 instead of E17.

Code:
bt@r2d2 ~ $ eix enlightenment
[U] x11-wm/enlightenment
     Available versions: 
     (0)    **0.16.9999 1.0.2 (~)1.0.6 (~)1.0.7 1.0.8 (~)1.0.9 (~)1.0.10 1.0.11
     (0.17) (~)0.17.2.1(0.17/0.17.2.1) (~)0.17.3(0.17/0.17.3)
       {dbus doc emotion nls pam pango pulseaudio spell static-libs +udev ukit xcomposite xinerama xrandr ENLIGHTENMENT_MODULES="access +backlight +battery +clock +comp +conf-applications +conf-dialogs +conf-display +conf-edgebindings +conf-interaction +conf-intl +conf-keybindings +conf-menus +conf-paths +conf-performance +conf-randr +conf-shelves +conf-theme +conf-window-manipulation +conf-window-remembers +connman +cpufreq +dropshadow +everything +fileman +fileman-opinfo +gadman +ibar +ibox +illume2 +mixer +msgbus +notification +pager +quickaccess shot +start +syscon +systray +tasks +temperature +tiling +winlist +wizard +xkbswitch"}
     Installed versions:  0.17.3(0.17)(01:49:51 2013-05-23)(nls pam spell udev -doc -emotion -static-libs -ukit ENLIGHTENMENT_MODULES="backlight battery clock comp conf-applications conf-dialogs conf-display conf-edgebindings conf-interaction conf-intl conf-keybindings conf-menus conf-paths conf-performance conf-randr conf-shelves conf-theme conf-window-manipulation conf-window-remembers connman cpufreq dropshadow everything fileman fileman-opinfo gadman ibar ibox illume2 mixer msgbus notification pager quickaccess shot start syscon systray tasks temperature tiling winlist wizard xkbswitch -access")
     Homepage:            http://www.enlightenment.org/
     Description:         Enlightenment Window Manager (e16)

Regards,
BT :mrgreen:
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imaginasys wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
Second, why specifying a slot? Unless you have a specific reason, it may be better to drop it.

He has no choice if he want to use E17. Without the slot he will get E16 instead of E17.
Yeah, this is truly an upstream bug of their versioning scheme.
But you can instead use /etc/portage/package.mask
>enlightenment-1

and hope there will be some further logic in versioning tending to zero ...
white_tiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silent_Walker wrote:
emerge now say that I need glib-2.34.3::gentoo to proceed, I have glib-2.32.4-r1, unmasked it and upgraded it. emerge still says it needs to be upgraded.

If something else is wrong, I included emerge -pv enlightenment:0.17 | wgetpaste

bpaste.net/show/101329

and my make.conf

Did you set the arch to unstable (~arch) and forgot to do a update after that? Since 3.32.4R1 is the stable branche and 2.34.3 the unstable branche.

What I see is a note that you need to update "/etc/portage/package.use" why is that and what did you set in that file is something that comes to my mind.
silent_Walker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

white_tiger wrote:
silent_Walker wrote:

bpaste.net/show/101329

and my make.conf

Did you set the arch to unstable (~arch) and forgot to do a update after that? Since 3.32.4R1 is the stable branche and 2.34.3 the unstable branche.

What I see is a note that you need to update "/etc/portage/package.use" why is that and what did you set in that file is something that comes to my mind.

Well glib-2.34.3 was in there under Gnome 3 so I deleted that and my arch is set to ~amd64. What command is it to update package.use?
white_tiger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no command as far I know.

It is a file that you normally create yourself for package specific useflags, that you don't want system wide and is used when u emerge that package or when u do a world or system update.

Just look into the file and make sure it is setup correctly
silent_Walker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

white_tiger wrote:
There is no command as far I know.

It is a file that you normally create yourself for package specific useflags, that you don't want system wide and is used when u emerge that package or when u do a world or system update.

Just look into the file and make sure it is setup correctly

Was just able to get past that error now, and I can now almost download glib 2.34. However when I push enter for emerge [package] it wants to download 2 packages before it downloads what I want and then I get red asterisks saying the emake failed. It wants to install unzip dockbook and then the glib 2.34.

wgetpaste for unzip

http://bpaste.net/show/102565/

wgetpaste for unzip build environment

http://bpaste.net/show/102566/

The red asterisks and the emake failed prompt also appears when I do an emerge update.

** edit

Just got emerge --update world to work, looks like my gcc was incorrect, just fixed that and update is running, will report back to see if glib will download.

**edit 2

glib is now downloading and compiling on the system!
silent_Walker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am moving on to emerging e17 however I now get this error saying something about blocked packages.

wgetpaste :

http://bpaste.net/show/102575/

[blocks B ] <sys-apps/shadow-4.1.5-r1 ("<sys-apps/shadow-4.1.5-r1" is blocking sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r1

That looks to be the only error, will try to solve that and let you now what happens.

** edit

Fixed that and e17 is coming down the pipes :D. 121 packages... hope this works, if not will have to try again tomorrow Estimated Time - 4 hours to completion.

**edit 2

On package 102, dbus, the package failed to compile and am going to see if I can fix that and download e17 tomorrow. It was the same error as the post above this one, which was fixed by fixing the gcc. It is not the gcc this time I think, because gcc says its OK.

**edit 3

Could not log in this morning, re-emerged shadow and re-ran the command to emerge e17 and now everything is recompiling from the point that it left off at which was dbus, that successfully compiled got a couple packages left. Hope it works this time.
silent_Walker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E17 downloaded and compiled I now get a startx screens error. Before downloading E17 I used TWM like the doc. said and it worked. Will put the log files here in a couple of seconds.

**edit

Never mind I accidently put enlightenment-start in xinitrc instead of enlightenment_start

Thanks for the help everyone and for supporting a great distro!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: