View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChadJoan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: KDE/(no)polkit: Change systemsettings; no polkit. [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I just tried to do this:

Go into the KDE Launcher Menu -> Settings -> System Settings -> Login Screen -> Convenience tab
Then change something like autologin or passwordless login, click "Apply", then exit.

I received this error message: "Unable to authenticate/execute the action: (code 3)"
None of the changes stick.

This is after I managed to remove policykit and consolekit from my system. I had multiple instances of polkitd eating all of my CPU time on all cores after an update. Given that it's historically been a source of build breakage and other problems, including a problem with symptoms identical to this problem, I decided to remove it. I really don't want to bring polkit back.

Does anyone know how to make it possible to change KDE system settings without needing to install polkit?

$ eix systemsettings
[I] kde-base/systemsettings
Available versions: (4) 4.10.2 (~)4.10.3
{{aqua debug gtk +handbook opengl test +usb}}
Installed versions: 4.10.3(4)(03:39:22 PM 05/18/2013)(debug handbook opengl usb -aqua -gtk -test)
Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
Description: System settings utility

My make.conf: http://pastebin.com/KMAMBVaC

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ChadJoan on Mon May 20, 2013 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can still configure kdm, just not using the provided tools.

I prefer vim, but emacs or nano should do just fine. The config file is located at /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and should have sufficient comments to answer any questions.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
ChadJoan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I was afraid you might point me to a config file like that ;)

This should do though.

IIRC, that file was modified when I updated KDE. The file was too complicated to merge, so I just lost all of my settings instead. I wish there was a way to isolate my settings from KDE's changes to the rc file, because that gets messy pretty fast.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I haven't noticed any major changes to the file. I would suggest you try keeping the old one backed up and then only update to the new file if something actually broke. I haven't actually maintained this file for a while, but when I did it never stopped working between updates.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
ChadJoan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I'll make a backup of this file as needed. I have some full-disk backups laying around, but they are a pain to restore and not worth it for these KDE configs.

Right now, going forward, my solution is to tag every change I make in the file with my name and a date. This should make it clear when merging.

Thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: